PDA

View Full Version : Batteries Management during a Race

ilove599xx
2016.02.28, 07:33 AM
Do you use one set of batteries more than once during a race?

How would you storage batteires during a race?

I got confused today in my club race, I don't know which set are used already since I needed to go up to race and after my class was finished I had to stay to help next class. When I get back to my seat, I didn't remember anything about my batteries.

thanks

I used my one set of myb atteires 3 times today and I found out the 3rd time the batteires got weak.

Mike Keely
2016.02.28, 08:40 AM
Most of the guys from our club use plastic bullet holding containers. You can get them at Amazon or a gun shop. They use the ones that hold 100 shells. I think that it is for a 45 magnum shell. Most of them have them lined up in rows of four cells. They will install them all in one direction when they arrive. After a pack is charged the will put them back in the case with the opposite side facing up so they know that it is a fully charged pack. After they run the pack they will put the ran pack back in the container the way that all of the uncharged packs were installed.

We all only run our packs once a day.

fastmax
2016.02.28, 09:31 AM
I use one of these http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21214&cat=299&page=3 and as was said by Mike, I flip the cells that have been run the opposite direction of the cells that are charged.

briankstan
2016.02.28, 11:27 AM
I use the PN battery box. I've attached a picture of how I keep track of my batteries between charged, used and discharged. it's worked very well for me for several years.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34839&stc=1&d=1456676578

Jshwaa
2016.02.28, 07:20 PM
Of course all the above tips are good, but nothing beats verifying. You can use a meter and measure the voltage. For a new race, use the cells with the highest voltage.

bmmcwhirt
2016.03.02, 04:14 PM
Here is a link to one of the cases on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q019UY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2A0S40UFKHUUU&coliid=I1XS54E5B0SOS9&psc=1

There are many others, anything from 50 to 200 rounds. I'm new here but I use these to keep batteries on hand for emergency radios in my car. There are many others but any that will hold 44mag/45cal should be suitable for both AAA and AA batteries. These work far better than the ones dedicated for batteries as they take up more space.

arch2b
2016.03.03, 08:37 AM
Here is a link to one of the cases on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q019UY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2A0S40UFKHUUU&coliid=I1XS54E5B0SOS9&psc=1

There are many others, anything from 50 to 200 rounds. I'm new here but I use these to keep batteries on hand for emergency radios in my car. There are many others but any that will hold 44mag/45cal should be suitable for both AAA and AA batteries. These work far better than the ones dedicated for batteries as they take up more space.

Simply put ammo cases are the best investment per dollar over any dedicated battery case which tend to be less efficient on space and far more costly than necessary. It really is a shame but these ammo cases are produced in exponentially larger quantities which AIDS in making them cheaper and easier to find. I've been using 50 or 100 round cases for more than a decade and only replaced them when I got bored of looking at the same color.

bmmcwhirt
2016.03.03, 10:06 AM
Simply put ammo cases are the best investment per dollar over any dedicated battery case which tend to be less efficient on space and far more costly than necessary. It really is a shame but these ammo cases are produced in exponentially larger quantities which AIDS in making them cheaper and easier to find. I've been using 50 or 100 round cases for more than a decade and only replaced them when I got bored of looking at the same color.

If you get bored of the color grab some paint and go psychedelic on it. You can also use paint to section off areas for charged/used/depleted to make it easier to keep track.

That said I have had a plastic hinge or two wear out and or crack over the years, but at the cost if it last me a year I still got my money out of it.

Since we are talking about batteries I figure I'll mention that NiCad and NiMH should be charged at C/10. I have yet to find a good smart parallel charger that will charge 12+ AA/AAA. The best I've found so far is the Lacrosse BC-700 (https://www(dot)lacrossetechnology(.)com/bc700/index.php) which only charges 4 at a time and defaults to 200ma charge rate which is it's lowest. I wish they made this model but charging 8 instead of 4.

arch2b
2016.03.03, 11:32 AM
Since they only cost a couple bucks, hard to justify the time to customize vs. simply buy a new one and recycle the old. Time is a valuable commodity when you have little of it left for hobbies :)

ilove599xx
2016.03.04, 01:21 AM
thanks for the reply, I would get the ammo box here