PDA

View Full Version : Smooth vs. Rough

arch2b
2016.05.19, 01:14 PM
Is there any consideration for taking a season to run the smooth side? I'd love to get the opportunity to do this and we have 21 seasons of track data for the rough side for comparison data ;)

briankstan
2016.05.19, 03:09 PM
I'm game, I'd like to see the comparison as well.

mleemor60
2016.05.19, 05:15 PM
You'll be glad you did.

lfisminiz
2016.05.19, 08:15 PM
Al might switch our track over if time permits for Sunday race day.

sower
2016.05.24, 10:33 AM
Please post your findings once you've given this a try - I'm very interested in hearing your take!

briankstan
2016.05.24, 02:32 PM
I think the clubs participating for next season are game for giving the smooth side of the track a go.

I think we should give it a try for Season 22 and see what we all think. :)

lfisminiz
2016.05.24, 07:08 PM
Please post your findings once you've given this a try - I'm very interested in hearing your take!

Only have a couple hours on it but im happy we switched. We were short on time but i ran my cars exactly the same set-up as rough side. Very little change needed. When we race again, if anything, a slight push. Thats what i would slightly tweek. Less RCP dirt. Seemed smoother (track surface). Only slight possible negative would be if 2 cars got together in a turn...maybe a possibility of 1 car flipping instead of slidding? Not enogh time on that point. Over all so far..happy we finally made the switch. Our times seemed comparable as rough side but in practice at the end of day...i believe we had our fastest times ever.

TeeSquared
2016.05.25, 06:19 PM
Only slight possible negative would be if 2 cars got together in a turn...maybe a possibility of 1 car flipping instead of slidding? Not enogh time on that point.

I would think that the rough side would make this worse, not the smooth side :confused: I have chronic traction rolling problems on the rough RCP side (mostly my driving style) and considered switching to smooth to see if I can drive harder on it. You say it makes it more likely to have a car flip?

lfisminiz
2016.05.25, 07:11 PM
I would think that the rough side would make this worse, not the smooth side :confused: I have chronic traction rolling problems on the rough RCP side (mostly my driving style) and considered switching to smooth to see if I can drive harder on it. You say it makes it more likely to have a car flip?

Let me be more clear...i had zero traction roll issue.
Im saying if your going in a corner and somebody hits you or clips you, maybe your car would roll/flip from the hit......not sure yet.
AGAIN, no traction roll and i pushed it hard in the fastest corner...;)
Hope i cleared that up.:)

TeeSquared
2016.05.25, 09:44 PM
Im saying if your going in a corner and somebody hits you or clips you, maybe your car would roll/flip from the hit......not sure yet.
AGAIN, no traction roll and i pushed it hard in the fastest corner...;)

Interesting.

I wonder what forces are at work to make flippage more likely from a collision? And not hard driving?

Either way, the idea still intrigues me and I want to try it. Now to find the motivation to flip my track :rolleyes::p

lfisminiz
2016.05.25, 10:41 PM
Interesting.

I wonder what forces are at work to make flippage more likely from a collision? And not hard driving?

Either way, the idea still intrigues me and I want to try it. Now to find the motivation to flip my track :rolleyes::p

Get some friends to help.:D like I said....not sure on collision yet till back at track.

briankstan
2016.06.12, 01:45 PM
so Running a 2 wide L track this is what I have noticed so far. I flipped 2 tracks and cleaned and wet mopped to pick up any dust.

The track isn't as fast, the traction is down from the rough side from what I can tell and even with some changes to my setup the back of my car is tail happy. something I usually never have a problem with and something I really don't like.

I have received some feedback via email as well that quite a few of the drivers are not really happy with the the characteristics as well.

I think we'll fiinsh up running the BTE on the Smooth side and we'll make running on the smooth side a club option for those clubs that want to do it.

Let me know your feedback. thanks.

arch2b
2016.06.12, 04:21 PM
We had similar experiences. PN KS tires were the only thing That gave good traction. Consistency was an issue all day for us.
Oddly enough the layout was smoother overall given our uneven floor.

My HFAY car ran nearly as well on smooth. My mod car however was just as you described, wholly inconsistent and tail happy. Marka 10 help settle down it down but it was a frustrating experience.

lfisminiz
2016.06.12, 08:39 PM
so Running a 2 wide L track this is what I have noticed so far. I flipped 2 tracks and cleaned and wet mopped to pick up any dust.

The track isn't as fast, the traction is down from the rough side from what I can tell and even with some changes to my setup the back of my car is tail happy. something I usually never have a problem with and something I really don't like.

I have received some feedback via email as well that quite a few of the drivers are not really happy with the the characteristics as well.

I think we'll fiinsh up running the BTE on the Smooth side and we'll make running on the smooth side a club option for those clubs that want to do it.

Let me know your feedback. thanks.

Strangely enough...seems like we have plenty rear traction. If anything, a slight push on some of my cars, which tires or slight tuning fixed. From rough side, times were equal or faster on smooth.

lfisminiz
2016.06.12, 08:43 PM
I might also suggest to get help from Grant and Philip on this. Should be able to help.

DMALMAD
2016.06.12, 11:54 PM
Marka stickers on your autoscale give 2 tenths a lap and 95% consistency :cool:

Only kidding of course but I would imagine V1 10 deg should fix traction problems. Tires are always the most important tuning option so that should be the go to when things start to go awry whether your run smooth or rough side.

betty.k
2016.07.10, 09:16 AM
We ran smooth side at Burn City mini z and it favoured the 2wd but the awd crowd had issues. So much so that i actually finished high in the ranking as opposed to really low.

My vote is definitely for smooth!:D

briankstan
2016.07.11, 08:03 AM
We will leave it as a "Club Option". The club can decide what side they want to run on and just follow the layout. should be a good way to mix it up and keep all the clubs happy with what they want to do.