PDA

View Full Version : New F1 chassis from MC3

Kevinmueller
2016.12.13, 10:26 AM
This is another seek peek at our new F1 chassis named the KMD-FR01. It will be on sale soon from mini car club of Canada. The chassis is a drop in for the VE boards, meaning it uses the servo motor from an MR-03. In testing the car is very fast. I posted the fastest lap time in the world in the one28racing competition with the prototype car. Stay tuned for the release date and more info on all the new design features. To bad I don't know how to inbed photos so people can see them with out needing to open the file. Can anyone help me with that? Then I'll be able to post more shots.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35018&stc=1&d=1481649943

EMU
2016.12.13, 11:11 AM
To bad I don't know how to inbed photos so people can see them with out needing to open the file. Can anyone help me with that? Then I'll be able to post more shots.

Right click link of image, copy image location... Paste link between [img] and [/ img] without the space between the / and image.

Chassis looks interesting, would like to see what's under the hood... See that it has a-arms. Is it still bottom loaded battery support? Side plate, t-plate? Body looks like it has plenty of clearance for motor wires and dampers.

What thickness is the main chassis wassup material?

byebye
2016.12.13, 11:32 AM
Done! The forum(at least for me) doesn't resize the photo so any large dimension picture is huge...I resized the picture down to 1280x960 for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Looks great btw. Will there be more pics on the social media page?

Kris

cowboysir
2016.12.13, 11:45 AM
Very interesting sneak peek...it appears as if you're using the spring steel mod for your MR03 hopup page and it appears likely that you've created a double A-arm front suspension.

I personally can't wait to see/try this in person. this is the type of front end I've been mulling over for some time yet couldn't figure how to incorporate the knuckle/tie rod of the 03 to the front end of an F1....glad someone has taken the time/measurements and moved them to the 3D print phase.

Thanks Kevin/MC3!

lfisminiz
2016.12.13, 12:02 PM
Can't wait to see more!

RCPMini-z
2016.12.16, 12:46 PM
Always liked the F1 series. Looking forward to seeing more.

Sinister_Y
2016.12.21, 12:59 PM
Go to our __utube channel or our social media page.

RCPMini-z
2016.12.21, 01:29 PM
Go to our __utube channel or our social media page.

Where is your social media page? Can you provide link? If link won't posts, can you send via message? Found it on social media

EMU
2016.12.21, 02:56 PM
Quickly watched the video. Car looks very balanced. Looks really good.

The only negative that I can see is that it is 3d printed, which means that it cannot be used in PNWC... Since they ban all 3d printed parts.

byebye
2016.12.21, 03:01 PM
Quickly watched the video. Car looks very balanced. Looks really good.

The only negative that I can see is that it is 3d printed, which means that it cannot be used in PNWC... Since they ban all 3d printed parts.
Wow...yeah i forgot about that.

EMU
2016.12.21, 04:17 PM
It is unfortunate that the only current racing series/championship has restrictions on development of parts using 3d printing. I understand why it is done, but it leaves products that use 3d printed materials in the dark.

Fortunately, it seems like club racing is most of what is going on stateside... And it is doubtful that there would be restrictions on such a nice looking product at the club level. Which, let's face it, is the only current racing going on stateside.

This could lead in to an entirely different topic... But as someone who has taken a stab at 3d printing parts myself, I understand the ramifications.

Even if this chassis were to go into development as a molded product, unless cleared with the sanctioning body, being that only Kyosho f1 chassis are permitted, it would not be permitted.

If there were a bolt on modification, using the majority of the main chassis, then it could be permissible. Much like the hop ups for the mr03, etc.

I am excited to see this chassis in person... Or at least some good pics to see the layout of the design.

Kevinmueller
2016.12.21, 10:33 PM
Here are some pics of the chassis, it's not the final version but very close.

EMU
2016.12.21, 11:05 PM
Here are some pics of the chassis, it's not the final version but very close.
Thank you very much for showing the pictures. It looks really good. Better than anticipated!

Sinister_Y
2016.12.21, 11:45 PM
Hi Eugene,

All points are valid. The bottom line is this chassis is amazing. Full stop. It, in fact, beats the fastest lap time of a fully modified brushless MR03 at our track. You can imagine how this is possible as the wheelbase is longer, giving stability and it uses those huge F1 tires which have a much larger contact patch than a touring car tire.

We were able to take the hassle out of F1 and make it fun again. I can't recall how many times I wanted to throw my old F1 at the wall; it handled so inconsistently.

