PDA

View Full Version : MR03 Chassis replacement, Which one??

Tammer
2016.12.21, 09:14 AM
Hello,

I recently cracked my MR03 chassis and was looking for a replacement when the confusion kicked in. There are just too many options. I was hoping someone could help me please.

So first I wanted a chassis with gold plated terminals. This appears to come from the factory on the MR03 VE/Pro however I can not locate just the skeleton. So anyone that has this car what do you do if you crack your chassis? Do you just get the standard silver terminal chassis?

Next I came across the following two options.
MZ501 and MZ501SP, does anyone know the differences?

Then I came across these.
MZF401CB, MZF401CG, and MZF401C. Now these look to be colored but are also double the price of the chassis above. at almost $30 instead of $15.

So my question is what is truly the difference between these chassis and is one stronger then the other? what is the difference between the MZ501 and the SP version of that part?

Thank you for all your help.

EMU
2016.12.21, 03:29 PM
The 401's are complete chassis kits. They include top cover, battery clips, and servo plates. The 501 are just the main chassis.

The clear material is less durable than the opaque black.

the SP is the model with gold terminals. Non sp had standard terminals.

Where did the chassis crack?

Tammer
2016.12.21, 05:09 PM
Thank you so much, always a ton of help.

It is cracked right by the battery terminal. At the spot where the screw is that you would loosen if you were trying to hard wire a transponder to.

RussF
2016.12.21, 05:14 PM
Maybe this wont help if you want a OEM type but I have been super impressed with the PN Racing PNR2.5W chassis. Really easy to switch over to, low CG and very tough. I love the bottom mount batteries.

Mike Keely
2016.12.21, 05:24 PM
I would recommend that PN chassis also. I don't think that the gold terminals are something that anyone could tell the difference from one to the other in performance,

EMU
2016.12.21, 05:54 PM
I haven't used the pn chassis, so cannot comment on it... But that area on the mr03 is prone to breakage. I got to look at one the other day through the packaging while I was getting Xmas presents for my nephews, and it looks like a good material by eye.

I am contemplating picking one up if I get some track time soon. Relatively inexpensive, and I have seen good reviews of it from fellow racers.

The biggest weak point of the mr03 is the fragility of the chassis. On the front end where the body clip secures, and where the body mounts are on the rear of the main chassis where you broke yours.

lfisminiz
2016.12.21, 07:11 PM
I haven't used the pn chassis, so cannot comment on it... But that area on the mr03 is prone to breakage. I got to look at one the other day through the packaging while I was getting Xmas presents for my nephews, and it looks like a good material by eye.

I am contemplating picking one up if I get some track time soon. Relatively inexpensive, and I have seen good reviews of it from fellow racers.

The biggest weak point of the mr03 is the fragility of the chassis. On the front end where the body clip secures, and where the body mounts are on the rear of the main chassis where you broke yours.

Same here on the PN chassis.

EMU
2016.12.21, 07:19 PM
Same here on the PN chassis.
Have you tried the pn chassis? If so, Does it have the same fragility issues as the Kyosho? Hard to understand the response, just wanting clarification.

xmodcanuck
2016.12.21, 08:05 PM
The 401's are complete chassis kits. They include top cover, battery clips, and servo plates. The 501 are just the main chassis.

I thought the 401s were for regular 03s and the 501s were for brushless 03s? Is there no difference in the main chassis of brushed and brushless?

I don't have experience yet in this area. So far the 03 is the only chassis I've not had to replace. I've replaced mr02 ma010 and ma020ve chassis with sp versions when the stock ones break but I guess I've been lucky with my 03s.

*edit*
EMU, I finally found some better pics of each and I see what you're saying. I still thought the main chassis for the VE was different than the regular 03.

Hello,

I recently cracked my MR03 chassis and was looking for a replacement when the confusion kicked in. There are just too many options. I was hoping someone could help me please.

So first I wanted a chassis with gold plated terminals. This appears to come from the factory on the MR03 VE/Pro however I can not locate just the skeleton. So anyone that has this car what do you do if you crack your chassis? Do you just get the standard silver terminal chassis?

Next I came across the following two options.
MZ501 and MZ501SP, does anyone know the differences?

Then I came across these.
MZF401CB, MZF401CG, and MZF401C. Now these look to be colored but are also double the price of the chassis above. at almost $30 instead of $15.

So my question is what is truly the difference between these chassis and is one stronger then the other? what is the difference between the MZ501 and the SP version of that part?

Thank you for all your help.

Tammer, you'll want to get the MZ501SP (which is the same as the stock VE PRO chassis) or the PN chassis.

EMU
2016.12.21, 09:09 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been away for too long that I miss some of those details.

