PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Z RCP Tire KS Compound with Yellow Bag

arch2b
2015.09.19, 03:13 PM
any product news on these? curious to learn what makes these different?

lfisminiz
2015.09.19, 10:25 PM
I think they will be out soon. Longer lasting, better grip. Ill be testing some soon.

herman
2015.09.20, 12:08 AM
Interesting, any pics? And info who makes them?

lfisminiz
2015.09.20, 12:33 AM
Interesting, any pics? And info who makes them?

PN makes them.

Nismo55
2015.09.21, 02:26 AM
It would be most similar to marka v1 rear tires , but a little more grip and the grip last as long as u can use the tires ride height. It would be in between marka v1 rear tires and slot car sipt29 tires.

refsiul22
2015.09.21, 11:19 AM
and what does "KS" stand for? just curious...

DMALMAD
2015.09.29, 05:48 PM
Anybody got any up to date info about this? Larry I know you got some to test ;)

Price range, degredation, tread patterns?

lfisminiz
2015.09.29, 06:36 PM
So far...slick and radial rears. Slick fronts. Ive been getting more grip (rear), last longer. Fronts last longer. Right now i have some fronts on that give me a slight bit more grip than trued 15X....which is what i wanted for this particular car.

DMALMAD
2015.09.29, 07:09 PM
Good to hear about the extra life. How would you compare to comparable Marka tires?
You think the slick rears will be able to handle mod lipo? I really wish the tires were not dependant on the treads for grip, cause then it really doesn't matter what setup you run no treaded rear tire works without the tread.

lfisminiz
2015.09.29, 09:42 PM
Good to hear about the extra life. How would you compare to comparable Marka tires?
You think the slick rears will be able to handle mod lipo? I really wish the tires were not dependant on the treads for grip, cause then it really doesn't matter what setup you run no treaded rear tire works without the tread.

Very comparable to Markas. All you can do is try them. You guys run crazy fast stuff so I can't answer that. I think you will be happy.;)

ruf993
2015.10.01, 08:43 PM
Very comparable to Markas. All you can do is try them. You guys run crazy fast stuff so I can't answer that. I think you will be happy.;)

They will be very happy once they try it... I've been testing them for the last few weeks. Dev knows the last two weeks I've been braking track records and hot laps with an autoscale :D against ther lighter lexan bodies :p. PN has them med, soft, and super soft front and rear radial and slicks. I've tried and tested them all for the last few weeks. I found the the perfect setup/sweet spot for my driving style. These new KS compound tires is going to make miniZ a lot more fun to race with ;)

arch2b
2015.10.01, 08:58 PM
any idea when they will be released for retail?

lfisminiz
2015.10.01, 09:19 PM
They will be very happy once they try it... I've been testing them for the last few weeks. Dev knows the last two weeks I've been braking track records and hot laps with an autoscale :D against ther lighter lexan bodies :p. PN has them med, soft, and super soft front and rear radial and slicks. I've tried and tested them all for the last few weeks. I found the the perfect setup/sweet spot for my driving style. These new KS compound tires is going to make miniZ a lot more fun to race with ;)

Thanks Maj for info...you get much more time to test. ;)

lfisminiz
2015.10.01, 09:20 PM

Ray.....last I heard, I believe next week.

ruf993
2015.10.01, 09:30 PM

The little orange bird told me 95% of shipment will be ready for sale tomorrow. Be ready for the price increases. It's not going to be an arm or a leg type of price but that I guess will depends on the person who is buying. :D Me personally don't think the cost hike is an issue. Why you ask? A. Has an increase amount of noticeable grip. B. They will have more consistently do to there new way of building process. C. They will last 3-4X longer then current PN tires.

ruf993
2015.10.01, 09:42 PM
Thanks Maj for info...you get much more time to test. ;)

NP Larry,

People who races with me on a weekly base knows I never touch or practice with my miniZ car. Even though the race track is 2 seconds away. :p. I was given an opportunity to try some new tires and out of respect to that person. I've made an exception to give them a shot. After the first battery pack I could not stop driving the car. Pack after pack day after day my smile was getting bigger. :D. As you all know MHS just change back to RCP. People who dose not know we ran foam tires with CRC carpet. Carpet/foam setup was 1 sec faster then the RCP/rubber. Now the KS PN rubber its less then half :eek:

lfisminiz
2015.10.01, 09:49 PM
NP Larry,

People who races with me on a weekly base knows I never touch or practice with my miniZ car. Even though the race track is 2 seconds away. :p. I was given an opportunity to try some new tires and out of respect to that person. I've made an exception to give them a shot. After the first battery pack I could not stop driving the car. Pack after pack day after day my smile was getting bigger. :D. As you all know MHS just change back to RCP. People who dose not know we ran foam tires with CRC carpet. Carpet/foam setup was 1 sec faster then the RCP/rubber. Now the KS PN rubber its less then half :eek:

Nice. I'm also liking them so far.
Hope to see you soon.....with Davey and Al. :)

ruf993
2015.10.01, 09:55 PM
Nice. I'm also liking them so far.
Hope to see you soon.....with Davey and Al. :)

Sounds good. :)

DMALMAD
2015.10.02, 08:29 AM

To think I was going to buy some whitebodies today :p Well your secret is out I figured the body wasn't the only factor. Hopefully it wont require 2-3 sets of rears for a night.

ruf993
2015.10.02, 10:32 AM
To think I was going to buy some whitebodies today :p Well your secret is out I figured the body wasn't the only factor. Hopefully it wont require 2-3 sets of rears for a night.

