PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire for Concrete and Painted Concrete

MDL1113
2015.11.18, 07:30 PM
I run in my basement on concrete and epoxy painted concrete on a boomerang oval track about 20 ft long both directions.

I find that if I keep the track clean (AKA moped, dry, and free of dust) you can get good traction. Does anyone use or know of good tires for this type of driving?

mugler
2015.11.18, 08:19 PM
I haven't had first hand concrete driving experience myself but a racer who had plenty of experience running those surfaces at his work place w/coworkers was mentioning the really hard kyosho slick tires (40, 50 shore!) were found to be best suited for concrete and painted concrete..exact combos front/back even if he mentioned them i don't remember but basically the firm stuff....and yes he mentioned mopping the floor before every session was a given.

dc6287
2015.12.05, 11:09 PM
Anybody else with good input on this? Was going to paint a track onto the garage floor with some nice scale scenery to throw down for the "effect" these cars deserve:D my slot car background has some major designs popping through my head, and with two buddies picking up cars the sky is the limit, not to mention my wife actually wants a z for Christmas, so we would have a good group going.

DMALMAD
2015.12.06, 12:11 AM
Honestly you would be better off buying foam tiles or buying RCP. Traction will be a lot better and storage of the tiles shouldn't be too difficult as they stack. You can run on concrete but chances are unless you want to mop and sweep every time you are going to run, it won't matter what tires you use you will end up having traction issues.

dc6287
2015.12.06, 09:37 AM
Keeping the floor clean isn't an issue, as I have 2 kids and a wife so going into the garage to sweep and mop is like sweet relief sometimes:)
Was thinking of getting everybody to throw in and just cover the whole floor with rcp, but we all agree a scenic road course is what we want. Haven't seen to many, if any at all, set up more like a sprawling Road America style course. Basically we want a slot car track without the slots involved, and the mini-z is a great scale to use for some serious modeling and diorama construction.

arch2b
2015.12.06, 09:47 AM
depends on the paint used. a smooth slick epoxy will make it like driving on linoleum. in years past, before RCp, people used textured paint like tennis courts or a sand mixture to give it texture for grip. i raced on a track like this for while back in 2003 i think it was.

dc6287
2015.12.06, 06:24 PM
depends on the paint used. a smooth slick epoxy will make it like driving on linoleum. in years past, before RCp, people used textured paint like tennis courts or a sand mixture to give it texture for grip. i raced on a track like this for while back in 2003 i think it was.

Right, I was thinking more along the lines of a porch/floor oil based paint for the actual track portion. Or a 2 part exterior product I use on people's decks when I'm at work.
How was it racing on said surface?

arch2b
2015.12.06, 06:44 PM
not bad really, its no different than others in developing the best setup for the track. something with a traction component to it, like sand, made it derivable. what really was detrimental were the wooden rails that were brutal on the cars then. it would be catastrophic on the cars today with the much thinner plastics being used.

herman
2015.12.06, 10:47 PM
Here are some ideas... But they are kyosho's dnanos... A much smaller scale.... Hope this helps... And good luck

http://youtu.be/o4XlKqWA7pQ

http://youtu.be/gp9hbKSmox0

dc6287
2015.12.07, 09:55 AM
Nice Herman. That's like what I'm wanting to do. Wish we had more dnano support by me, I have all the dslot cars that kyosho put out and know the bodies all can be swapped with the dnano cars:mad:

Rune
2015.12.07, 10:03 AM
14-15 years ago our track was epoxy coated concrete.
Best overall tires back then was GPM 20 - 25 shore.

Softer tires did not work as good, but the Kyosho 20 slicks were ok.

Best traction compound that we found for this surface was window cleaner.

Great traction as long as the track was dust free.

arch2b
2015.12.07, 02:30 PM
HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=110711&postcount=2) are some pictures of racing on painted plywood with sand mixed in. the rails were brutal.

dc6287
2015.12.07, 03:09 PM
Nice pics, those rails do look pretty"firm". I was thinking plastic drywall cornerbead or some sort of foam product to shape for rails,tacking it to the floor wouldn't be bad and would be easy to move around. Tires are going to be tricky from what I am reading everywhere, but testing/tuning is half the fun, right?:D

gctkaz
2015.12.09, 04:01 PM
Nice Herman. That's like what I'm wanting to do. Wish we had more dnano support by me, I have all the dslot cars that kyosho put out and know the bodies all can be swapped with the dnano cars:mad:
Not related to the topic of floor surface and tires, but just wanted to point out that while the Dslot and Dnano bodies are the same, the side clips are different. I got some Dslot bodies but I'm afraid to pull off the side clips because the bodies are quite delicate.

Very cool cars though, worth having one or two for messing around. Drivable and still fun on even half a mini-96 RCP set.

imxlr8ed
2015.12.10, 12:28 PM
I will agree with the GPMs only because back in the day, they seemed to have more ability to "shed" track debris better than most other tires on concrete. Kyosho tires at a softer durometer, seemed to pick up dust and debris after a few feet and basically turns into drift tires right away.

Best tires for concrete?... a good scrub with a mop before each race and make everyone take their shoes off.

