PDA

View Full Version : Total beginner's first order

DavidR
2015.11.18, 07:23 AM
Hi All,

So I'm a total beginner looking to place my first order and want to make sure I do it right. For now, I'm just after a car, controller, NiMHs, a charger and whatever else I need to make this experience an enjoyable one. I won't be racing, just noodling about in the house (tiles) and garage (concrete).

So here are my questions:

1. Which chassis? I'm only interested in readily available new cars that are easily sourced on the internet so I guess I'm looking at MR03 Sports or MA020 Sports.
2. How many sets of NiMHs? Is four sets enough? Too much?
3. What else should I include in my first order? Tyres? If so, what and how many? Anything else?
4. Since I'm confined to the house/garage (for the purposes of the hobby I mean - I'm not wearing a tag or anything), should I be thinking drift over race? I'm easy as long as I'm having fun.

Thanks in advance.

DMALMAD
2015.11.18, 07:39 AM
Powerex chargers are good but may more than neccesary so I would say that any charger that charges at between .8-1.2A should be good. I would agree that 4 sets of batteries would be perfect to start. Also I think that the most enjoyable platform for a beginner would be the mr-03 sports chassis. As for tires the best ones out there are the PN Racing KS compound tires (SS rear and firm front). You may also want a couple sets of extra rims in case the stock ones break when you are driving around at home.

Thorvald
2015.11.18, 08:52 AM
As a fellow who is in the midst of this myself, I can easily give advice after my recent learning curve... lol (in addition to the advice above).

1. House only? Plan to play with friends one day for driveway/basement races with a beer? MR-03S hands down. (Sports).

Don't forget there is a NEW MR-03S Sports Chassis set out now, it supports the optional Gyro board. So if you are not fussy on the body, grab one of the newer ones to be safe.

2. NIMH last for quite a while, so four sets is fine. They are cheap these days so go nuts. Don't forget the TX needs AAA as well!

3. What are you going to run on? Tiles? Yes get tires STRAIGHT AWAY. The stocks slip and slide like crazy on EVA foam.

Fronts:
Kyosho MZW2-30
High Grip Tires 30 degree (no tread but nice and soft)

or if they are sold out:

Kyosho MZW37-20
Mini-Z Racing Radian Tire 20 degree (has cool scale tread pattern)

Rear:
Kyosho MZW38-20
Racing Radial, Wide Tire, 20 degree (has cool scale tread pattern)

Also grab a full bearing set as they don't come stock. That is pretty much it for enjoyment around the house.

You can optional grab the Kyosho MZW429R which is the Front and Rear LED light kit for the MR-03S, adds tons of fun for dark racing or night and has brake lights! You just may have to modify the body inside to make holes if it is not a lights compatible body.

---

Another word of advice, pick a body with a "clean" front end, nothing sticking out or glued on. These things are FFFAAAASSSTTTT, you will hit things head on and those stupid (nice scale looking) bits on the front of an NSX or others just snap off.

---

Can't answer to the drift part, I'm personally despise drifting lol. Old school racer here.

---

If you EVER plan to go racing at a local track and are tight on cash, skip the MR-03S and go straight to a MR-03VE chassis or set to get the fancier controller board, brushless, etc. If cash isn't an issue, just have fun with the MR-03S and build a dedicated racer later.

The one thing you will find quickly is that you need ANOTHER MR-03S to race against! So get two.... or talk a buddy into it.

Cheers
Tim

imxlr8ed
2015.11.18, 10:04 AM
Hi All,

So I'm a total beginner looking to place my first order and want to make sure I do it right. For now, I'm just after a car, controller, NiMHs, a charger and whatever else I need to make this experience an enjoyable one. I won't be racing, just noodling about in the house (tiles) and garage (concrete).

So here are my questions:

1. Which chassis? I'm only interested in readily available new cars that are easily sourced on the internet so I guess I'm looking at MR03 Sports or MA020 Sports.
2. How many sets of NiMHs? Is four sets enough? Too much?
3. What else should I include in my first order? Tyres? If so, what and how many? Anything else?
4. Since I'm confined to the house/garage (for the purposes of the hobby I mean - I'm not wearing a tag or anything), should I be thinking drift over race? I'm easy as long as I'm having fun.