I'd suggest if you are a F1 fan and I know you are. Get it. The kit is not for beginners. Also we have plans as they say....

Sinister_Y
2016.12.21, 11:51 PM
On a related note, I did look at getting everything done using injection molding however the design is not compatible (the technical reason is too many undercuts). However if sales are good then I will look at doing the body and wings in injection, as they can be with some minor modifications.

lfisminiz
2016.12.22, 05:02 AM
I'm in, looks good.

Racer-HH
2016.12.22, 06:27 AM
Now you have my attention. Any indications on the price for a full kit?

briankstan
2016.12.22, 08:04 AM
interested and will be following this one. the pics and video look great.

briankstan
2016.12.22, 08:05 AM
is it setup to use both brushed and brushless? I notice in the pics it's running brushless.

Sinister_Y
2016.12.22, 08:25 AM
Hi,

Pricing will be set at $199.99 Canadian for the chassis kits which include the body (plastics only). You will need to add parts to make it functional. We will have a limited time introductory price of $179.99. It will be setup on our site for preorder in the next couple of weeks.

The chassis was really meant for brushless only as it is engineered to simply drop in a brushless board from a MR03, either VE or VE Pro. It would be possible to put in a brushed board in the chassis itself however you'd have to use the coreless servo motor. Also, the motor mount has limitations for sizing. We'd have to come out with a different version for brushed motors.

We found during testing that the coreless servo motor performed better than the old, crappy, brushed servo motor found in the brushed F1 boards. We did this since everything is going brushless and this is something that Kyosho never did or has yet to do.

Plus, speed is good, provided it is useable speed, which in this case, it is. We did testing using a 11500kv motor and the car was ballistic. We recommend 9500kv or less, especially for less seasoned guys. The car was using a PN 9500 in the video, which was at actual speed for the ending sequence.

EMU
2016.12.22, 03:45 PM
Hi Eugene,

All points are valid. The bottom line is this chassis is amazing. Full stop. It, in fact, beats the fastest lap time of a fully modified brushless MR03 at our track. You can imagine how this is possible as the wheelbase is longer, giving stability and it uses those huge F1 tires which have a much larger contact patch than a touring car tire.

We were able to take the hassle out of F1 and make it fun again. I can't recall how many times I wanted to throw my old F1 at the wall; it handled so inconsistently.

I'd suggest if you are a F1 fan and I know you are. Get it. The kit is not for beginners. Also we have plans as they say....
I was close to equal in pace with my f1's to mr03... But it was a lot of work and tweaks to get there. I can see with this chassis how it would pace faster than an mr03.

Everything looks clean, and easy to work on. It is nice to finally get some good development on this chassis. It has been stagnant for so long.

A couple off questions, is the metal brace that connects the motormount to the front if the chassis included? is that spring steel?

Can racer alloy motormounts be used? What is the distance from the t-plate holes to the axle? In some of my own designs, I was working with a 94mm mount with a t-plate for an f1 half chassis that retained the servo and front end, but attached just behind and held battery compartment and pcb \ suspension mounts.

Thanks for taking on this project Shawn, it is no easy process to develop a chassis such as this. I Can only imagine how many prototypes and how much track time you must have gone through to get to where you are...

I would assume that the atomic 17mm motors would be a good alternate for a brushed motor. They should have more gearing options than the larger 130 can motors. They will be a little down on power in comparison to the 130, but would be very smooth.

Sinister_Y
2016.12.22, 09:51 PM
Hi,

Nope. The spring steel plate that you see is from our MR-03 high speed stability kit (which is also now compatible with the KMD-FR01). It is sold separately at this time. It is not necessary as the car uses a t-plate suspension system. That being said, it does improve the handling as proven on our MR-03s and testing of the F1.
Again, all that said, will depend on what size layout, etc.. The high speed stability is aptly named. It is really a great addition for high speed layouts and anywhere like chicanes (i.e. quick left to right, and vice-versa) sections. It isn't really suited for very tight technical layouts. In those cases, we remove this piece and just use the t-plate.

The things that will come with the initial offering will be the main chassis, the rear motor mount, the top plate, the body, the front bumper/nose, the rear wing, all the plastic a-arm parts including the sleeves that adjust the camber. I'm considering adding knuckles and servo plates (which have been designed and tested to fit), however trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible. The process we use to print is accurate up to 120 micron. it is highly accurate and the material is awesome, it's nylon. Which is very strong and durable. We use the same material for all of our 3D parts.

