PDA

View Full Version : What is the story behind the EX-6 out of stock till next year?

Thorvald
2015.11.13, 09:44 AM
Ok this one has me wondering, the EX-6 is pretty much out of stock everywhere until next year (Jan expected depending on web store).

Did something go wrong with the unit and now they have to revise them?

New version coming out?

---

Curious before I take the plunge since KoPropo is famous for Rev1, Rev2, Rev3 etc lol. See EX-1.

Thanks

mleemor60
2015.11.13, 10:20 AM
I spoke to Kyosho a couple weeks ago on another matter and they tried to push some on us for inventory. That would make me think they were available from Kyosho.

lfisminiz
2015.11.13, 12:01 PM
I've had mine for months....great radio, no issues.

arch2b
2015.11.13, 12:46 PM
there were issues reportedly for the EU market due to frequency, if google translation is accurate. other than that, may just be that KUSA didn't get a lot, retailers didn't express enough interest? i believe many are simply waiting it out so they don't get boondoggled like the EX-1. it doesn't often pay to be an early adopter.
as soon as i'm confident the quality and consistency are there, it's my next radio.

Thorvald
2015.11.13, 04:06 PM
Weird, then... I gave up trying to get one as no one has it and keeps saying waiting for next year.

---

On a side note all the screen shots and videos I've seen of it shows both English and Japanese at the same time on the menus.

Is there a way to turn off the Japanese characters to "clean up the display a bit"?

Thanks

DMALMAD
2015.11.14, 02:10 AM
If you dig enough you will see that most retailers still have EX-1's for sale. My best guess is that they got a small sample order to dip their toes in and not rush and get stuck holding the bag on outdated models of the same radio. EX-1 had 3 different versions due to various issues, so for retailers they are being cautious and are probably thinking that it will better to wait and see than to carry around thousands of dollars of unsellable radios ( in the event of another KIY Fiasco). However the radio seems to be pretty good and I almost jumped on the ex-2 (same thing just for 1/10th scale) but have decided to wait and find one when the price is right.

Xovonob
2015.11.24, 10:21 PM
A bunch of EX-6's just became available on ******.

Thorvald
2015.11.24, 11:02 PM
On a bunch of asterix's? Lol

DMALMAD
2015.11.24, 11:54 PM
On a bunch of asterix's? Lol

you can't post links to other retailers in competition with tinyrc

mleemor60
2015.11.25, 07:13 AM
You can post links to other retailers as long as it doesn't include pricing. Informational product links are fine. Also make sure there are no links or mentions of any of the various social media outlets.

Xovonob
2015.11.25, 07:52 PM
You can post links to other retailers as long as it doesn't include pricing. Informational product links are fine. Also make sure there are no links or mentions of any of the various social media outlets.

That was my understanding. I was only typing out what phonetically sounds like "are see mart". I didn't include a hyperlink nor a price, just a mention that I saw some in stock. Is that possibly blocked because it's overseas?

DMALMAD
2015.11.25, 10:16 PM
Well I just ordered an EX-6 and a 3d wheel from the site that will remain nameless lol :p

I have been wanting a new radio and after seeing this in person I new that now was the right time so we will see how it works out. I figured that at that price you can't get a better radio so hopefully everything works out.

Xovonob
2015.11.29, 02:28 PM
I have the same setup with the 3d wheel, which offers some great adjustability. I'll be interested to hear your impressions on how it compares to your other radios. I've owned an EX-5UR, KT-18, and a DX4R Pro. I much prefer the EX-6 to the other ones.

Thorvald
2015.11.29, 06:31 PM
Can you turn off the Dual English/Japanese language in the menus on the Ex-6 and only show English?

Xovonob
2015.11.29, 09:04 PM
No, I haven't found a way to do that.

DMALMAD
2015.12.09, 05:46 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to put my thoughts on the radio so hopefully someone will start up a dedicated EX-6 thread, but anyways here is what I thought:

So I just got in my brand spanking new Kyosho EX-6 and my initial impression was: WOW:eek: The st and th feel functions make the response ultra fine and super smooth. It has all the functionality of anyone other high level radio and even more than the competition. The automatic st balance set made setup quick and easy and assembling the radio and making it comfortable to what I am used to was just as easy. I really can not say enough good things about it. So yeah, in a nutshell I am impressed. Honestly I do not predict doing faster lap times with the radio but I can see my consistency going up with the smoothness and precise nature of the steering and throttle.

