PDA

View Full Version : Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo 2015 (?!)

mini-z
2015.09.20, 09:11 PM
Sooo...a few weeks ago onrailz emailed me about maybe getting some racing going this fall...and we had lunch on Friday and it looks like it all might just work! :eek: :D

We're considering his workplace, and official provider of automotive services for the Tiny RC MR-S, ArborMotion (http://arbormotion.com/) as a venue; the warehouse is still in downtown Ypsi, and theoretically available for racing, but all of the renovations have made the available track area considerably smaller than it was originally, which might not be a problem if we focus on HFAY, as we are currently thinking we will, but, I am sure we will want to do some big track events as well, and the space I toured on Friday looks like it could accommodate some pretty sweet layouts...! :cool:

More details to follow, but for now I just wanted to post something and start getting in touch w/ everyone from our long (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19848), illustrious (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22152) past to see who's in... :D

briankstan
2015.09.20, 09:38 PM
Hope this works out for you guys. it would be great to have you guys back competing in HFAY. :)

mini-z
2015.09.20, 09:46 PM
We hope so too! :)

Hippo
2015.09.20, 09:48 PM
I'm in, but if we're going to do this regularly I'm probably going to need a whole new car...have barely touched mine since our last get together.

I'm big into drone racing now. I'm actually pretty competitive, which surprises me. Our drone group has it's own Chuck who always comes in first as well...but I'm pretty happy with second and third.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again.
Dan

mini-z
2015.09.20, 09:49 PM
I've txted the following Dojo members:

Bryan (monkeyZ)
Will (will3kgt)
Deca (Deca)
Lawrence (rensuchan)
John (YoYo-Pete)
Okabe (MRDAVT)
Jerry (Jerrymor)
Dan (Hippo)
Carlos (svt-racer)
Norman (hobbycar)

Don't feel bad if you were left out - these are just recent members and/or those who I had in my phone. Will start digging for email addresses next - anyone who sees this and starts reaching out too, please post here so we don't duplicate efforts etc. ... :cool:

mini-z
2015.09.20, 09:52 PM
I'm big into drone racing now. I'm actually pretty competitive, which surprises me. Our drone group has it's own Chuck who always comes in first as well...but I'm pretty happy with second and third.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!! And of course seeing everyone! :)

Hippo
2015.09.20, 10:04 PM
I've just texted Hector (Jason) as well.

Here is the full length of our last race:
https://youtu.be/HQCjXGLVDpg

Tie for first, and I came in second/third.

will3kgt
2015.09.20, 10:08 PM
I'm dusting off my Z war chest now!

mini-z
2015.09.20, 10:49 PM
I've just texted Hector (Jason) as well.

Here is the full length of our last race:
https://youtu.be/HQCjXGLVDpg

Tie for first, and I came in second/third.

Awesome! :) And, FYI Jason, I didn't forget you - you were on our list of people who we thought might be in - I just didn't think I had your number! :o

Sweet! :D

rensuchan
2015.09.21, 12:35 PM
It's kind of funny the timing of things as I was just thinking about my unused Mini-Z cars yesterday and how I wished I had more space in my apartment so I could make a custom track just to use them... then I get your text last night.

Count me in, and potentially the girlfriend too.

mini-z
2015.09.21, 03:50 PM
Count me in, and potentially the girlfriend too.

Awesome! :D

short
2015.09.21, 05:42 PM
Oh man the band is getting back together sux I sold a lot of stuff but I guess that means this is good reason to get new whats hfay rules?

onrailz
2015.09.21, 06:00 PM
Sup, Fellow Dojo Alumni!
I can't wait to tear up some RCP again! There are SO many new toys and autoscales to try out! Sweeeeeet!

As Miniz said, we are able to race at my shop on weekends or evenings. It's roughly at State Street & I-94 so pretty central for most except Will3kgt (you miniz traveling Die-Hard you!).

We need to figure out what will work for everyone to get together once or twice per month. Once per month can be a focus on HFAY series racing, the other date can just be for fun/big track layouts/practice etc.

So who is in for what day(s) and times? We can't meet here at the shop any earlier than 6pm on weekdays. Weekends are wide open tho.

-Onrailz

Endo
2015.09.21, 06:32 PM
Short told me onrailz is trying to get the band back together. I'll see if I can dust all my stuff off.

Edit...he already posted haha
Fri, Sat, or Sunday is best

mini-z
2015.09.21, 07:59 PM
Oh man the band is getting back together sux I sold a lot of stuff but I guess that means this is good reason to get new whats hfay rules?

