PDA

View Full Version : Alum OEM Tie Rod Bind & Tweak?

Blf
2016.09.26, 03:22 PM
Hey Guys --- I broke out my Buggy the other day & noticed the left turn has a much wider radius than the right on full throttle. The right turn is MUCH tighter .... almost donuts

Is this a characteristic of the AWD set up ? or are there screws I should be loosening, shimming etc. ? I made sure all the camber arms, arms, knuckles were free moving and rebounding

ALSO --- unrelated, The Kyosho (gold colored) tie rod is binding so that one side will not recenter and you hear the servo fight.. Not drastic but kind of sticks .... popped the plastic one back in and no bind --- I shouldn't have to grind a Kyosho tie rod ...... right???

arch2b
2016.09.27, 01:03 PM
obvious answer, no, you shouldn't need to grind a product to get it to perform as intended. Do less than perfect pieces make it into release? sure, happens from time to time.
My recommendation, return the part and/or ask for a replacement from the retailer/manufacturer. some retailers refer you directly to manufacturer. In this case, i've always had good experiences with kyosho support.

Blf
2016.09.27, 03:59 PM
obvious answer, no, you shouldn't need to grind a product to get it to perform as intended. Do less than perfect pieces make it into release? sure, happens from time to time.
My recommendation, return the part and/or ask for a replacement from the retailer/manufacturer. some retailers refer you directly to manufacturer. In this case, i've always had good experiences with kyosho support.

Thanks arch - it came in the set with the 4 others - I'll just try the +1 bar and see if that allows it to move..

Blf
2016.10.05, 07:04 PM

tried the +1 and 0 toe alum tierods on two different MB010s and they are sticking and not returning to center.

2 buggies and with 2 different tie rods. They must be defective? Why would this happen? It binds even with the tie rod nor being covered on bottom or with the steering links attached.

It seems like they are too wide and rubbing - you cant really use these without the alum tierod ....any suggestions - any one ever notice this? What aum tie rods are people using?

I sent similar email to Kenon where I purchased the steering plate set ......

briankstan
2016.10.05, 07:15 PM
I'm using the same set as you as well as most of our other club members with buggies. We did have some binding issues and needed to clean up the chassis and the bottom clip some to get them to move freely. Seems they were a little tight with the fit on them. Hope that helps.

briankstan
2016.10.05, 07:17 PM
Check the fitment with the servo saver pin that goes into the tie rod. You could be binding there as well.

Blf
2016.10.05, 11:27 PM
I tried to sand a bit on the tie rod track and it helped a little - just keep sanding I guess to give it more clearance? I tried the atomic bottom plate AND the 2 kyosho bottom plates (stock and the upgrade)

It does it when there is no bottom plate on as well, not connected to anything - not sure what I could do to the servo saver pin that the tie rod grabs ?

briankstan
2016.10.06, 08:38 AM
I tried to sand a bit on the tie rod track and it helped a little - just keep sanding I guess to give it more clearance? I tried the atomic bottom plate AND the 2 kyosho bottom plates (stock and the upgrade)

It does it when there is no bottom plate on as well, not connected to anything - not sure what I could do to the servo saver pin that the tie rod grabs ?

the pin will wear and free up some, but if you are sticking with the pin in the tie rod it will cause some re-centering and sticking issues. if it's binding there you can file the opening just a bit to fee it up.

Blf
2016.10.06, 08:48 AM
https://youtu.be/1AUSCbX6iSM

You can see that even with the sanding of the track for the rod, it only truly centers when you release the wheel from full lock and that seems to break the tension enough to center. The precise steeping inputs /slowly releasing the wheel, it sticks just before center.

mleemor60
2016.10.06, 11:01 AM
Does the buggy use ASF protocol? If so can you hook up a program card for an 02 or 03 to the board? There are settings for steering punch and gain that might "roid" up the action enough to get better centering action. Just a thought.

briankstan
2016.10.06, 11:09 AM
Does the buggy use ASF protocol? If so can you hook up a program card for an 02 or 03 to the board? There are settings for steering punch and gain that might "roid" up the action enough to get better centering action. Just a thought.

they early buggies are ASF boards and can be adjusted with the ICS, the new ones have the sports boards in them and they can't be adjusted with the ICS

mleemor60
2016.10.06, 11:40 AM
So the later ones would gain from use of the KT432P or the Flysky IT4. both of these radios have similar adjustments from the transmitter. Blf, which is yours? If it is an ASF/KT18 you should be able to find someone with a setting card to perform a little "hocus pocus".

On another note, what does the buggy use for a servo? If it is an 03 then there is the possibility of a 4th gear issue similar to what most of us have experienced with the 03's.

Again, just spit balling.

Blf
2016.10.06, 01:12 PM
Using the EX-1 on this and I'm assuming I could use the Ics to change the recentering gain - what variable would that be ? Anyone have the link to the newest ICS program on hand btw?

I'm talking with kyosho America as well - they thought it might be a defective set and will do anexchamge when they get a new set in stock. They are always fantastic with CS

briankstan
2016.10.06, 01:15 PM
the servo in the buggy is similar to the one in the MR-03 there is an exploded view of the servo in this file on page 3

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/MB010-T12_Mini-Z_Buggy_EX.pdf

arch2b
2016.10.06, 01:47 PM
i had a full option buggy for maybe a couple months but don't recall having any issues. personally, i would return and complain to kyosho if a performance upgrade part required tweaking stock parts to perform properly. thats just bad quality control or engineering. really hoping it's just a bad set squeaked into the marketplace and it's replaced for you.

Blf
2016.10.12, 08:34 PM
Update :

The new plates I received from Kyosho America are good to go. To kyoshos credit, that's the first thing I can remember being defective in 15 or so years.

arch2b
2016.10.13, 07:36 AM
Glad to hear KUSA resolved the issue. :cool: