PDA

View Full Version : PNR2.5W Chassis

arch2b
2015.09.19, 04:13 PM
surprised we have not seen anything posted on this yet :confused: some photos up on their fbook page.

lfisminiz
2015.09.19, 11:27 PM
Last i heard will be out middle to end of October. Nice looking chassis. More like the Kyosho chassis...not carbon. Pics all over FBOOK.

Nismo55
2015.09.21, 03:41 AM
you can see vids of the pnr2.5w in action on youtube in mod class race at ilr 9-19-15. Orange and white car

arch2b
2015.10.12, 12:13 PM
this is finally on sale on the website, PN Racing Mini-Z PNR2.5W Chassis Set, Part Number 900100.

any non factory driver feedback yet on this? :cool: certainly looks good.

Sinister_Y
2015.10.13, 09:58 PM
The chassis is surprisingly strong for plastic ; much more rigid than stock. Our fastest driver and one of our product developers is currently building up a car using that chassis and will test thus weekend hopefully.

xmodcanuck
2015.10.14, 09:56 PM
What exactly is the purpose of this product? What makes it different from a stock kyosho mr03?
I see it on Kenon's website but it doesn't really explain it.

lfisminiz
2015.10.14, 10:29 PM
I would say one of the biggest differences is the batteries go in from the bottom.....lower center of gravity. Plastic material seems stronger. Easier to put your own electronics.

Sinister_Y
2015.10.15, 08:24 PM
The battery tray/ area is also wider than Mr03, more like mr02 width

mleemor60
2015.10.16, 06:35 AM
So the Toyota LM body won't fit this chassis much like it doesn't fit the 02.

arch2b
2015.10.16, 07:33 AM

There is a min. Width of autoscale noted on the webpage for the product, don't recall the number off hand.

just looked it up,
Compatible with Kyosho Wide Bodies ONLY with side clip minimum spacing of 58MM

TheRinger
2015.10.16, 10:29 AM
Keep trying to get on PN's website to look at this chassis but it won't let me do anything. It keeps reloading the main page. I click on any link and it loads that page but goes right back to the main page and keeps refreshing.

lfisminiz
2015.10.16, 12:57 PM

Mike,I'll check. If it doesn't....you could use a rear pan car body mount.

mleemor60
2015.10.16, 03:13 PM
Thanks Larry. I have had to modify a couple of the "Yota" bodies to fit the wider 02 chassis. If the new PN chassis is wider than the 03 it is quite likely not going to fit.

lfisminiz
2015.10.17, 02:15 AM
Thanks Larry. I have had to modify a couple of the "Yota" bodies to fit the wider 02 chassis. If the new PN chassis is wider than the 03 it is quite likely not going to fit.

Mike, the Toyota will need some work to fit. The Sauber and Mazda fit fine.

TheRinger
2015.10.18, 09:30 AM
The only bodies they say won't fit is the McLaren 12C and La Ferrari won't fit, at least according to a post on their social media page. Looks sweet, can't wait to try one. :D

arch2b
2015.10.18, 09:48 AM
When will PN post instructions so we can see what's involved in the build? Very little to go by on the website.

mleemor60
2015.10.18, 10:25 AM
Curious as to weight of chassis as well. Nice that everything is positioned very low but at what overall penalty to gross weight.

yasuji
2015.10.18, 11:06 AM
Curious as to weight of chassis as well. Nice that everything is positioned very low but at what overall penalty to gross weight.

1.2 get heavier

yasuji
2015.10.18, 11:08 AM
When will PN post instructions so we can see what's involved in the build? Very little to go by on the website.
Edit... Instructions are being made...
It is a direct chassis swap from the 03 aside from needing to solder in the bridge wire to your liking:)

mleemor60
2015.10.18, 11:51 AM
So, using an appropriate length of PN motor wire as a guideline and a dab or two of solder it will add an additional .5g to the overall weight of the package. How is the weight distribution front to rear with electronics(Kyosho board and servo installed) but less front suspension and rear pod/suspension?
Will the battery clips be available separately or will you have to purchase a complete new chassis unit?

Sinister_Y
2015.10.18, 07:02 PM
Our results have confirmed this chassis is faster than the stock Kyosho chassis. For us, contrary to other comments, it's not a straight swap. There is some work to do. Specifically if you want to use the current iteration of the double a-arm front suspension, you have to do some cutting. Also, for the servo cover, it had to be sanded in order to make the Kyosho mr03 board fit (it's longer than the pn board). Also some other small tweaks. I'm sure, if you don't have a thorough and detailed guy building it, this may not be concerns. Like I said, it was built and tested by our fastest racer. For us, testing yielded a faster lap time of about .5 sec. Where our fastest lap right now is around 7.5 sec.