Thanks in advance.

1. For house play, I would also recommend an 03 Sport... if on wood or tile floors, get a gyro later.

2. One for the controller, say three for the car. Check Hobby Parts dot com for their EMB charger and 800mah cells... dirt cheap.

3. Tires... yes! I always recommend Kyosho 30s for the front, Kyosho 20s for the rear. Or maybe a PN 15 front if on hard surfaces. Either way, the more sticktion in the rear, the more fun you'll have.

4. If you're going drift, I always recommend an AWD but since most people seem to think an 03 is complex... an AWD could just be that much more complicated to some. With the Gyro on an 03 though... it should at least not spin in circles every time you tap the throttle.

So, get an 03... I'd try a wide body first, maybe even an LM for the longer wheelbase but a 98mm should work. Personally, I'm fond of the 599s because they last for me, and they seem to glance off objects a bit better than most. Tires, bearings, alloy front knuckles, maybe a t-plate set should get you through some tough hits hopefully undamaged. Next step is ball diff, alloy rear mount, dampening/shock system for the rear.... from there you should be well on your way to addict status.

And yes, don't be scared to recruit another racer! I was recruited by my cousin many moons ago, within a week we determined we needed to build our own carpet track in his garage and race each other at least twice a week! Also, if you can locate a club near you... you'll really get some excellent direction... save money, time and frustration! Every club is always looking for new members, don't let their over-friendliness scare you though... it's not a cult... yet.

mleemor60
2015.11.18, 02:43 PM
Since you mentioned "driveway" I would pick up a set of the old "inch up" or 21.5mm wheels in the appropriate offsets for the body you are using. The tires will stretch onto the rims and the additional ground clearance will be valuable. Remember, a grain of sand is like a boulder to these little cars so be prepared for some somewhat erratic handling while on concrete. I would also recommend that if you do go into the great outdoors that you remove your newly installed bearings and put the bushings back in. Less maintenance after the fact.

Welcome to the forum. You will find most of the members to be extremely helpful with whatever you need.

herman
2015.11.19, 09:00 PM
good advice from everybody...

the only piece of advise i would add... get a carbon fiber t plate just in case the stock plastic t plate breaks... and that's it..
oh and welcome to the forums... :D

Thorvald
2015.11.19, 10:32 PM
Oh almost forgot, don't be afraid to order an RCPTrack for yourself and friends, a Wide-L costs less than a MR-03S readyset lol!

Only discovered this after building my own and realizing for only a little more I could have had the real thing. Oh well.

ilove599xx
2015.11.20, 10:12 AM
I only have one year experience of mini-z

I got one Sports 03

I tried to play at home first but my apartment is small,

I couldn't stand the car keep hitting my furniture so I started to go the clubs.

and then I found out no one was racing Sports Version so I changed my motor to a faster one.

But still in the race, everyone is using VE motor so I bought a new 03 VE

also I got a good second hand transmitter 3PK? and 8 sets of batteries. 5 bodies, recently I got a new charger.

Everything happend in just one year

DavidR
2015.11.20, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far. Still trying to get my head around all this but this is where I'm at right now:

MR-03S Readyset
Four sets of NiMHs
Set of four front tyres
Set of four rear tyres
A set (or two?) of spare rims
A pack of CF T-plates
Maybe a bearing set and/or a gyro

This hobby gets expensive quick!

Luckily I dug out an old charger I have lying around (an iCharger 306B) and it charges NiMHs. I just need to sort out some battery caddies (or whatever they're called).

Struggling to find a dealer Europe-side that carries a good selection. I'd rather use a single dealer for everything if possible. If anyone has any suggestions for dealers in Europe, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks again for the help.

cowboysir
2015.11.20, 06:04 PM
Check out TRP for European mini z stuff but depending on exchange it might be cheaper to order from the states and get it shipped.

Bearings are a must but I'd pass on the gyro.

ilove599xx
2015.11.20, 09:35 PM
I will go by this order

1 tires
2 bearings
3 damper system

for the first 3 month