Short told me onrailz is trying to get the band back together. I'll see if I can dust all my stuff off.

Edit...he already posted haha
Fri, Sat, or Sunday is best

Wow guys, so glad word is spreading - this is gonna be huge! :D Rules are on the HFAY site:

http://www.howfastareyou.com/pages/show/rules

:)

rensuchan
2015.09.21, 08:05 PM
Sup, Fellow Dojo Alumni!
I can't wait to tear up some RCP again! There are SO many new toys and autoscales to try out! Sweeeeeet!

As Miniz said, we are able to race at my shop on weekends or evenings. It's roughly at State Street & I-94 so pretty central for most except Will3kgt (you miniz traveling Die-Hard you!).

We need to figure out what will work for everyone to get together once or twice per month. Once per month can be a focus on HFAY series racing, the other date can just be for fun/big track layouts/practice etc.

So who is in for what day(s) and times? We can't meet here at the shop any earlier than 6pm on weekdays. Weekends are wide open tho.

-Onrailz

I'm no longer in Ann Arbor so I'd be commuting from Metro Detroit area now. I'm working until 8 pm on weekdays so weekends look best for me at this time. I definitely think two meets a month is doable and HFAY / Big Track / Maybe an Enduro from time to time seems like a good plan.

I'm really glad this is starting back up! Going to have to put those batteries on refresh cycles and hope they aren't dead from years of sitting =P

mini-z
2015.09.21, 08:05 PM

Will, do you have contact info for LSP AKA Mazda787b (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/member.php?u=4638)? :)

mini-z
2015.09.21, 08:13 PM
I'm no longer in Ann Arbor so I'd be commuting from Metro Detroit area now.

Glad you're able to make it! Meant to mention: members who will not be able to make it for sure include Derrick (dyeo) and Sean (seanp2k), as they have both moved far way... :(

mini-z
2015.09.21, 08:27 PM
Managed to find a number for Kevin (wolfman) and sent him a text. :)

Anyone got info for vigilanterc? Brad?? Who else haven't we heard from...? :)

Endo
2015.09.21, 09:45 PM
Found the Mini-Z war box. Game on!

onrailz
2015.09.21, 10:14 PM
SO excited to see the outpouring of responses on here!!! This is not only going to be a resurgence of the dojo but an ALL STAR squad of the "who's who" of Michigan Miniz power! We are the squad to do it. Let's own it!

The AA Miniz dojo lives! All recite the mission statement!:

In the Western World, the term dōjō primarily refers to a training place specifically for Japanese martial arts such as: Miniz racing, Akido, Karate and more Miniz racing. [1] In Japan, any physical training facility, including professional wrestling schools, Dirtburners or Larry's R/C may be called dōjō because of its close R/C Racing roots but the AA Miniz Dojo out-shines all. [2] The term can also refer to a formal training place for any of the Japanese arts ending in "do", meaning "way" or "badass Miniz racing unlike ANY other". The "jo" comes from the Japanese term meaning "Yep!" or "Sorry for taking the top 25 spots in HFAY on such short notice". AA Miniz will prevail with THE team, THE team, THE TEAM.

Bring it.

-Onrailz

hobbycar
2015.09.22, 05:15 AM
What is up everyone! And what kind of crazy time warp is this? :eek::confused:;):D:(:o

I'm pretty swamped with work and family stuff but I'll pop in when I can, especially when work schedule (hopefully) lets up in a month or two.

-hobbycar (Norm)

mini-z
2015.09.22, 07:05 AM
Awesome! Just heard back from Peter (cvt01) too! :D

short
2015.09.22, 09:30 AM
got it to work

cvt01
2015.09.22, 12:25 PM
Whatup motherhuggers... these thread is so boring let's start the smack talking...

I'm gonna kick your a**es with one of these (I'm sure it is HFAY approved)...

https://www.hobbykicks.com/image/1010-400/5504359e6b13a7880e83c7ab.jpg

Sh*tcar

onrailz
2015.09.22, 12:53 PM
PETER!!!
Whats up man!!! Another name from the past coming out of the woodwork!

Bring it on, tank boy! That thing isn't loaded- is it?:eek:

Jerrymor
2015.09.22, 02:20 PM
I am in but i hope there is a vintage class.

Endo
2015.09.23, 01:19 PM
Ordered all new gear. Wife is going to love this! LOL

MRDAVT
2015.09.23, 10:50 PM
Hi guys!

I hope you remember me.
Time flies! I just let you know that I will leave this country on next Tuesday.
I also greatly appreciate you guys welcome me to Dojo. That was great pleasure that I could racing almost every weekend even living in foreign country and those racing experience with you is one of the best memories in my 5 years US life.