Or just give in and get an RCP or just some low-pile office carpet. it's well worth it unless you enjoy being a clean freak.

dc6287
2015.12.14, 07:50 AM
Ha! Just scored a roll of office carpet and cut it to 12x24 to fit the floor. Going to drive on it for about a week and see if it'll work.:D

arch2b
2015.12.14, 01:13 PM
depends on how tall the pile is. if very short, just need to pull the fibers out of the diff, axel and wheels on occasion. if tall, it will not work well and will likely just burn up motor/fets.

plenty of tires to choose from best suited to carpet. hope it works out well. :cool:

DMALMAD
2015.12.14, 01:24 PM
If carpet use foam tires.....

imxlr8ed
2015.12.14, 02:59 PM
I always preferred rubber tires but some on here are just zealots when it comes to foam tires (and traction compound, and tire truers, and superglue for sidewalls), I think foam is excellent on Ozite tracks but on low-cut pile carpet... you may need some tread.

If you're just having fun, K20 rear radials and K30 front radials should do you fine. Depends on temp and humidity at your location too, but most of the time for us, it was that roughly that combo with variations between slicks and radials.

DMALMAD
2015.12.14, 03:28 PM
I always preferred rubber tires but some on here are just zealots when it comes to foam tires (and traction compound, and tire truers, and superglue for sidewalls), I think foam is excellent on Ozite tracks but on low-cut pile carpet... you may need some tread.

If you're just having fun, K20 rear radials and K30 front radials should do you fine. Depends on temp and humidity at your location too, but most of the time for us, it was that roughly that combo with variations between slicks and radials.

Zealot is a strong word so I am gonna assume you were trying to be funny. But realistically if you prefer rubber tires over foam tires you are foolish. This is not the place to get into this again but foam tires provide more traction, less maintenance, and you don't have to ever worry about traction or mounting tires to rims. If you intend to use carpet then there really isn't any discussion what is cheapest, easiest, and fastest... However that new crc carpet may actually suit our rubber tires better but once again another time and another place for that discussion.

imxlr8ed
2015.12.15, 02:08 PM
One of my worst vices is advice.

As a racer who has spent many a dollar replacing freshly chunked out foam tires on the old 10th & 18th scalers, who used to come home reeking of paragon and constantly picking super glue off my fingertips... sorry if I prefer rubber tires to foamies. :D

xxxmain
2016.01.04, 01:53 AM
I've been running on a painted concrete floor basement track for a while now. I'm actually about to write a magazine article with tips on making a simple basement track. After running thousands of laps with a micro RS4, M18, and more recently, an Atomic AMZ 4wd, I've found that foam tires are the best (again, for painted concrete). I have zero data for 2wd mini-z on painted concrete, but for my AMZ, foam tires were far superior to the rubber I tested (Kyosho20/30 combo). I've run both S and SS X-Power foams on my AMZ with little difference... although the SS feeling slightly better overall. The larger scale RS4 and M18 didn't feel too different between foam and rubber, but they get around the track much slower than the 1/28 stuff so the tires seem to matter less. My AMZ is driveable with rubber tires, but lap times are much quicker with foams. If you're still choosing a chassis for painted concrete, I highly recommend 4wd. BTW, tire wear is almost zero on the relatively low grip concrete surface.

dc6287
2016.01.04, 07:53 PM
Thanks xxx. The carpet didin't work out, so back to the concrete idea. Was really curious about the foam on concrete, we (3 of us) all have 2wd cars so I hope it works. If not, not to big of a hit in the pocket:D.

byebye
2016.01.05, 06:28 AM
Thanks xxx. The carpet didin't work out, so back to the concrete idea. Was really curious about the foam on concrete, we (3 of us) all have 2wd cars so I hope it works. If not, not to big of a hit in the pocket:D.

In my past experience harder rubber tires like the stock ones did a little better on concrete due to the fact that dust couldn't stick as easily.

I recently made a set of foam tires from bicycle handle grips and the tire truer. It takes a bit of finesse but in the end looked good. I didn't try them on anything other than rcp which didn't work at all. I imagine they would do better on brushed concrete vs smooth concrete like a garage floor.

I'll post pics this evening. I may make a full set and try outside. I'll keep you posted.

imxlr8ed
2016.01.05, 11:49 AM

I'm pretty sure this is what I got years ago... this is the low pile type office carpet that they usually have on the rolls in stock at the stores:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_327871-1761-B6988-20-1200-AB___?productId=3707052&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&Ntt=office+carpet

But if you got two other guys running with you already, it's worth a three way effort to just go in on 2 Wide "L" RCPs in my book.

fastmax
2016.01.05, 12:59 PM
But if you got two other guys running with you already, it's worth a three way effort to just go in on 2 Wide "L" RCPs in my book.

I couldn't agree more! You will never regret getting your own RCP.

dc6287
2016.01.07, 03:29 PM
XXX, very interested in the article, when you get it out there let us know.

On the rcp end of things, the guys are coming by tonight to discuss track and timing options while we do our weekly slot racing. Maybe we can get our 4th to pick up a Z as well!

imxlr8ed
2016.01.07, 04:33 PM
Maybe the newbies name reminded me of it, maybe he is a legit person from this production... but I had this book when I got back into RC and it's a great starting point for any RC on-road racing! Would be awesome if the "xxxmain" guy on here was actually Josh Cyrul, that may help promote it a bit more.

http://xxxmain.com/products/touring-car-setup-guide