PDA

View Full Version : Not sure which Mini-Z to get?

jevs
2016.01.25, 09:18 AM
I am thinking of getting an RCP track and a couple Mini-Z's to race. I raced the Mini-Z with some friends a long time ago when there was only one model and it was great fun.

Anyway, now there seems to be a lot more choices and I am not sure which one I should get. The MR-03S seems to be the easiest to find.

I am not sure if I should stick with the 2WD or get a 4WD drive one?

Is the 2WD more popular? Is AWD that much better to race with?

The next issue is that I am a big fan of brushless and lipo in all my RC stuff. It does appear that these things are available in brushless now, but not much for lipos.

Should I get one of the brushless models or just stick to brushed? I don't necessarily need more speed, but I like the efficiency and battery life of brushless.

I am not sure if I would do it, but the HFAY racing does not seem to support the brushless models, at least with the motor they come with? They do not support lipo use either. I am not sure if this should be a factor in my decision since I may not have time to get that serious about it.

So, please help me pick which model to get....

cowboysir
2016.01.25, 11:04 AM
Based on your discussion points I'd likely choose some type of rwd Z.

The mr03 (whichever one ASF, Sport or Brushless) is an easier package to tune and drive compared to the Awd series.

If you plan on some level of racing you'd be more likely to fit a category with an 03.

The sports package are fine as long as you race against other sports racers.

Brushless is fun to use but the tech isn't as evolved as the larger scales. You do gain efficiency but the Kyosho bl motors are a bit "on/off" in the throttle. Considering race heats are in the 5 to 8 minute time the efficiency gains isn't that a big of a deal.

Lipo isn't in the entry levels of Z racing. I'd consider it as long as you have the time to compete at the highest levels of 1/28 aftremarket pan car. This level of racing is as difficult and competitive as 1/12 scale where tuning to the n/th degree is Uber important.

jevs
2016.01.25, 11:10 AM
I think I agree. Is the brushless 03 worth it? I'm thinking brushed to leave more racing options open and decrease cost, but maybe things are moving more to o the VE stuff?

byebye
2016.01.26, 09:34 AM
VE certainly isn't going away. You're going to find it as the top tier chassis.

I personally have never raced any other scale and have seen the mini-z evolve to where it is today. I've moved along with the changes and there is a definite distinction between brushed and brushless. I prefer the brushless simply because there is less maintenance involved and you just can't get the brushed ASF boards like you used to.

Maybe in a couple years the S electronics will catch up to the tiki electronics but you know you'll need a new radio and who wants to do that? The EX-1- Helios could run everything from the MR-01 to the ASF brushless.

Kris

jevs
2016.01.26, 11:04 AM
I ended up ordering two MR-03S after much debate. I got one La Ferrari for $129 shipped with a Tower coupon code and one new 458 Italia for $142 shipped off the auction site. I figured we will start with these because they are compliant with HFAY and we may never compete or stay interested long anyway. We can upgrade later if needed. This keeps the total cost to get going down. I also ordered two wide L RCP tracks for 378.

Now, I just need to figure out what AAA batteries to get and if I want a round battery charger or just use my Hitec X4. I also need a lap timer setup of some sort.

mleemor60
2016.01.26, 11:14 AM
Go back to the auction site and look up ACCU-Power 328. Very inexpensive and sturdy with plenty of functions. You can get two or more for less than the price of the Sky or the Power-X

As far as batteries go, any of the NIMH batteries will provide you with more power than you will be able to handle initially.

jevs
2016.01.26, 11:34 AM
Go back to the auction site and look up ACCU-Power 328. Very inexpensive and sturdy with plenty of functions. You can get two or more for less than the price of the Sky or the Power-X

As far as batteries go, any of the NIMH batteries will provide you with more power than you will be able to handle initially.

Added that one to my list to check out. Thanks

KWT
2016.01.26, 05:33 PM
If you are just going to run the cars around and want batteries that won't self discharge in a month or so I would recommend the Eneloop batteries.

herman
2016.01.26, 08:40 PM
welcome to the forums... if you aren't too particular, the eneloop are pretty good, i've got a couple of them and they hold their charge after months in storage...

refsiul22
2016.01.27, 12:00 PM
Congrats on your new minizs. I have a skyrc2500 and works fine.

If you want to save some some bucks, you can get charger trays for $5 each (plastic though) and AAA 900mAh for $0.8 each at hobbyking. I wouldn't use them for racing but fit perfect for a newbie I guess.

Good luck

jevs
2016.01.27, 12:35 PM
I just ordered the SkyRC MC3000 and some of the latest Eneloop Pro's.

fastmax
2016.01.27, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the addicition, I mean the dark side, I mean Mini-Z :D You're in for some very good times! Enjoy!

jevs
2016.01.27, 01:25 PM
I just saw that there is a MR-03 Sports 2 model out. I did not know this. I think the ones I ordered are just sports. Should I care about this? I would have ordered the sports 2 had I known there was such a thing.

arch2b
2016.01.27, 01:41 PM
sports 2 includes compatibility with gyro. i'm not sure what if any other improvements were made. you still do not get a powered ICS port so not sure it's a big deal. i don't know anyone that uses a gyro anyway.

if your running stock class, cheap duratrax batteries are perfectly fine. cheap enough to toss out the bad cells.

jevs
2016.01.27, 03:13 PM
Is there a way to use ICS if you make a modification?

The last thing I am getting ready to try and figure out now is what lap timing setup to get.....not sure if the ICS port has anything to do with that as well..

arch2b
2016.01.27, 06:55 PM
No. No know method. Most transponders plug into the ICS port now. You can still get ring terminal leads to connect to battery points. This used to be the only way to do it so not really a big deal.