I hope you have a wonderful life in future.

Thank you guys again, and see you someday!

mini-z
2015.09.24, 12:03 AM
Of course we remember you, Okabe-sensei! :D It's a terrible shame that you're leaving before things get underway again, but I'm so glad you saw this thread and were able to share your departing thoughts - we will certainly miss you, as will our cars (no more "I can't figure out this setup...I'll just leave it with Okabe for a few minutes and he'll somehow use his nanotechnology to make it run like a dream!" :D).

Maybe you'll be back in the US another time soon, or maybe next time we'll head out your way! :cool: Good luck with the move, and I hope you're able to keep in touch via the forums, as well as share pics of your local dojo once you're settled in again...maybe we can do a "twinning" with them like how Ann Arbor is "twinned" with Hikone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikone,_Shiga#Sister_cities)! :)

onrailz
2015.09.24, 09:29 AM
Ok guys,
How bout we kick this thing off Saturday Oct 3rd @ HIGH NOON-6pm?

How many people will that work for?

mini-z
2015.09.24, 10:08 AM
Excited to get things rolling, but Saturday during the day w/b difficult for me due to family schedule; noon for example is dead in the middle of S' dance classes; is Sunday workable for people? That would be way easier for me...pref. on non-F1 weekends...! :o

Another thing to consider: getting the track etc. over to AM... :) Anyone got anything larger than onrailz' and my two-seaters that can help transport? :D

rensuchan
2015.09.24, 11:11 AM
Sundays work for me as long as we don't go terribly late... But it sounds like we're aiming for an afternoon thing anyway so that should work out well.

YoYo-Pete
2015.09.24, 12:17 PM
Yo...

Deca and I are doing 1/10 scale drifting on Sundays.... And if we both agree that if we have to pick one, then 1/10 scale will probably win.

But that being said am real hype to race and already pulled my gear out and am going to refresh my batteries.

Not sure if I'm free on Saturday Oct 3rd yet...

Endo
2015.09.24, 12:28 PM
Saturday works. Sunday the 4th is already booked with other obligations. It normally would be ok.

mini-z
2015.09.24, 07:35 PM
Excited to get things rolling, but Saturday during the day w/b difficult for me due to family schedule; noon for example is dead in the middle of S' dance classes; is Sunday workable for people? That would be way easier for me...pref. on non-F1 weekends...! :o

Another thing to consider: getting the track etc. over to AM... :) Anyone got anything larger than onrailz' and my two-seaters that can help transport? :D

I'm not sure if we're discussing regular/ongoing schedules or a one-off, but I could probably make 10/3 work, though in general, Saturdays are problematic during the day. Not sure if we're all getting old and can't handle the typical later time slots, or ? :p

rensuchan
2015.09.24, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure if we're discussing regular/ongoing schedules or a one-off, but I could probably make 10/3 work, though in general, Saturdays are problematic during the day. Not sure if we're all getting old and can't handle the typical later time slots, or ? :p

The later time slots still work for me... I could probably swing them on Friday nights too as long as not arriving until about 9 isn't a problem.

Additionally, Saturday during the daytime during home games = a bloody mess traffic wise for those of us coming from the highways. Coming in for a noon race on Saturday October 3 would be fine since it's an away game, but for future date planning hopefully we can take football season into consideration :)

onrailz
2015.09.24, 08:16 PM
Well, I think this is why we always ended up racing on Friday nights. It was good cuz it's the start of the weekend and also good that it leaves the main weekend days open for anything else! I know the biggest problem was that we tended to hang out pretty late but as long as the immediate focus of the evening is HFAY racing then the people who don't care to stay late, won't have to.

I propose we do Fri Oct 2nd. We may be able to hash out other GTG plans when we're all together

Who's in?

mini-z
2015.09.24, 08:36 PM
The later time slots still work for me... I could probably swing them on Friday nights too as long as not arriving until about 9 isn't a problem.

Additionally, Saturday during the daytime during home games = a bloody mess traffic wise for those of us coming from the highways. Coming in for a noon race on Saturday October 3 would be fine since it's an away game, but for future date planning hopefully we can take football season into consideration :)

Wow, that is a HUGE point, thanks for mentioning, L! :)

Well, I think this is why we always ended up racing on Friday nights. It was good cuz it's the start of the weekend and also good that it leaves the main weekend days open for anything else! I know the biggest problem was that we tended to hang out pretty late but as long as the immediate focus of the evening is HFAY racing then the people who don't care to stay late, won't have to.