I've broken a bunch of mr03 chassis. But, always had replacements at the local hobby shop so never looked into part numbers. I also only have one brushless car...

arch2b
2016.12.21, 10:29 PM
the only difference between brushed and brushless may be the binding hole. The brushless boards are longer than brushed but they screw down at the motor leads so it doesn't matter.

Correction:
changes also include the servo motor bracket which use two very tiny screws that can be purchased from a dnano parts kit.

EMU
2016.12.22, 12:27 AM
If I am not mistaken, the servo motor hold down might be different as well?

mleemor60
2016.12.22, 07:11 AM
It is but the infinitesimal screws come with the top plate I believe. You just need a well magnetized 0000 screwdriver to install them.

arch2b
2016.12.22, 07:37 AM
ahh, correct. the bracket uses screws from dnano line. i really wish they had not done that.

mleemor60
2016.12.22, 08:33 AM
I wish they hadn't done it either. It really isn't that bad though once you get enough magnetism in the screwdriver so the servo motor doesn't grab the screw as you get close to the mount. It does take a little high weight off the chassis though which is never a bad thing.

arch2b
2016.12.22, 09:05 AM
-it introduced a new screw that is only available (screws by themselves) in a part kit non associated with Mini-Z and not used anywhere else on the car.
-it requires a very fine point screw driver, not necessarily needed for the standard Mini-Z screws.
-given the location and delta between the sizes, i doubt the infinitesimal weight savings is even perceivable nor appreciable.

the dnano screw driver is perfect fit/match for these size screws. the green color also makes it harder to loose amongst all the other tools. it's not cheap though and i'm sure a suitable driver is commonly available and equally fine fit. I just happened to have the dnano driver from my brief excursion into 1:32 scale.

Tammer
2016.12.22, 09:11 AM
Thank you everyone who chimed in this has turned into a very informative thread.

So let me summarize what I have read so far.
The MZ401 series is for brushed. The colored version of this chassis is weaker.
The MZ501 series is for brushless and slightly different in the sense of the binding hole and the screws used for the servo mount.
The SP version is gold plated however there is not a noticeable difference in it's performance.

The PN 2.5 chassis seems to be the route to go. I have thought about this chassis for a little while now. My only concerns with it are two things. I noticed the top plate does not cover the entire board and has part of the board and wires exposed, could this ultimately become an issue with RCP dust. not saying that the standard chassis is sealed but it is better covered. My next concern is the body limitation on this chassis. I typically run the 12c, ferrari 458, and the nissan 2014 concept. I do not want to limit my self to the 2 or 3 bodies that I have read fit with confirmation. Is this true that only a handful of bodies fit?
I wish the guys at PN would improve part description and compatibility. I understand there are hundreds of bodies but if they could just list the most popular bodies that fit with or without modding it.

arch2b
2016.12.22, 09:28 AM
2.5:
yes, parts are exposed. No, this is not an issue unless you intend on driving it through puddles or prone to drooping loose bare wires over your exposed chassis. if overly concerned, you can shrink wrap the board. i have yet to see anyone concerned about this, locally.
It is designed and made for designated 'wide' bodies. there are instructions for modifying the body clip on the 12C i believe it is on PN's social media page, nothing extreme required. I have not tried an Enzo which also has deep sides.
PN made an improvement that best suits the most commonly used bodies at the time of development. testing fitment with the catalog of available autoscales is impractical to say the least for any number of reasons. as it's performance centric, it doesn't need to really address 'narrow' bodies nor unexpected to need to make minor fitment adjustments if necessary. if you making the switch to a performance based 3rd party chassis, minor adjustment of the autoscale is no unexpected labor really.

RussF
2016.12.22, 11:26 AM
Pretty much ditto on everything arch2b said. I like the PCB being open for cooling and the minimal dust that gets that high is easy to blow off. I use the 12C and the modification was very easy with a dremel with a cuttoff wheel. Or even easier if you are painting a new white one just do the mod prior to painting and gluing the clips on. This is what I used the first time to do the mod. https://www.fk.com/search/top/?q=McLaren%20MP4-12C%20GT3%20body%20with%20the%20PNR2.5W%20chassis

Tammer
2016.12.22, 11:50 AM
Awesome, thank you both.
Too bad Kenon is closed and tiny is out of stock. I'll have to wait until the 5th.

EMU
2016.12.22, 01:01 PM
Awesome, thank you both.
Too bad Kenon is closed and tiny is out of stock. I'll have to wait until the 5th.

I know for a fact that Cruizin has two in stock. Here is their website http://cruizinrc.com

try calling and he should be able to ship out. He also has good stock on a lot of mini-z gear, including older qteq and reflex goodies that can't be found easily.