PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Endurance Events

arch2b
2015.12.28, 08:08 PM
We have 2 classes that are heavily supported and continue to have high participation that will remain for the 2016 season: Stock Class and Mod Class. 90mm Class seems to waiver throughout the course of the year and will keep this as an option. Looking to add an event or class that includes mini-enduro races.
Club Race days currently consist of:
1. stock class
2. mod class
3. open practice, test, tune

I would love to try out some of the team racing (http://www.zround.com/wiki/doku.php/manuals:teamraces) features of ZRound.

in particular, intrigued to try to relay format in which teams have multiple cars/drivers and are required to race a min. amount of time.

a 24 hour endurance at mini-z scale is just under an hour of racing (53 minutes more or less). what i propose is a series of mini-endurance races in which teams must compete within a specific class. each driver would be required to drive in lets say, 10 minute intervals and each team member would be required to drive at least one turn and not drive more than one turn consecutively (no back to back turns). changes would be permitted within a 1 minute window. how many turns a driver does is up to the team and dependent on quantity of team members. ZRound is smart enough to figure it all out and display it all for us, just need to make sure we have enough participation to keep a team going for an hour.

at the end of the day, many tend to take off which is why 90mm participation spikes and dwindles over the year. I would like to do this at least once every 6 months, maybe mid point of HFAY season so we have a large event every 3 months and spaced out so that were not running a BTE or mini-enduro back to back. it's nice to have test and tune time and offer novice's a chance to learn with the more experienced drivers. not everyone can carve out 4-5 hours of a day for racing either so want to be sure we get stock and mod events completed each club date.

should we put a twist on teams and state each team must have a novice for every pro skill level? this would make a runaway landslide less likely.

i'm not overly concerned about 10 minute races with stock motors given we've been using 10 mains for stock class for a full year with minimal motor issues or failures. i would recommend we use no less than a 70t but would not object to stock class motor participation.

each team could drive one car and swap out the transponder with each drive change or each have their own car. ZRound only requires unique transponders for relay events.

byebye
2015.12.30, 02:51 PM
I'm in to say the least. I think stock and mod are the most fun classes along with HFAY. One hour is more than enough time for everyone in a team to participate. I like the mix of driver level.

I support this. Maybe we need to create a steering committee and we meet outside of the normal race day so that racing does not interfere. We should make a seperate thread for that.

Kris

arch2b
2015.12.30, 04:26 PM
it would be nice to meet up outside of race dates so as not to distract from those and really.

a steering committee that filters this content not a bad idea as many know, rule by committee hasn't worked well. many of us know how difficult it remains to maintain a constant on what constitutes a 'stock' class much less anything else :p i think it's safe to say that after a full year of stock class racing, it's amazing how good a 'stock' (our interpretation of stock) car can be with practice and experience.

please keep in mind i continue to make suggestions, recommendations and decisions with the long view in mind. it is with great pride that i note our club has been continuously racing for over a decade :p i attribute this to it's participants and the comradery within and a program that is inclusive and a building environment vs. end results oriented.

Mike Keely
2015.12.30, 07:53 PM
I am open to whatever the masses wants. I think we need to make sure we hear from the new racers or at least let them know who they should talk to so we get their feed-back too. I think that some of the more seasoned racers should get paired up with some of the newer racers just so they get to know us and feel more comfortable around us. I am sure that as big as I am that I might seem scary to approach to some people.

byebye
2015.12.30, 10:54 PM
I am open to whatever the masses wants. I think we need to make sure we hear from the new racers or at least let them know who they should talk to so we get their feed-back too. I think that some of the more seasoned racers should get paired up with some of the newer racers just so they get to know us and feel more comfortable around us. I am sure that as big as I am that I might seem scary to approach to some people.

I agree. When you are just spectating you can see how fast these cars are piloted around the track. I can imagine that most are so intimidated by that alone to not even want to try.

When you mix the novices in with the pros you break the ice and realize it's not as competitive as it may appear. We talk some trash just before the racing but you can see one mistake at the beginning can cost you the entire race.

@arch2b
RE:Steering committee-My thoughts are more of a meeting of the minds. We could table ideas for growth as you mentioned "the long view".

arch2b
2015.12.30, 11:32 PM
maybe we can schedule in a break either before (10-12am) or around lunch 12-1pm) for the steering committee or drivers meeting of sorts. getting a sense of what the novice guys want to see is also a very good idea.

i'd also like to build in some track time for the novice guys only, maybe an hour, somewhere between 11am-1pm. right now i think it can be hard for the novice guys to get some decent track time without feeling like a road block for the faster guys.

byebye
2015.12.31, 09:23 AM
maybe we can schedule in a break either before (10-12am) or around lunch 12-1pm) for the steering committee or drivers meeting of sorts. getting a sense of what the novice guys want to see is also a very good idea.

i'd also like to build in some track time for the novice guys only, maybe an hour, somewhere between 11am-1pm. right now i think it can be hard for the novice guys to get some decent track time without feeling like a road block for the faster guys.

Yes and yes. Get the novice group on the track without a bunch of bullets fly past them or into them.

I like the idea of a drivers meeting so that it sets the tone for the day. We have a lot of new racers so it's good to put out the basic information and expectations.

RossScott
2016.01.01, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a great idea. We look forward to learning more about this great hobby.