I propose we do Fri Oct 2nd. We may be able to hash out other GTG plans when we're all together

Who's in?

True, true...! In for Friday 10/2 - although we also need to get the track etc. there by then - what kind of start time were we thinking - IIRC 6pm w/b the earliest, right? I can either come straight from downtown and...well, probably be there early, or if we're thinking later, I'd have time to stop home etc. - either of which is totally fine with me! :)

rensuchan
2015.09.25, 02:47 AM
Wow, that is a HUGE point, thanks for mentioning, L! :)

True, true...! In for Friday 10/2 - although we also need to get the track etc. there by then - what kind of start time were we thinking - IIRC 6pm w/b the earliest, right? I can either come straight from downtown and...well, probably be there early, or if we're thinking later, I'd have time to stop home etc. - either of which is totally fine with me! :)

I can make it, wouldn't arrive until about 9 ish though leaving straight from work. How late do you think it'll go? Don't want to get there and have no time to set up / practice.

Jerrymor
2015.09.25, 01:10 PM
I am out of town for that weekend.

Hippo
2015.09.25, 07:59 PM
I was just talking to Carlos in the driveway, and he hadn't heard about it yet! Hopefully he'll be in.

Endo
2015.09.26, 03:35 PM
Has anyone told Swider? I don't have his number or email.

rensuchan
2015.09.26, 10:31 PM
Looks like I'm going to be fairly battery screwed... they aren't responding well at all to being shelved for nearly 4 years... lol.

mini-z
2015.09.30, 09:12 AM
I was just talking to Carlos in the driveway, and he hadn't heard about it yet! Hopefully he'll be in.

Awesome! onrailz mentioned he was back, and I did txt him at the number I had from before he left, but maybe that's not the right number anymore? :)

Has anyone told Swider? I don't have his number or email.

I found a number for him and txted him, not sure if it's accurate, as I didn't hear back; I've found an email address for him and will try that now too... :)

I am out of town for that weekend.

Boooo! :( I'm not sure how much you'll be missing with this first session though - I'm anticipating it w/b mostly just dusting off our cars and skills, working on setups, etc. ... :)

Looks like I'm going to be fairly battery screwed... they aren't responding well at all to being shelved for nearly 4 years... lol.

Yeah, I'm guessing we're going to find a lot of dead batteries, hard tires, etc. in our pit boxes - will be a formative experience for sure and maybe we'll have to make a quick run to TRC HQ to get everyone sorted... :)

mini-z
2015.09.30, 09:28 AM
Deca and I are doing 1/10 scale drifting on Sundays.... And if we both agree that if we have to pick one, then 1/10 scale will probably win.

As Dojo master at large, it is my duty to inform you that you are both hereby formally expelled from the Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo for bringing shame upon us with your violation of the Dojo kun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dojo_kun), which clearly state that no other organization or group may be held above the Dojo. IF you chose to do so, you may rejoin at a probationary level AFTER succesfully defeating a Dojo champion of OUR choosing in an Initial D-style gumtape death match (i.e. your hands are taped to your transmitter!), and swearing your allegiance to the Dojo while denouncing all other GTGs and scales. I suggest you think very seriously about the shame that your words have brought upon our sacred organization!!! :eek:

Also, I found your speakers in the box of track-related stuff, so, FYI in case you were wondering where those were... :D

mini-z
2015.09.30, 09:57 AM

This is still an issue - those bays are going to be pretty slippery to run on directly - if we can't get anyone to assist w/ getting the RCP over...? :)

cvt01
2015.09.30, 02:42 PM
All I have left of my kit is a transmitter and the chargers... I'll still show up just to see everybody!!!

rensuchan
2015.09.30, 06:11 PM
This is still an issue - those bays are going to be pretty slippery to run on directly - if we can't get anyone to assist w/ getting the RCP over...? :)

Someone help this guy! I would if I was still in A2 and could get out of work sooner...

onrailz
2015.10.01, 11:53 AM
Ok, so due to some set-up logistics and somewhat minimal response to the suggested first GTG date, I think we need to postpone the first GTG for just a few weeks. We are now thinking that Fri, Oct 16th will be our target for the first event. We will be posting a new, vote thread to track interest in that date.

Sorry for the delay guys. Trust me, we will be racing very soon! I'm super amped at getting this going again!

Please make sure to find and record your stance on the Oct 16th vote thread! Miniz will create and post a link to it right in this thread in a day or so.

Thanks
-Onrailz

mini-z
2015.10.01, 09:07 PM
Poll is here:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427

Please get your votes in ASAP! :)