The rest you have to buy separately. I am in the process of final edits on the manual which has a parts list which will make everything clearer.

We had envisioned most guys converting their old F1s and that most guys had MR-03 parts lying around they could use to build this.

However, I will be offering add-on packages so that guys that want to build from the ground up can do so (i.e. which would include the high speed stability kit). We also plan to offer a Kevin built special model so you don't have to do squat but pay, wait for it to arrive and then drive the crap out of it!

In terms of t-plate setup, it is adjustable, just like touring cars. That is the beauty of this system. You can adjust wheelbase to your liking.

Hmmm, never tested with other mounts. We came to the conclusion during testing (for our 2wd mounts (98mm just released and 94mm to be added (i have them but not packaged them)) that plastic is the way to go with the caveat that you use 9500kv or lower as the plastic tends to hold the heat. Agreed that alloy is nice but it weighs alot and the objective of this design was to mirror F1 style in that everything was designed for speed. Where things broke or didn't hold up to our standards, then we added material. You're right, it was a long road. Plus, trying to measure all the tiny little crap inside the stock chassis was a real hoot (not). At least according to Kevin who did all the work.

Thanks, the real thanks goes to Kevin who really did 99% of the work. I helped to direct design in some areas like integrated front nose with the bumper and stuff, but it was his baby. He really knows his stuff. I hate to sound like a salesman, but ppl should definitely buy the MC3 book, it's also probably 80-90% him.

As for the atomic motors (brushless), they do fit however they are limited in the gearing they can use as they are larger than the PN motors. We have also tried the GL Racing motors as we are a GL racing dealer. Their new 8500 or whatever motor arrives soon and we will test with that too.

Thanks for the kind words; greatly appreciated. Again, all kudos to Kevin for sticking in there.. sitting in front of the computer all night designing Mini-Z stuff : )

Kevinmueller
2016.12.23, 01:21 PM
Just want to clarify one thing, the KMD-FR01 is not compatible with brushed motors with the current motor mount. I do have plans to design a brushed motor mount that will work with all brushed motors in the future.

Having the batteries length wise instead of across the chassis made the chassis a bit longer than the Kyosho F1 chassis. In order to keep the correct wheelbase length (in the 98mm T-plate setup of an Mr03) I had to shorten the rear motor mount which means that it will only work with 15mm to 16mm diameter engines (brushless). Anything bigger will not fit in (Brushed). I will be elongating the motor mount to fit brushed motors and still have the same wheelbase length of the kyosho F1 chassis (however it will be in the 94mm T-plate setup of an Mr03).

EMU
2017.01.12, 08:22 PM
Kevin, thanks for the info. I was examining the pictures on mc3 site. It looks like the pcb would not accept motor wires screwed into the chassis for a brushed pcb as well. But they can just be soldered in place.

In a design that I was working on 3 years ago, I lengthened the chassis to run aaa length Lipo, and designed it for use with a 94mm mount.

I don't have any brushless electronics or motors, which is why I haven't ordered the chassis yet... But I really want to. Can you inform me of the horizontal distance between the t- plate screw holes and the center of the rear axle on the motormount? If it is close enough to my reflex mount, and I can set it up with my brushed setup, I will order the chassis and set it up. Even if it is shorter, I may be able to use the atomic 90mm mount with improvised damper arrangement.

Kevinmueller
2017.01.13, 08:05 AM
Hi EMU

I sent you a private msg but could figure out how to send you the picture. This is a pic of what the motor mount looks like with a brushed engine. Notice that it does not fit the mounting holes. Maybe with the correct modifications it might work but theirs very little room.

EMU
2017.01.19, 01:27 PM
Placed my order last night for the chassis. I'm excited to build it up... Now I need to start getting everything else together for the build.

lfisminiz
2017.01.19, 06:00 PM
Recieved mine today! :) Now i just need the time...:rolleyes:

EMU
2017.01.25, 12:40 PM
I received my KMD-FR01 just before leaving for work today. Took a minute to open it up and get a look at the chassis. It is beautiful! The pictures do not do it justice.

Minimal chassis flex, which should reduce more when the servo cover is installed. Tolerances look amazingly tight for a 3d printed part. This is going to be a blast to put together once I get all of the other bits and pieces in, and find the time to do it.

It is stated in the manual for a 5 hour assembly... I may take a little more time, and spread it out over a few days.

Great work MC3! I will post pics once the main chassis is complete.