We would recommend this chassis at this time.

imxlr8ed
2015.10.19, 12:28 PM
So my next logical line of thought would be...

All PN RTR 1/28th car release will be on ??/??/????. :D

DMALMAD
2015.10.19, 12:35 PM
I doubt they would sell an rtr chassis. With the state of Mini-z it is much safer to sell individual products and work with better margins. I thought the same thing but if they were going to offer an rtr than they probably would have released that first just from a business perspective.

yasuji
2015.10.19, 02:11 PM
Our results have confirmed this chassis is faster than the stock Kyosho chassis. For us, contrary to other comments, it's not a straight swap. There is some work to do. Specifically if you want to use the current iteration of the double a-arm front suspension, you have to do some cutting. Also, for the servo cover, it had to be sanded in order to make the Kyosho mr03 board fit (it's longer than the pn board). Also some other small tweaks. I'm sure, if you don't have a thorough and detailed guy building it, this may not be concerns. Like I said, it was built and tested by our fastest racer. For us, testing yielded a faster lap time of about .5 sec. Where our fastest lap right now is around 7.5 sec.

We would recommend this chassis at this time.

The cutting of the chassis and servo cover is a given as this will need to be done on any chassis the AA a arm is installed on
If u run the stock front end then it is a direct swap.... :)
If installing the brushless board... the servo motor holder has a bung on top and will need to be cut off to allow clearance for the longer board

mleemor60
2015.10.19, 04:09 PM
No response to my request for information on balance front to rear less kibble?

yasuji
2015.10.19, 04:28 PM
No response to my request for information on balance front to rear less kibble?

The weight gain was measured from my total car I will need to measure front to rear balance as I have not done this... Hahaha however... The front clip servo cage servo motor and board is in the same locations as the 03 chassis... The battery's are Lowe and wider than the 03 chassis but are in the same location in reference to the front and rear of the chassis:)

imxlr8ed
2015.10.19, 05:56 PM
Weight moved outboard for stability?

Also, any plans for a lion or lipo configuration in the future?

mleemor60
2015.10.19, 06:16 PM
That's good. However, how does the additional 1.2g plus the additional .5g for wire and solder(positioned high in the rear of the chassis) affect the front to rear percentage? Seems like the additional weight even down low will have an effect on roll couple. Maybe positive. Increasing the width will raise the polar moment of inertia which could add some transitional stability.

Also, how about the battery clip question. Available separate or do you have to spring for another chassis assembly?

Keep up the good work I really like the new batteries.

refsiul22
2015.11.11, 05:00 PM
wondering how did it perform at the world's (last weekend)...

Lots of top drivers using both kyosho original and new pnr2.5 chassis.

DMALMAD
2015.11.11, 05:17 PM
From the looks of the gt mod results the shapeways chassis by JesseT did very well and the PN team did not do as well. There may be more info but based on the A-Main results that seems to be what happened.

On a seperate note, at my local track a few guys were running these chassis both with Nimh and Lipo (in AAA form) and they did not seem to be that impresive. They were probably just as good as an std Mr-03 chassis with the AAA lipo batteries but they were not head and shoulders better. It seems their main advantage is it will be easier to use aftermarket esc and reciever and the plastic should hold up much better than the std kyosho chassis. I think if you break you std chassis this would be a viable replacement but I don't think it is as important an upgrade as an A-Arm and cannot be directly compared to the other aftermarket chassis like that of JesseT or the MRX.

lfisminiz
2015.11.11, 07:33 PM
I think when Grant gets settled in after being back from the worlds, he can answer better. I know he won in pancar mod.

Tapir
2015.11.13, 12:42 PM
From the looks of the gt mod results the shapeways chassis by JesseT did very well and the PN team did not do as well. There may be more info but based on the A-Main results that seems to be what happened.

On a seperate note, at my local track a few guys were running these chassis both with Nimh and Lipo (in AAA form) and they did not seem to be that impresive. They were probably just as good as an std Mr-03 chassis with the AAA lipo batteries but they were not head and shoulders better. It seems their main advantage is it will be easier to use aftermarket esc and reciever and the plastic should hold up much better than the std kyosho chassis. I think if you break you std chassis this would be a viable replacement but I don't think it is as important an upgrade as an A-Arm and cannot be directly compared to the other aftermarket chassis like that of JesseT or the MRX.

lol. Conclusions :D
The track at the worlds was very very low grip, so the advantage it can have wasnt showed.
JRP and MRX chassis was not used! Only MR-03 and PN.
On a low grip track it looked to work very good in the hands of the pn drivers. They also used KS tires, and the Marka tires had much much more grip in the low grip conditions.

