PDA

View Full Version : Rule change for Box Stock Class

abasualdo
2016.04.01, 12:27 PM
As many of you are aware, all box stock cars are not created equal. In the past the LM box stock platform always held a distinct advantage over the other platforms because of the built-in damper system that all LM cars come equipped with.

In an effort to better equalize the various box stock platforms, I am initiating an amendment to the rule to allow an after market damper system to be utilized for the 98mm box stock platforms.

To keep the cost down, I am recommending any of the PN Racing DDS systems, retail value between 20.00 to 25.00 dollars. The stock spring shock can be used, but no after market oil filled shock systems are allowed.

Thank you

lfisminiz
2016.04.01, 12:51 PM
We will get back to you with some part #s.

abasualdo
2016.04.01, 01:14 PM
Recommended PN Racing DDS part numbers:

MR2060* - Standard($19.88)
MR2061* - Black Graphite($22.99)
MR2063* - Silver Graphite($22.99)

* denotes color option - orange, blue or silver

EMU
2016.04.06, 04:58 PM
If I may make a suggestion... Which would be to use the 3racing DDS for all chassis 86-98mm. http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=22291&cat=365&page=1

I know that it is not in stock here, but it typically sells for under $15, and has the largest compatibility out of any DDS on the market. Should bee a winner on all fronts. The only issues would be availability, since I don't know what is currentmy accessible...

Edit: looks like it is no longer available, may be able to find one or two, but not readily available :( that was my most used dds... I would buy them in bulk, and use them on many test cars and were great handouts when someone needed a dds for any configuration.

lfisminiz
2016.04.06, 08:32 PM
If I may make a suggestion... Which would be to use the 3racing DDS for all chassis 86-98mm. http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=22291&cat=365&page=1

I know that it is not in stock here, but it typically sells for under $15, and has the largest compatibility out of any DDS on the market. Should bee a winner on all fronts. The only issues would be availability, since I don't know what is currentmy accessible...

Edit: looks like it is no longer available, may be able to find one or two, but not readily available :( that was my most used dds... I would buy them in bulk, and use them on many test cars and were great handouts when someone needed a dds for any configuration.
Thanks anyway Eugene. :) We were going for least expensive and most available. The PN set-up is available and reasonable.

EMU
2016.04.06, 09:26 PM
That's what I figured, and why I made the suggestion that I did. Too bad that it's no longer available, it would have fit the bill perfectly. Btw, I completely agree that either all chassis should get a dds, or none. The fact that the LM comes with one, and the others don't just isn't fair when racing them together. Gives no reason to use anything other than LM.

lfisminiz
2016.04.06, 09:48 PM
That's what I figured, and why I made the suggestion that I did. Too bad that it's no longer available, it would have fit the bill perfectly. Btw, I completely agree that either all chassis should get a dds, or none. The fact that the LM comes with one, and the others don't just isn't fair when racing them together. Gives no reason to use anything other than LM.

That was our thought. The sports 2 sets aren't available in LM from what we've seen. So we needed to even out a normal 98mm car.

EMU
2016.04.06, 09:56 PM
I know it's off topic, but how do sports2 run? Are they 2 or 4 fet?

lfisminiz
2016.04.07, 05:05 AM
Haven't opened it up. Should be same as version 1, I believe. They run pretty good. We had some static issues with some last time but good other wise.

arch2b
2016.04.07, 06:20 AM
Haven't opened it up. Should be same as version 1, I believe. They run pretty good. We had some static issues with some last time but good other wise.

can you email or pm me on the static issues? we are finding the same problem at hobby works. the dryer the air, the worse it is. don't want to hijack this thread....

bobbyz
2016.04.07, 01:15 PM
Our club had this issue at first, and they used an anit-static spray, and have had no issues since. I'm not sure of specific product or exact process, as it was a few months before I joined. I'll try and get more info and give an update on what exactly they did to resolve the static issue with our club track.

Bob

arch2b
2016.04.07, 01:26 PM
Our club had this issue at first, and they used an anit-static spray, and have had no issues since. I'm not sure of specific product or exact process, as it was a few months before I joined. I'll try and get more info and give an update on what exactly they did to resolve the static issue with our club track.

Bob

i appreciate it it, please pm/email me with the info. :cool:

lfisminiz
2016.04.07, 06:13 PM

Bob

Yes, please get back to us on product and procedure.....THANKS.

lfisminiz
2016.04.07, 06:15 PM
can you email or pm me on the static issues? we are finding the same problem at hobby works. the dryer the air, the worse it is. don't want to hijack this thread....

