PDA

View Full Version : Clueless Newb...

Rodagoose
2016.09.10, 12:49 PM
Just got a M03 Sport2 with the McLaren 12C GT3 body. I have no experience with road cars or with micros so this is all new to me. After a few runs on my hardwood floors I have a few questions. I'm sure this has all been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything with the search feature.

General info: For now there is no racing in my future. I don't know of any clubs around that run mini-z races so it's not a factor. Planning on getting a couple cars and setting up a small track in my house for bad weather/indoor fun.

Tires: Stock tires on a wood floor yields very little traction. I'm basically steering the car with the throttle which is fun but I think more traction would be good. I really like the look of the radial tires but don't want to spend money based on looks alone. Any suggestions for a “general use” tire that should give better traction then stock?

Bearings: I'd like to order a bearing set. I work on small high precision mechanical things in real life and bushings make me break out in hives. Can't imagine that going to a ball bearing set could be bad.

Ball bearing diff: I'm not sure how the stock differential is built but it pulls like crazy during acceleration. Is there a “better” differential available?

Track considerations: I think the RCP Mini-96 track looks awesome. Worth the money? Lanes too narrow? General feedback?

I've also noticed that one side of my front suspension binds up. Seems like the axle carrier thingy gets stuck on the vertical suspension rod thingy. I'm going to have to investigate this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to a newb.

cowboysir
2016.09.10, 04:31 PM
1. General use is great but for the most part racing is where the action is....getting together and running time trails or head to head on a mini 96 is a basic start that you'd appreciate.

2. kyosho tires are a cheap "standard tire" that are better than the ready set tires. Try 20 rears and 30 fronts but keeping them dust free is key on hardwood floors.

3.get bearings. :D

4. A 48 pitch ball diff will help smooth acceleration. I like Kyosho's version. Polish the diff plates makes a good diff better.

A mini 96 is good for 2 people and you can get middle expansion tiles if you can widen in the space you have available. I like the rough side but a lot like running the smooth side. The rcp is worth it if you have tested space.

A little polishing or fluorine oil will help free up any sticking /binding parts.

Start with the basics and learn to drive as stock as possible before getting spendy on hopups.

Have fun!

Rodagoose
2016.09.10, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback cowboysir I think I'm probably going to order a bearing kit and tires. Then just get some practice in. If possible I'll try to justify the price of an RCP track to myself so I don't have to keep fighting this hardwood floor!

Is there any trick to mounting new tires on my wheels? Any glue required or anything?

cowboysir
2016.09.11, 09:13 AM
Double sided tire tape is good enough until you get serious.

herman
2016.09.11, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forums...
Looks like cowboysir has pointed you out in the right direction. Initially I would hold off buying a ball diff... So apart from softer tires and bearings, I would suggest an extra carbon fiber t-plate in case the stock one breaks...

Clean the hardwood floors as tires are known to pick up any dust on them, ultimately leaving you with little to no traction. If you have the space several 50cm L tracks (bigger than the mini96) might be better...

Good luck and hope this helps

Rodagoose
2016.09.12, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've moved from my wood floors upstairs to my painted concrete downstairs. Traction is much better downstairs. Also realized some of my differential issues were due to dog hair jamming it up. More traction and a better functioning diff = more fun!

I'll probably still order tires, bearings and a t-plate. Probably don't NEED them but I like to tinker.

I think I'm going to set up some kind of track downstairs so I can experiment with different lane widths. I like the idea of a more technical, slower speed track (like the mini 96) but want to make sure I'm not tricking myself. I might even have enough space to do a mini 96 with some expansion tiles. We'll see. I also would like to purchase a second car so I can try to con people into some head to head racing!

Minizorro
2016.09.12, 06:46 PM
A zero cost tweak I recommend is reversing the kingpin (you'll find plenty info on any forum) but in simple terms means putting the fixed ball of the kingpin on the top suspension arms and the ball with the kingpin hole on the bottom suspension plate, reversing the way it's mounted on a stock mini-z out of the box. This makes suspension travel less prone to binding and is one of those things I don't u understand why kyosho doesn't setup by default.
Only negative side is the stock kingpin is a tad longer than necessary and will reduce ground clearance, not a problem when running on track but on home floors might cause some problems

Petrokl
2016.09.14, 08:28 AM
Do you mean this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwryGi1_7Io

Minizorro
2016.09.14, 03:24 PM
yes precisely.
You don't need the PN hopups, you can do it with the standard kingpin and suspension, just put the fixed ball on the top and the one with whole in the bottom. No need for eclip at the bottom as well

Nsxtat
2016.09.16, 09:26 PM
yes precisely.
You don't need the PN hopups, you can do it with the standard kingpin and suspension, just put the fixed ball on the top and the one with whole in the bottom. No need for eclip at the bottom as well

I am curious about this mod. How does the king pin stay in place without a c clip at the bottom.?

Minizorro
2016.09.17, 12:23 PM
Simply because the kingpin is fixed to one of the balls, in the case of pn kingpin, or kingpin and a ball are just one single piece in the case of the stock kingpin. Since the ball itself is stuck into the suspension socket, the kingpin is going nowhere

Nsxtat
2016.09.18, 09:04 AM
Cool. Will try that today at the track. Thanks

Edit: just tried it and it works awesome. Thanks