GIHOSU
2017.01.25, 06:03 PM
Subscribed :cool:

cowboysir
2017.01.25, 06:46 PM
Finished up to servo install...getting a tie rod to slide smoothly worked best (for me at least) when using a kyosho plastic rod. Careful filing/sanding was needed but servo horn and gearbox fit perfectly.

Loving the build so far!

EMU
2017.01.25, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will try a few different alloy tie rods and see what feels best. I am reluctant to use the plastic, I know that I have broken so many at the wrong times although I like their performance the best.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.25, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far. Plastic is the way to go. We've been using it for close to six months and no issues. We run the cars with touring cars sometimes. We've had some very bad hits. Never a problem with the toe bar.

Keep building. Would love some more independent feedback!

Sinister_Y
2017.01.25, 09:07 PM
BTW, Kevin designed a brushed motor mount. Should be ready for pickup this Friday. Will need to build another test mule and see how well it works. We are curious as to the handling differences it will make.

On a related note, also testing shorter version high speed stability kit with corresponding shorter wheelbase. Initial testing is extremely positive.

cowboysir
2017.01.26, 04:45 PM
BTW, Kevin designed a brushed motor mount. Should be ready for pickup this Friday. Will need to build another test mule and see how well it works. We are curious as to the handling differences it will make.

On a related note, also testing shorter version high speed stability kit with corresponding shorter wheelbase. Initial testing is extremely positive.

Both of these development aspects interest me to say the least.

A quick question about the Atomic threaded kingpin....I thought I had a set in my bag of tricks but it turns out they were sold with an MR03 chassis in the past. I was wondering what specific function the threaded aspect of the kingpin serves and can it be reproduced with a different long kingpin and shims+e-clip to get the closure?

Thanks,

D

Edit: why don't we use any grease/oil on the damper plates? The instructions say not to yet don't explain the reasoning.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.26, 08:30 PM
Hi,

I have titanium versions which are 2mm longer than the Atomic version coming. However, there is a delay due to Chinese new year. **Supposedly** the factory had finished 1/2 of the batch of new custom bits for the KMD-FR01 including that part before the holiday started. It will have to wait until after Feb 9th for business to resume, then ship, etc..

Also, please note that the Atomic kingpins are no longer available from Atomic. I was going to buy them out, but they don't make it anymore.

For now, I would advise if you have some reflex racing (long) or other brand, they would work but you'd need to shim and then put an e-clip as you've noted.

The reason for the threaded top is simply ease of adjustment. You want enough tightness to remove slop but not too much or it will impact handling especially turning (as it creates friction for the steering movement if too tight). I know as it's happened to me before. It's a pain in the arse to keep having to add or remove shims, but it can be done.

EMU
2017.01.26, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm having difficulty locating the atomic part myself. Thought that I had a set from my years racing for atomic, but I must have gave them away at the track.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.26, 11:00 PM
Like the manual says if you're in a pinch you can use a ball end and a long countersunk screw. That is what we are using ona couple of cars.

cowboysir
2017.01.27, 10:12 AM
I do have a couple reflex extra long kingpin so I'm happy that my thoughts on e-clip and shim is workable.

I hope everyone following realizes how dedicated Shawn and Kevin are to this project. After a quick issue dealt with through email I was thoroughly impressed at their speedy responses.

With that level of support I'm confident that this is money well spent and I am looking forward to continuing my support by spending on developing projects.:D

Thanks again guys.

cowboysir
2017.01.28, 12:50 PM
so another stumbling block...I've misplaced my 2mm tap and have to buy another set.:rolleyes:

Which pitch style is the preferred tap for mini-z?

Kevinmueller
2017.01.28, 02:30 PM
I believe Shawn already tapped all of the nessary screw holes before the chassis were sent out so you should be able to install all of the machine screws without the need to buy a new tap.

cowboysir
2017.01.28, 03:58 PM
My F1 knuckles were not tapped for the Atomic axle shafts. From my experiences I'm not adept enough to fake tap it with a screw....:o

Kevinmueller
2017.01.28, 08:28 PM
Oh yes they will need to be tapped as well. So you will need a 2mm x 0.4 tap. So the pitch is 0.4mm. If you have the stock kyosho F1 knuckles you can use those in the mean time. However they will pop out of the toe bar more often than our knuckles because the stock knuckles have sorter pins.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.28, 08:36 PM
Yah, sorry. I tap all parts that take machine screw before shipping / putting into stock except knuckles. I will start to do that. Thanks for mentioning. Thanks for the kudos. It sounds cheesy but really we love F1 and want it to be fun again and fast.