If you want to think that way.. I guess my obvious secret will stay a secret. :D

mini-cam
2015.10.12, 02:48 AM
With the new compounds not being numbered what is the closest to PN 6 treaded rears and PN 15 slick fronts?

arch2b
2015.10.12, 08:13 AM
same question but for the following (RCP):
PN 5 rear and kyosho 30 front

briankstan
2015.10.12, 09:00 AM
With the new compounds not being numbered what is the closest to PN 6 treaded rears and PN 15 slick fronts?

I asked this question on FB on the PN Racing page. the soft and super soft for the back, firm is what is closest to the 15's with maybe slightly more front grip from what I was told.

I ordered the firm and some of the medium to test myself. I'm want to see about the traction and longevity.

let us know if you get them and try them out what you think. I'll do the same.

arch2b
2015.10.12, 11:06 AM
at the current pricing, looking for these selections to be narrowed down before i make any purchases :o i prefer not to dump money into 'testing' when i can learn from experience. i'm in no rush to be a beta tester or have the need to be early adopter for anything really. i'm a fairly patient person :p always willing to wait for feedback on better parts. these sound promising so hoping feedback continues to be good.

not a bad deal at all and probably the first manufacturer to ever offer a package like this. kudo's to PN.
PN Racing Mini-Z KS Compound RCP Tire Full Sample Set 10 Pair
Part Number KS200

mleemor60
2015.10.12, 11:16 AM
I would think that the main concern would be that subsequent batches have the same consistency and quality as the initial run unlike some earlier offerings. Though these seem promising I am still a bit skeptical as I have kept some sealed bags of biodegraded goo to remind me not to buy anymore.

arch2b
2015.10.12, 11:46 AM
consistency will be key to any tire offering. doesn't mean anything if you not able to buy the same tire over and over. there is a reason you don't see GPM on every car anymore... i'm hoping that the new compounds or chemistry will enable more consistency from PN as well. no real news on what the compound or chemistry is yet but the limited reports sound favorable for sure.

DMALMAD
2015.10.12, 12:58 PM
So far we have tested the soft rear and firm fronts as the ss rear were not available last week. The results were very promisig. Rear tires lasted the whole race night and then some when before we had to use 1-2 pairs of 6rears and a pair of 5 rears (depending on conditions) just to get through the night. The price increase is worth it but I am skeptical about the makeup of the tires. When trued they turn to gray and the powder is unlike the rubber powder we are used to. From what I have read about urethane these tires seem very simmilar to urethane slot tires.

As for simmilarity, they aren't comparable to kyosho or previuos pn. The soft rears already produce a very signifigant increase in rear grip and the firm front put the car on the edge. If you have people running KS tires against non-KS tires the people with the KS tires will have a signifigant advantage. The fronts have som much more grip than anything else it is not really close and the rears have the same increase in grip.

After one week of testing some people found noticable increases in lap times but I struggled with traction roll and other issues that while not a direct result of the new tires, the increased front grip put it over the edge. It seems these tires are the go to for the future but I don't think anything softer than the firm in the front will be useful. If you are running stock you can probably get away with truing the fronts to 22.5 but 22.0 should really be the starting point. However the longevity means that the fronts will last you at least on race day. If you try and run ks rears with 15 fronts the car will push badly and if you try and run k30 fronts than i doubt the car will turn at all. In reality I tried the KS rears with PN 15 and if you are going to run KS rears than you have to run KS fronts too in order to get a decent balance.

arch2b
2015.10.12, 01:09 PM
does the effects of truing have any determent to performance? i'm OK with an odd color change but not if it alters the performance.

DMALMAD
2015.10.12, 07:59 PM
No the color change has nothing to do with performance, in fact you pretty much have to true the fronts not to flip but the dust that comes from the tire is odd. I just think that the makeup of the tire might have some urethane because of these charecteristics.

lfisminiz
2015.10.12, 09:34 PM
The color is just different...Truing works fine. Like Devin said...soft/super soft rear to start. Firm fronts to start.

yasuji
2015.10.13, 12:17 AM
I have found in testing that the medium and firm fronts both work well with ss s and med rears... The firm fronts give me a little too much twitch resulting in the occasional traction roll and good on power steering the medium front gives me less twitch no traction roll and Good on power steering however this is on the smooth side rcp:)

lfisminiz
2015.10.13, 05:00 AM
I have found in testing that the medium and firm fronts both work well with ss s and med rears... The firm fronts give me a little too much twitch resulting in the occasional traction roll and good on power steering the medium front gives me less twitch no traction roll and Good on power steering however this is on the smooth side rcp:)

Thanks, Grant. :)

abasualdo
2015.10.13, 10:43 AM
Grant,

Confused? How can it be that the medium compound front which is softer than the firm compound front - results in less traction rolling?