Ray, not much to tell you. First really noticed it last race day. Cars would stop running at times. I have a sport 2, i dont think i had an issue that day. Were not sure what we will do this Sunday (race day).

bobbyz
2016.04.13, 05:07 PM
We use Sports Series for our stock class, and there are a couple drivers who have LM bodies with the disk damper rear suspension. So far we've just allowed changes to: bearings, front springs, rear oil shock, tires, wheels. That's about it, and the competition has stayed pretty level. On my Mod car however, I changed to a disk damper only, and thought it was a noticeable improvement over just the oil shock.

Regarding the static issue we had at our club. They used Static Guard, and did a rebind all cars. Sounds like it made the problem go away altogether. I've had zero issues with my Sports series car on our track since. Can't hurt to give it a try.

lfisminiz
2016.04.13, 08:26 PM
Thanks for info. :)

arch2b
2016.04.14, 06:27 AM
need to double check that Static Guard doesn't otherwise negatively affect the foam before i use it on ours. thanks for confirming the product.

mleemor60
2016.04.14, 08:30 AM
Ray, spray the static guard on a cloth and wipe down the bottom of the car and body with it. It evaporates pretty quickly but is a little oily feeling if applied too wet. I personally would not spray it on the track. I think a wet type carpet cleaner would work better. it deep cleans all the dust and rubber build up out of the surface while giving it some moisture. This alone will reduce static build up during low humidity conditions.

Mike Keely
2016.04.14, 03:56 PM
No Mike, we want something that deep cleans and shines as well!!!:eek::D

mleemor60
2016.04.14, 05:41 PM
The only trouble with a "deep clean" is that it might affect some of the off brand tires you use since they will not have anything to grab. Doesn't bother the K20 and K30 rubber though. Better still, switch to the other side of the RCP. You know, the pavement side where all the traction is. Traction goes up by about 40% and tire wear decreases by about 70%. Cars stay a lot cleaner too.

KWT
2016.04.14, 09:27 PM
I've suggested that they change to the smooth side but unless HFAY changes to the smooth side we are stuck with the rough side :(

Dusty Weasle
2016.05.15, 11:54 PM
I just saw this static question. Many years ago at Mini-AZ we tried Static Guard on an AD car that was having glitch problems. After a short while the spray transferred from the car onto the RCP, causing all our cars to slide around like we were hydroplaning! I don't recall what we did to clean the track (maybe damp towels), but the spray came off and the track returned to normal the same day.

Regarding the track flip, we have recently flipped our track to the smooth side. After 10 years of use the rough side was badly worn out causing inconsistent grip and even worse, every race a car would drop out due to the steering servo getting jammed by specks of RCP dust. Now, even after a decade of being on the ground, the smooth side is providing decent and consistent grip. And after a run the inside of the car is RCP dust free, just regular dust, depending on vacuuming.

arch2b
2016.05.16, 06:43 AM
I've suggested that they change to the smooth side but unless HFAY changes to the smooth side we are stuck with the rough side :(

if someone wants to buy 3 Wide L to keep on smooth side for the club, i'm eager to run on the smooth side as well. otherwise, need to keep 2 Wide L on rough side for HFAY, to which we are steadfast supporters. i wouldn't say it's impossible that HFAY switch, just hasn't happened...

with humidity coming back up, we haven't seen this be an issue. tends to only be during drier weather when static build up is more prevalent.

apologies for the interruption in the thread. :o

lfisminiz
2016.05.16, 05:57 PM
if someone wants to buy 3 Wide L to keep on smooth side for the club, i'm eager to run on the smooth side as well. otherwise, need to keep 2 Wide L on rough side for HFAY, to which we are steadfast supporters. i wouldn't say it's impossible that HFAY switch, just hasn't happened...

with humidity coming back up, we haven't seen this be an issue. tends to only be during drier weather when static build up is more prevalent.

apologies for the interruption in the thread. :o

No problem, Ray. Always good to hear other suggestions.

lfisminiz
2016.05.16, 05:58 PM
I just saw this static question. Many years ago at Mini-AZ we tried Static Guard on an AD car that was having glitch problems. After a short while the spray transferred from the car onto the RCP, causing all our cars to slide around like we were hydroplaning! I don't recall what we did to clean the track (maybe damp towels), but the spray came off and the track returned to normal the same day.

Regarding the track flip, we have recently flipped our track to the smooth side. After 10 years of use the rough side was badly worn out causing inconsistent grip and even worse, every race a car would drop out due to the steering servo getting jammed by specks of RCP dust. Now, even after a decade of being on the ground, the smooth side is providing decent and consistent grip. And after a run the inside of the car is RCP dust free, just regular dust, depending on vacuuming.

Thanks for info.