cowboysir
2017.01.28, 08:56 PM
It wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't misplaced my own gear. Thanks for the tap advice...it's on its way

Kevinmueller
2017.02.14, 01:36 PM
Just wanted to know how the builds are going so far and updates? I also wanted to share this video, I'm currently the fastest in the one 28 racing world series for the F1 category. We now have four guys running the KMD-FR01 chassis at our track. The cars are taking a beating but still holding up and much faster then the Kyosho F1's. More guys at our track are going to be building their cars soon so we are looking to have more feedback soon. Here is the video link to my fastest lap https://youtu.be/zhSdV4wTm7w

lfisminiz
2017.02.14, 06:28 PM
Good to hear. Time has been short with work but its next on my projects and will report back. ;)

cowboysir
2017.02.16, 03:46 PM
As with any of my builds I take a couple step forward and then take an epic leap back....:o

Made progress with all the little details while waiting for my new taps to arrive:

1.Due to the parts I had available I shaped the rear air cowling a bit near the damper plate to allow for the top shock and damper to have free movement.

2. because of the battery contacts I used I had to modify the battery clips ever so slightly to allow for fitment....the end closest to servo wouldn't fit past the contacts because of how far they sat out.

3. For those of you who plan on using Reflex racing long kingpins you should consider buying a set of spring cups for the long kingpin at the RR site as well...they act as almost the perfect spacer to secure a C-clip on top of the kingpin. I used one each side plus a couple 2mm washers.

4. my big step back was I failed to confirm my drill bit size and grabbed my 2.2mm bit for the 3d print knuckles....thereby screwing them royally for tapping for the atomic axle shafts. I made use of some R246 knuckles in the meantime but I've added some new knuckles to my parts list of things to buy from MC3. I will be keen on getting some because I see what you mean about the shorter tie rod pins being an issue.

If I didn't screw something up it wouldn't be one of my builds.

Now deciding on a paint scheme...won't be able to decal but I'm thinking of Manor Racing in tribute to their folding up and my skill at mini-Z (I'm definitely a back marker:D)

Sinister_Y
2017.02.16, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the update. Most people's builds are going well. For those that don't have the parts lying around (which we thought most of you would), good news in that our custom titanium front end parts are finally being made (there was a significant delay due to Chinese New Year). We will sell a front end assembly pack shortly.

Also, should have a screw pack soon.

Another update in that I've effectively just arranged to buy all, if not most of the remaining supply of F1 servo savers, servo plates and some other bits from head office Kyosho Japan's stock.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, they discontinued production years ago and are letting stock run out of the F1 parts. Once those quantities are gone, they are gone unless they decide to resurrect the class.

We will start work shortly on a KMD-FR01 version that will accept a sealed servo, rx and esc like GL's GLA setup. This should also work for those that aren't into Mini-Z and are coming from 1/10th and don't have old F1's lying around waiting to be transformed into a fast, fun, racing machine.

Last side note, we have a new body coming for the car shortly. We are testing now.

Also on the testing front, we are building our brushed test mule. We were waiting for a F1 servo saver which has come in. Once we are happy with the results, we will release that version.

Keep building! we want to hear feedback on builds and your racing experiences!

EMU
2017.02.17, 04:01 PM
I've been busy with work, haven't had time to play with the new chassis much. Hopefully will find some time soon.

Great news about the small parts and screw set. I will definitely be picking a set up. Along with a servo saver. Unfortunately my donor chassis doesn't have one installed :rolleyes: I must have given it to someone in a race a while back.

I would like to see what you guys come up with for a discrete servo. I would think that would be difficult due to the limitations you have in size with the body shape. Of course, you will have even more respect for the full scale f1 packaging engineers after this project...

Thanks for the update :cool:

Sinister_Y
2017.02.18, 11:36 AM
Great customer feedback from New York:

https://www face**** com/groups/722063711267613/permalink/825926810881302/

Replace * with book.