The only two downsides that I have found so far with the radio is that the et4 and et5 wheel keys are not included with the grip and that there is not an option to buy the 3d wheel as a combo because right now I have the standard steering wheel set, which is apparently has a 60 dollar value, just sitting in my radio box. It would have been nice to have saved some dough but for 340 shipped to my door with the 3d wheel I can't complain about the price compared to the 550-600 that Futaba and Sanwa seem to think is ok to charge.

Anyways, I can't wait to see more of these stateside as I think they are a must have for mini-Z racers looking into a new radio. Plus for 67$ you can buy the fhss head to us for 10th scale which is a bargain because with the kiy you had to buy the lcd and head all in one for about 300$ to switch back and forth. Overall the radio is worth the wait and price if you are only looking to order in the US ;)

Xovonob
2015.12.09, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the update.

I really like the radio as well. I agree with you regarding a package deal. That would be a great thing. I ended up getting the EX-2 control module and ultimately upgraded to the expert grip, 3d wheel, and the optional battery case for lipo. Sort of silly, but now I have a second MHS radio (no screen) for friends who stop by and want to run one of my cars when I host racing in my garage.

I wish they provided a way to adjust the trigger tension, but I love the fact that you can move the trigger position from front-to-back. I also like the 3d trigger. Not sure the fancy PN trigger replacement would make much of a comfort difference (but it sure looks nice).

DMALMAD
2015.12.09, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the update.

I really like the radio as well. I agree with you regarding a package deal. That would be a great thing. I ended up getting the EX-2 control module and ultimately upgraded to the expert grip, 3d wheel, and the optional battery case for lipo. Sort of silly, but now I have a second MHS radio (no screen) for friends who stop by and want to run one of my cars when I host racing in my garage.

I wish they provided a way to adjust the trigger tension, but I love the fact that you can move the trigger position from front-to-back. I also like the 3d trigger. Not sure the fancy PN trigger replacement would make much of a comfort difference (but it sure looks nice).

I also wish there was a trigger tension, also to be honest I have felt the PN trigger before and while the adjustability and look are really cool, I have always preferred the feel of the plastic triggers. When it gets cold out the metal trigger gets cold too and as silly as it sounds it just isn't comfortable for me, also just the shape holds your finger in too much I think so it is good for some but it is just a preference thing. I may end up getting that new V2 pn trigger anyways and just put a little foam on top of the metal for comfort, hmmmm:cool:

Thorvald
2016.03.01, 08:58 PM
I see that "Mart" has a bunch in stock now, so looks like they are finally rolling out. Just need them to come to North America now.

I haven't seen if the English only firmware is out yet though like the Ex-2 has.

arch2b
2016.03.02, 01:07 AM
Yes, they now have an update for English only display text. Not entirely clear on how this gets installed.

Thorvald
2016.03.02, 08:06 PM
I assume its similar to how the Ex-2 gets done, there is a new updater now and you simply download the English Only firmware:

http://www.kopropo.co.jp/sys_en/radios/transmitters/ex-2/ex-2.html

However I haven't found a website yet for Kyosho for an updater.

Solo1
2016.03.17, 10:08 AM
I assume its similar to how the Ex-2 gets done, there is a new updater now and you simply download the English Only firmware:

However I haven't found a website yet for Kyosho for an updater.

Has anyone used the updater on a ex6? Can someone explain what the feel in steering does? Sometimes i seem to be able to drive smoother at + 10 and sometimes i drive better at- 10 i dont quite know what its actually doing

arch2b
2016.03.17, 11:37 AM
so you need the proprietary ICS USB adapter to update :mad: that just stinks. K USA has been back ordered for a long time and is just now scheduled to get more units. hope they are the updated units. i really do not want to be forced to buy this adapter just to update the software.

Thorvald
2016.03.17, 07:09 PM
Hope so as well but I did see an Ex-2 updated with the new firmware and it was MUCH nicer, the screen was way easier to read. Not so busy.

I'll let you know when we get our shipment of Ex-6's up here lol.

arch2b
2016.03.18, 02:44 PM
When are you being told they will arrive in your market? The date has continuously slipped in ours.