yasuji
2015.11.13, 03:48 PM

Back from the world's... Great event as always when venturing out to race with the best in the world! Things were 50/50 for me this year with literally 3min control practice before the 5min prequals I was able to learn the rack and squeeze my PNR2.5 chassis in to the A sort for the quality... on the upside I was able to tq the PanCar class and take the A1 and A3 win with a dnf in A2... In the gt class I was able to make a tq run in the first Qual so I opted to utilize the following quals for some tire testing resting in me getting bumped down to the 4th spot in gt going in to the mains... The gt A mains were immediately after the PanCar A mains for A1 one of my servo pot wires broke loose due to poor soldering by me.... Hahaha... Resulting in a dnf and in A2 my car shutdown again as the same wire came loose again due to bad soldering on my part.... That was it after claiming the PNWC PanCar title I opted out of A3... This is my story... As most know... I prefer a chassis that I can drive hard as I am not a smooth driver... I am aggressive! Lol... Fwiw... I will never run a 03 chassis ever again... The PNR2.5 chassis gives MA the confidence to drive my car @ 110%... I have to drive the 03 @95%.. Any hard than that and it goes crazy... Also the tires that I ran @ the world's... PN KS Ss front @22.5 and Ss rears taped on with PN v2 tape! No traction roll no grip issues... 1 set fronts and 2 sets rears per chassis.. 2sets rears... Because it's a world championship... Hahaha
As far as the chassis being steps above anything else out on the market?... The answer is No... We @ PN strive to make bars as good or better than the benchmark... Which is Kyosho Miniz and for us... PN Racing... We are happy to bring a product to the table that is able to be on par with the Kyosho chassis we didn't reinvent the wheel with this chassis as it is the first version of our very own chassis and we look forward to taking this chassis to the next level!

DMALMAD
2015.11.14, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the clarifications about the worlds, only so much info you can get from a results sheet. Would you happen to know which Marka tires were used, honestly for my local track the KS are really good. Still have to buy sometimes two sets a night but the used tires can be practice tires for much longer, I am suprised that the KS tires weren't ubiquitously used.

After driving one recently I think I understand the bennefits better now. Seems you can throw a ton of steering at it and it won't flip as easy. I have no idea about smooth side RCP but on the rough side the car I tried had maybe even too much steering but no worries about fipping so I think that for drivers who need a stable and easy to drive car that is still agile and fast this would be really good. Honestly if there were a dedicated lipo version I would consider this maybe over the MRX just for the price factor. For Nimh I can see this chassis being a little too docile with the added weight and the width but I guess that just means use softer tires. But I still think that this is a seperate kind of chassis on its own from the other aftermarket chassis but not in a bad way, just an advancement and better utilization of a proven concept. Sorry if I came of too critical earlier, I just needed a little more info and was too quick to come to a conclusion :o

yasuji
2015.11.14, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the clarifications about the worlds, only so much info you can get from a results sheet. Would you happen to know which Marka tires were used, honestly for my local track the KS are really good. Still have to buy sometimes two sets a night but the used tires can be practice tires for much longer, I am suprised that the KS tires weren't ubiquitously used.

After driving one recently I think I understand the bennefits better now. Seems you can throw a ton of steering at it and it won't flip as easy. I have no idea about smooth side RCP but on the rough side the car I tried had maybe even too much steering but no worries about fipping so I think that for drivers who need a stable and easy to drive car that is still agile and fast this would be really good. Honestly if there were a dedicated lipo version I would consider this maybe over the MRX just for the price factor. For Nimh I can see this chassis being a little too docile with the added weight and the width but I guess that just means use softer tires. But I still think that this is a seperate kind of chassis on its own from the other aftermarket chassis but not in a bad way, just an advancement and better utilization of a proven concept. Sorry if I came of too critical earlier, I just needed a little more info and was too quick to come to a conclusion :o