Kevinmueller
2017.02.22, 04:11 PM
Hey I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. We have had some customers break the rear motor mount with light to moderate hits. As far as we can tell this is due to the fact that the 3D printed material becomes much more brittle when it is cold (below room temperature). We did months of testing and never had any issues with the rear motor mount breaking. Last week we even had a massive impact between our chassis and a kyosho and ours walked away without a problem while the kyosho's pieces when everywhere in spectacular fashion (too bad we missed it on camera). For now we strongly recommend keeping the car at room temperature before running it. We are in the process of beefing up the rear motor mount in the mean time. Thanks

Sinister_Y
2017.02.26, 09:34 AM
Hey, tons of new videos available now through both our face**** fan page and our ***tube channel and website product page.

lfisminiz
2017.02.26, 06:05 PM
Saved them....thanks! :)

cowboysir
2017.03.03, 09:10 PM
Just a quick share now that I'm finished building my KM-FR01...I did a chassis weight comparison with no cells:

Stock F1 (3d printed front wing protector): 155 grams
spec build KM-FR01: 130 grams

considering that I believe the PN BL motor is heavier than a brushed motor (can anyone confirm this for me?) 25 grams is a huge weight savings!

Now that I fixed all my brain fart errors while building I'm hoping to get some time this week before our next GTG.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

EMU
2017.03.03, 09:21 PM
Soon the question will be, where do we add weight... ;)

Sinister_Y
2017.03.04, 11:02 AM
no weight is necessary to make it handle well, however we did put a spot into the bottom of the chassis to fit PN's triangular weights (for MR-03) for added tuneability. Just make sure as per the "Front-end" setup video that if using PN med, no caster, no camber. If using PN firm fronts, then some caster & camber. Otherwise, you will traction roll of have a good possibility of it.

Looking forward to more feedback.

As Kevin had noted previously, let your car come up to room temperature from either extreme cold (like storing your car in your vehicle all day) or hot (i.e. those places where it is warm now). Otherwise, you will break parts easily or possibly warp them.

Sinister_Y
2017.03.04, 11:09 AM
so far, results are good. It is very driveable, however as it 3mm longer (to accommodate brushed motor) than the standard brushless setup, it is not as fast as the brushless motor in terms of lap times, but as noted, feels good.

Note, you have to switch the servo motor to the coreless motor from the MR-03 board if you want to use an old F1 board or better yet, use a MR-03 board from brushed MR-03 car you may have that lying around.

cowboysir
2017.04.05, 12:22 PM
1. Any updates on the Ti hardware and parts for the F1?

Kevinmueller
2017.04.05, 12:50 PM
We received shipment yesterday!! (parts were stuck in customs for some time). Now we just need to check that the parts have been made to the correct dimensions and will work with our front suspension system. We will check them this weekend at the track, so as long as there are no issues they should be up on the MC3 website sometime next week. We will keep you posted.

Sinister_Y
2017.04.05, 01:46 PM
Yeah. What Kevin said. Also, waiting for springs to arrive. They were shipped and should be here 1-2 weeks max. Then will put "front end packs" in stock. And add pics. Parts look good so far. Surprised how heavy the adjustment sleeve is even though in titanium. For that piece we chose gr4. The rest are gr2 if I recall correctly. The website is correct in any case.

Kevinmueller
2017.04.10, 11:20 AM
The metal parts for the front suspension are now up on the MC3 website. Once the springs arrive their will be an entire front end kit that you can purchase as well. We test fitted the parts and after a small amount of sanding and some grease they worked very well. The upper suspension hinge pin is now threaded (like the MR-03 hinge pin) and is screwed into the upper suspension arm. When you use the hinge pin along with the metal adjustment sleeve all of the play in the upper suspension is now removed. The adjustment sleeve is a bit of a tight fit into the upper servo cover but it's significantly better than the 3D printed one. The thread on the King Pin is a bit sharp and catches the inside of the upper suspension ball. I simply used 1000 grit sand paper and went around the treaded part a couple of times then applied some silicon grease and this took out any binding between the two thread and the suspension ball. With all the parts installed in the car you definitely notice that the front end is much more accurate and points where you want it to. Hopefully guys who could not complete their build will be able to now and get to enjoy the car as much as we do.

Sinister_Y
2017.04.10, 01:16 PM
Pic of the front end kit

durtbag
2017.09.01, 02:33 PM
We will start work shortly on a KMD-FR01 version that will accept a sealed servo, rx and esc like GL's GLA setup. This should also work for those that aren't into Mini-Z and are coming from 1/10th and don't have old F1's lying around waiting to be transformed into a fast, fun, racing machine.

Im totally one of these guys. I looked into building from scratch and got mind boggled. I have a few of the Atomic line of chassis and a track in the garage just waiting for some F1 action. Im also trying to get 1/28th going in BC. An F1 option would be awesome.
Terry

herman
2017.09.01, 09:26 PM
(warning off topic post) nice track...