Sinister_Y
2016.03.18, 04:11 PM
I was advised yesterday they arrived Kyosho north America. MC3's shipment are on their way

KWT
2016.03.25, 07:47 AM
so you need the proprietary ICS USB adapter to update :mad: that just stinks. K USA has been back ordered for a long time and is just now scheduled to get more units. hope they are the updated units. i really do not want to be forced to buy this adapter just to update the software.

Ray,

I have the the USB adapter so you don't have to buy it. I can bring it in on stock days if someone asks me in advance since a laptop is also needed.

arch2b
2016.03.25, 07:50 AM
Let's hope the US inventory is already updated...

arch2b
2016.03.25, 02:46 PM
I was advised yesterday they arrived Kyosho north America. MC3's shipment are on their way
NM received their orders today, has anyone confirmed yet if this shipment has the patch pre-installed?

byebye
2016.03.25, 09:33 PM
FYI I bought mine tonight at HW.

Kris

arch2b
2016.03.26, 10:08 AM
Confirmed the current shipment as of 3/26 ,of transmitters does NOT have the latest software patch installed.

KWT
2016.03.26, 05:32 PM
I downloaded the update and will install it tonight. You can use the PC to set all your setting and models so you don't have to push buttons on the controller.

arch2b
2016.03.27, 08:44 AM
first impression, i like the transmitter a lot! does not weight much at all, even compared to the 5-UR. the steering tension is stiffer than i'm used to from the 5-UR but overall very nice. the English only language update will be very helpful in reducing clutter on the display. the system is easy enough to navigate. touch would have been a bonus but not complaining.

the manual is not 100% clear on what buttons to press, etc. naming a model for example, it doesn't clearly spell out which buttons to press and in what sequence. you kind of have to figure it out yourself. it's rather intuitive but still lacking in clarity.

once i set the various subtrims correctly, my cars drove in a nice straight line, less wandering then when used with my 5-UR. really looking forward to continued use of this transmitter.

i have not done this yet, but would recommend backing up the stored model data. it's nice that one can plug this into a PC and essentially set everything as well. if you have the ICS adapter that is. :rolleyes:

KWT
2016.03.27, 08:49 AM
Kyosho did a bad job with the manual. The EX-2 manual is much more detailed and almost everything same.

Here's a link to the EX-2 product page so you can download the manual.

arch2b
2016.03.27, 10:31 AM
how about this one... do we need to set to ASF mode every time we change model? the manual has this warning Model selection changes and modulation mode changes are not linked. or does this mean that if you are changing to a model that should be MHS, you need to change the mode as it will not do so automatically?

arch2b
2016.03.27, 10:48 AM
next question, is there a better bag than the Ko Propo KIY bag? i checked into that one and it's more of a generic shape to carry the somewhat larger KIY, various accessories. all i need is a protective form fitting bag for the ex-6/ex-2 (same size/shape)

KWT
2016.03.27, 10:55 AM
You do not need to set modulation each time you change models. You only need to do this when going from ASF to MHS or MHS to ASF models.

I ending up buying a Pelican case for mind. There's nothing out there yet that has precut foam. The Kopropo bag has a velcro strap. I'm not a fan of that. They do have a hard case for the KIY EX-1

arch2b
2016.03.27, 11:23 AM
the hard case looks like it requires removal of the steering component, drat. i guess i'll hold out for a bit and just reuse the box for awhile.

lfisminiz
2016.03.27, 12:23 PM
Ray, like K said...get a pelican case or similar. If you get it deep enough, you don't have to take anything apart .

KWT
2016.03.27, 01:49 PM
After reading more about the EX-6, Kyosho is positioning the radio as the intermediate radio. Playing around with the menu shows that while it has most of the programing options needed for mini-zs it is not as flexible as the KIY EX-1. You can get back the missing ET4 and 5 on the grip by buying the EX-1 grip. I liked having ET4 on my EX-1 UR because it allowed me to set the steering travel on the fly. Also, I can't reach BT1 under the steering wheel like I could on my Eurus and EX-1 UR.

refsiul22
2016.03.28, 11:57 AM
first impression, i like the transmitter a lot! does not weight much at all, even compared to the 5-UR.....

Arch, where did you get it from?

arch2b
2016.03.28, 12:04 PM
i had checked into several places, firstly the shop here. everyone was back ordered so i placed an order at the hobby store we race at. i need to support them as well :p they ordered 4-5 and sold all within 48 hours. more have been ordered but again, may be back ordered. not easy finding the accessories either. :rolleyes: can't blame shops though, the multiple revisions for the EX-1 made it hard to carry that line with continued issues, revisions, etc. now trying to find things like the drop down wheel is a real hunt unless you go overseas.