As far as the Marka tires I have no idea what was used :)
The best thing about the PN KS tire is that they all work... And each driver can Taylor the tire combination to suit there driving style... For instance.. I drove SS/SS best combo for Me.... PN chose to run S/S his best combo and another driver from nor-cal chose M/SS...
I had tested a set glued to the rims which gave me more out right drive grip making my car a little too pushy for my liking so I went back to a taped set and all was good... I was able to get my car to rotate the way that I like it to...
For the fronts the firmer the tire will give u better response and similar on power grip the softer will give less snap in the steering on the rear tires it it the same... Softer Will NOT always be the best all around grip.. @ kenon... The best tie combo for me is S/M and for PN it is M/S... Front/rear... Find the combo that is best for your driving style

lfisminiz
2015.11.14, 01:11 PM
The best thing about the PN KS tire is that they all work... And each driver can Taylor the tire combination to suit there driving style... For instance.. I drove SS/SS best combo for Me.... PN chose to run S/S his best combo and another driver from nor-cal chose M/SS...
I had tested a set glued to the rims which gave me more out right drive grip making my car a little too pushy for my liking so I went back to a taped set and all was good... I was able to get my car to rotate the way that I like it to...
For the fronts the firmer the tire will give u better response and similar on power grip the softer will give less snap in the steering on the rear tires it it the same... Softer Will NOT always be the best all around grip.. @ kenon... The best tie combo for me is S/M and for PN it is M/S... Front/rear... Find the combo that is best for your driving style
Good info..thanks. :)

Ancient Artist
2015.12.07, 05:46 PM

Were you running the smooth side RCP for this race? I apologize if I missed that somewhere and was curious.
Thanks.

DMALMAD
2015.12.07, 10:02 PM
Were you running the smooth side RCP for this race? I apologize if I missed that somewhere and was curious.
Thanks.

They were running smooth side

arch2b
2015.12.22, 05:17 PM
what is the preferred wiring method? is there any advantage for one over the other?

lfisminiz
2015.12.22, 06:18 PM
Ray, dont think it matters. I run a jumper between the the 2 middle post.Then run positive on board to the outside positive post. Negative from board to the outside negative post.

mini-cam
2016.01.05, 05:13 PM
I installed a new chassis this past holiday and was very pleased with the improvement in the way the car cornered both at high and low speeds. My best lap times over a stock (battery configure) MR03 chassis improved towards the end of my FIRST set a batteries. I personally found running a 50t motor that adding some weight towards the rear above each side of the AAA batteries really settles the chassis and gives it a more down in the track feel. I know not the best to add weight up high but doing so brought up my consistency considerably. Paired up with the new PN RCP tires it is a awesome drive over what I was racing.

It would be awesome if PN made some brass battery clips for this chassis. :D

Nice job PN!

Mike Keely
2016.01.11, 04:22 PM
Does the old AA front end fit the 2.5 chassis or do you need to get the new 2.5 AA front end? I saw that they are all out of stock at PN. Is there a date when they should be back in stock?

briankstan
2016.01.11, 04:40 PM
Mike, both the v1 and v2 for the MR-03 will fit the PN2.5 chassis. the mount different but from the same points. the v2 is more similar to the way the 02 mounted.

Mike Keely
2016.01.11, 09:42 PM
Thanks Brian. Our club is growing like crazy. We are up to about 27 guys that could show up at any time. We are out of room. It is a good problem to have though. One of the new guys is a top ranked 1/10th scale oval driver. He is looking to put together a mod car.

lfisminiz
2016.01.11, 10:20 PM
Thanks Brian. Our club is growing like crazy. We are up to about 27 guys that could show up at any time. We are out of room. It is a good problem to have though. One of the new guys is a top ranked 1/10th scale oval driver. He is looking to put together a mod car.

Awesome Mike. Good to hear. :)

refsiul22
2016.01.12, 10:54 AM
Does the old AA front end fit the 2.5 chassis or do you need to get the new 2.5 AA front end? I saw that they are all out of stock at PN. Is there a date when they should be back in stock?

Just finished the upgrade to pnr2.5w and left the AA v1 suspension. Already have the V2, but I want to test the new chassis effect first.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1744

refsiul22
2016.01.12, 11:43 AM
So, using an appropriate length of PN motor wire as a guideline and a dab or two of solder it will add an additional .5g to the overall weight of the package. How is the weight distribution front to rear with electronics(Kyosho board and servo installed) but less front suspension and rear pod/suspension?

Weight
My Kyosho mr03 chassis with batteries weighted: 153.5g (with alum top cover and PN weight T-bar.. as I raced it)
Upgraded to pnr2.5w chassis with batteries weighted: 144.7g (without top cover and PN T-bar obviously)

Weight distribution (balance)
Kyosho MR03 with batteries, no body
Front: 52% Rear: 48%

PNR2.5W with batteries, no body
Front: 51% Rear: 49%

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1746

mini-cam
2016.01.14, 02:22 PM
That might explain why I have preferred to have added weight more towards the rear of the car. I am an ex- 1/10 off-road racer; we like to run them heavy in the rear :D. Our club raced last Monday and my top 5 lap times on the same layout worked out to .3 faster on a 7 second lap time track with the new chassis.

arch2b
2016.06.04, 12:15 PM
FYI, the PRO MHS board is much longer than the ASF or FHS board. you must cut off the screw point from the servo motor cover to accommodate the board lying as flat as it can. the points on the board where you tap into power to the chassis are different as well.

