PDA

View Full Version : July 9, 2016 - HFAY S22 Race 1-2

arch2b
2015.12.26, 04:15 PM
July 9, 2016 - HFAY S22 Race 1-2

This will be held at Hobby Works in Fairfax, Virginia

we will be running HFAY # .

http://www.howfastareyou.com/hfayprod/static/uploads/tracks.picture.8696e4ff51453e5f.484641592d54726163 6b2d31382e6a7067.medium.jpg

arch2b
2016.05.20, 12:23 PM
tentatively, HFAY may run on the smooth side for Season 22. I will update this if plans change.

brief reading shows rough side tires are effective on smooth side. my only concern with a switch is how will our bumpy floor telegraph on the smooth side?

byebye
2016.05.21, 06:04 AM
I'll do the same here at home. I've run it before and if I recall the track was stickier. Not sure how this will telegraph the bumps but I can imagine there will be more traction rolling. Just need to adjust suspension accordingly.

Kris

arch2b
2016.05.21, 08:40 AM
excellent, let us know what your findings are. i haven't run on the smooth side in over 10 years.

be sure to share thoughts on the HFAY thread as well.

TheRinger
2016.07.05, 08:16 AM
Bumping thread

arch2b
2016.07.05, 08:33 AM
fyi, as a majority expressed desire to continue with rough side, this is what we will be doing. we may continue to hold one-off smooth side events in the future however have returned to rough side for day to day racing as majority consensus desired.

really looking forward to HFAY again. now that i have my HFAY car running the best it ever has been, takes so much stress out of the day allowing me to enjoy it more. :p just need to be careful and resist making any changes :rolleyes:

arch2b
2016.07.08, 06:29 AM
it's going to be a typical summer saturday, meaning many are going to be outdoors with partly cloudy, hot and humid weather... if your not otherwise preoccupied with summer outdoor activities, come join us in kicking off HFAY season 22!

briankstan
2016.07.08, 08:48 AM
Just and FYI, the track side (smooth or rough) will be a club option for Season 22. We ended up switching back to the rough side before our race last night. everyone was much happier with the consistent traction.

We ran the BTE outside in the hot sun and it did help with traction, but as the sun when down and shade hit the track the traction again became unpredictable and the cars were super loose, so we elected to go back to the rough side.

arch2b
2016.07.10, 05:07 PM
i'm confident we started S22 off with a bang! as expected, racing at all levels was close and challenging and the results were very good. we had a good turnout with possibly another young new driver, Perry, who did very well piloting the track car around.

Phoenix was the 'iron man' of the day consistently bumping up in mains. :p

results and video will be posted at the end of the month after HFAY posts results.

helee4
2016.07.11, 06:19 PM
Thanks for summing up the awesome race day for us Ray! We had great fun Phoenix has been learning a lot from you guys!

mleemor60
2016.07.12, 06:13 AM
Phoenix seems to have that certain "eye of the tiger" quality that will make him extremely tough to deal with as he progresses. I can hardly wait to race with him again the next time I am in the area.

arch2b
2016.07.12, 06:49 AM
it's the unique ability to hold a line, even while running side by side, a skill that usually comes after years of practice, that certainly is an enormous advantage. :p it's taken me the better part of a decade to get to that level. :rolleyes: naturally, when you place yourself at the front of the pack, getting through traffic cleanly is the next challenge and equally a skillful art unto its own. I'm sure Phoenix got a good look at it in practice in his A main appearance with Bill continually lapping the field making it look easy :cool: HFAY racing also carries a unique factor that is different than Stock and MOD classes in letting the leader go by as your not actually racing each other but aiming for best personal finish. Your relative position to the leader is in the race is irrelevant (for scoring/ranking) and the ability to let some one go by (without interrupting your pace) is tuff to overcome.

Perry as well exhibited an encouraging level of skill in aiming for the center of the track and throttle control on his first race day :cool: that is the biggest hurdle to get over when starting.

another entertaining bit was john taking a car down the entire length of the straight on it's roof :p

anyone experience rt246 knuckles sticking to stock kingpin? i had an issue where the last 30-50 seconds of a race where the car began turning inconsistently and Bill noticed a knuckle was very 'notchy' in movement on the kingpin while the other remained smooth. it developed very suddenly at the end of a race and I've cleaned the parts and while it's better, it's still not smooth. nothing amiss with the parts themselves that i could tell in brief inspection track side.

mleemor60
2016.07.12, 11:14 AM
Ray, I would suspect the pin more than the knuckle. Look for a little discoloration on the pin itself.