Thorvald
2016.03.29, 05:44 PM
Just ordered mine. Now to find an Ex-2 head module so it can do dual purpose.

The case search begins now lol.

EDIT: For those in Canada, this might fit and is on sale:

http://www.princessauto com/en/detail/16-in-impact-resistant-tool-box/A-p8486029e
Will check it out once I have a radio to size up.

arch2b
2016.03.30, 08:00 AM
can you post the manufacturer/product number, can't reach that page.

RussF
2016.03.30, 11:43 AM
Probably should have started a new thread but does anybody know about installing a LIPO battery into the EX-6? The manual mentions the radio will work with one. But I'm not sure what to get or how to connect it. Maybe the battery base attachment like for the EX-II??

KWT
2016.03.31, 03:32 AM
You would need this plus a battery pack of your choosing and you have to set the type of battery in the menus.

10546 Optional battery stand allow for the use of a 5 cell NiMH Rx pack or 2S LIFe/LiPo Rx pack.

The standard grip doesn't have a charging port so you will have to either rig something up or pull the battery to charge.

Thorvald
2016.04.02, 09:30 AM
Got mine last night and updated firmware at the track. Took a while to get the basics setup but very happy, tension on wheel is nice and solid too. Adjustable trigger (forwards and backwards) for hand size was a great feature!

arch2b
2016.04.02, 12:24 PM
Just ordered mine. Now to find an Ex-2 head module so it can do dual purpose.

The case search begins now lol.

EDIT: For those in Canada, this might fit and is on sale:

http://www.princessauto com/en/detail/16-in-impact-resistant-tool-box/A-p8486029e
Will check it out once I have a radio to size up.

the radio is approx. 6.5"width, 9.5"tall, 4.5"deep

Thorvald
2016.04.02, 02:28 PM
Thanks Arch, I checked that case out and 16 x 12 is a little big. The smaller 10 inch case was a little too small.

So guess I keep looking lol.

RussF
2016.04.04, 04:32 PM
Got mine last night and updated firmware at the track. Took a while to get the basics setup but very happy, tension on wheel is nice and solid too. Adjustable trigger (forwards and backwards) for hand size was a great feature! Does upgrading the firmware clear the model settings? I wouldnt think so but I havent done it yet and didnt want to lose everything and start over. Also what part is needed to do the firmware update? My buddy has an ICS adapter but I think its just for plugging into the PCB's and the connector is different than needed for the radio.

KWT
2016.04.04, 08:03 PM
Download the Xpansion Manager and save all the models to your computer. Then upgrade and not worry about it. You will need the Ko Propo ICS USB adapter and the cable with the Futaba J connector on both sides.

TheRinger
2016.04.05, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know if they even make accessories for this radio? I cannot find the 3D drop wheel anywhere.

Thorvald
2016.04.05, 07:11 PM
It uses all the same accessories as the EX2, in fact it basically IS an EX2. Here are some notes from the Ko webpage:

Can I use optional parts for EX-1 with the EX-2?
A. Yes, you can use KIY compatible part for the EX-2.
KIY compatible optional parts

>Steering Unit

10549 Drop Extension Unit
10501 3D Extension Unit for KIY
10502 ST Unit Stick Type for KIY
10525 Steering Sponge for KIY
10542 Steering Wheel EX-1 K.I.Y
10506 Steering Unit EX-1

>Grip Unit

10546 Battery stand Unit
10526 Expert Grip(right)
10527 ExpertGrip (left)
10528 Color Grip2 ( Wine Red)
10529 Color Grip2( Black)
10530 Color Grip2( Gray)
10531 Color Grip2( Green)
10532 Color Grip2 (Blue)
10509 Counter Weight 42.0g + 14.4g
10510 Color Grip Wine Red for KIY
10511 Color Grip Black for KIY
10512 Color Grip Gray for KIY
10513 Color Grip Green for KIY
10514 Large Grip Gray for KIY
10515 Large Grip Green for KIY
10503 Large Grip Black for KIY

>Master Unit

80543 Master Unit EX-1FHSS Ver2 with KR-413FH
80522 Master Unit EX-1 ASF Ver.2

Note: Can not use the ”LCD color Panel”. You can only use the color screws set for the Grip Unit.