ASF: 32mm
MHS: 43mm

TheRinger
2017.01.08, 11:33 AM
After all this time I am finally attempting to put together a brushed PNR 2.5W chassis followed by a brushless one. Though I understand that it's a straight forward build, but just curious to know if anyone has come across problems or issues that I or anyone else need to know about.

arch2b
2017.01.08, 11:49 AM
i would recommend opening up the servo wire pathway a hair, i was uncomfortable with how tight it pinched the wires. there is little to no room between the top cover and the side of the PCB to be clean and tight with the power wires to the PCB. I had to go over the PCB, absolutely no room to go below and up to pads.

i posted the info for the VE board, it's much longer than the brushed therefore doesn't sit perfectly flat.

mleemor60
2017.01.08, 01:10 PM
Have Kris print up a new top cover with more clearance.

byebye
2017.01.08, 08:09 PM
Have Kris print up a new top cover with more clearance.

Ha! Good call M. I could do it. I actually have a spare 2.5 chassis. I'll open it up this evening and compare its fitment to my own builds and adjust accordingly. Stay tuned...

Kris

mleemor60
2017.01.08, 08:25 PM
The Fairfax group is deep with assets. Why not utilize them?

Tammer
2017.01.11, 08:35 AM
Is there any way one of you kind gentlemen could show me exactly what needs to be expanded/opened up on the chassis/top cover. I am waiting for my chassis to arrive and would like to get an idea of some of the things I need to prep before installing my electronics. Thank you in advance.

tommy_greeneyes
2017.01.14, 01:25 PM

Hey Mike that's awesome man. Keep mini z alive. It'd be nice to see you guys come up this year. We run the smooth side RCP last night and it was a lot of fun fast laps

Tammer
2017.01.17, 01:29 PM
i would recommend opening up the servo wire pathway a hair, i was uncomfortable with how tight it pinched the wires. there is little to no room between the top cover and the side of the PCB to be clean and tight with the power wires to the PCB. I had to go over the PCB, absolutely no room to go below and up to pads.

i posted the info for the VE board, it's much longer than the brushed therefore doesn't sit perfectly flat.

I just finished my chassis install and went together very well and smoothly. I have not found a body that does not fit, yes you have to alter the clips a little. Tried 599xx, 458, 12c, lambo M, and the Mclaren F1 gtr.
I think PN may have made a slight running change because my servo wire pathway in the upper cover was very open with plenty of space for the servo wires with space to spare.

Traveler
2017.02.21, 12:08 PM
I'm planning to transplant K brushed board from broken K chassis to PNR2.5 chassis soon. Any other tips or pics?

mleemor60
2017.02.21, 12:45 PM
You would be wise to tap all the screw holes for machine screws(2.5mm same as motor screws? and then go back over them with a bottoming tap to make sure you are threaded all the way down. Be extra careful with the holes on the top of the chassis where the piece that holds the servo motor down is secured. These two holes are very shallow and incredibly weak around the edges. If you start out with all tapped holes you can at least go back with a self tapping screw when the hole fails.

arch2b
2017.02.21, 12:52 PM
i've built 4 or 5 of these already and have yet to have any real issues other than fine fitment tweaks already noted. Use quality screws, ease them in before to thread them. take care in putting them back in to reverse and seat the screw before driving them back in. the most common problem with stripping screw holes comes from over tightening and stabbing in a screw and forcing it in. treat it like a valuable machine and it's almost never a problem.

Traveler
2017.02.21, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys!

Traveler
2017.02.26, 09:18 AM
Done! Pretty impressed with layout, fit and finish of this chassis during assembly. Put a random front end on for now for testing. Will put PN black double A-Arm on front later. Look forward to getting on track.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35068&stc=1&d=1488118657

lfisminiz
2017.02.26, 07:07 PM
Hey bu:)ddy...welcome back and yes, the PN chassis is sweet and easy to work on!

Traveler
2017.02.26, 08:52 PM
Thanks Larry! Small Mini-Z track an hour away that I can run on since other tracks in NC/SC closed 2 years ago.

lfisminiz
2017.02.27, 05:57 AM
Our track isn't real big but fun to get out and do it with the guys.

tommy_greeneyes
2017.04.05, 03:44 PM
she looks sweet how does she run

Traveler
2017.04.05, 07:36 PM
I've made some changes since that picture but it runs great! Plenty of power with just a 50T!