Did I misunderstand?

btw - my tire combo of choice for rough side rcp is:

PN radial 5 / 15x trued to 22.5 - what is the equivalent with the KS tires switching to a slick rear.

Thanks

Rune
2015.10.13, 12:23 PM
Grant,

Confused? How can it be that the medium compound front which is softer than the firm compound front - results in less traction rolling?

Did I misunderstand?

btw - my tire combo of choice for rough side rcp is:

PN radial 5 / 15x trued to 22.5 - what is the equivalent with the KS tires switching to a slick rear.

Thanks

Simple reason for that :)
RCP is a soft surface. A hard tire digs more into the track than a soft tire that conforms more to the track surface :)

DMALMAD
2015.10.13, 01:08 PM
Grant,

Thanks

Not really equivalent to anything. The tires behave completely differently. You are going to have to change your setup some to deal with the excess grip. You are going to want to stick with ss rear and firm fronts for mod and you could get away with s in the rear but based on Maj's testing the ss offers slightly more grip but even more tire life.

DMALMAD
2015.10.13, 01:17 PM
Simple reason for that :)
RCP is a soft surface. A hard tire digs more into the track than a soft tire that conforms more to the track surface :)

I doubt this is the case. There is more than likely some other variables not mentioned because when you true the tires as low as we do they do not conform to the surface no matter the compound. Also a hard tire would not dig it does the opposite, a softer tire is the tire that will flex at the sidewall and grip the surface causing flipping. More than likely the two compounds have different chemical makeups and as such behave oddly compared to the normal rubber we are used to. At our track we have found the mediums to flip more (we run on the rough side so everything still flips).

The leading cause of traction rolling is too much lateral grip on the sidewall of the front tire when transfering weight to the front of the chassis, so even if two tires have equal durometer ratings and one is stickier, the one with more grip will cause more flipping. I am not saying it is not possible that the medium causes less flipping, i am just saying that there are other factors yet to be provided that lead to this in an isolated situation.

Also none of what I am saying is aimed at saying the KS tires are bad. In fact I think they are a huge improvement and am glad PN spent got it right as far as tire life. Now we will wait and see about consitency, but still nothing beats foam tire racing :(

yasuji
2015.10.13, 03:53 PM
True that others variables are in play... I never glue the front tires on any more... Since 2010 I think.... And I use the pn v2 front tape on the inside of the wheel leaving the outer edge free
Normal off the truer @ 22.7 send broke in within 10 laps

Xovonob
2015.10.25, 06:36 PM
From what I have read about urethane these tires seem very simmilar to urethane slot tires.

I've also noticed that. I trued down a set of 3402-F Jel Claws, per the mini z tire primer, and the shavings from the Jel Claws are identical to the shavings from the KS compound tires. Granted, that's not a scientific analysis, but they seem very similar in the look, smell, and feel of the rubber.

The grip from these tires is outstanding and it's lasting for several hundred laps of an HFAY config. Very impressed at this point.

herman
2015.10.27, 04:38 AM
"Mini-Z RCP Tire KS Compound with Yellow Bag"

pardon my ignorance.... does it really come with a "yellow bag"?

briankstan
2015.10.27, 07:44 AM
"Mini-Z RCP Tire KS Compound with Yellow Bag"

pardon my ignorance.... does it really come with a "yellow bag"?

lol, no they come "in" a yellow tinted bag. :D

arch2b
2015.11.18, 03:12 PM
Any updates on best combination for RCP. Reading various reports so far, nothing as definitive as Kyosho 30/20.

Rune
2015.11.18, 03:56 PM
At my home track the best combo are:
Rear: Medium (everybody uses medium)
Front: Medium & Firm (Drivers wanting more agressive turn in uses firm).
The softer compunds has less grip at our track but not that different. Basically all the compounds work good. Only small variantions between the tires.

DMALMAD
2015.11.19, 10:01 AM
Depends on if you run on the smooth or the rough. For the rough the combo is ss rear and firm front

herman
2015.11.19, 08:36 PM
lol, no they come "in" a yellow tinted bag. :D

thanks for the clarification... i guess it was lost in translation... hahaha... was pretty curious as to what this yellow bag would look like...

can somebody post pics of the tire? thanks... :D

DMALMAD
2015.11.19, 10:17 PM
Looks the same as the previous tires just on the sidewall it says "PNR" and "KS" opposite to each other. They have pictures up on FB.