PDA

View Full Version : New manufacturer in town?

Tammer
2017.01.17, 01:58 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Earlier today I was doing some searching and came across what appears to be a newer manufacturer in the game. I do not recall ever seeing anything about them in our forum so thought I would share what I discovered.

The name of the company is GL Racing. Seems to be the guy who was designing stuff for Atomic decided to break off on his own (can not blame him Atomic CS is terrible). The guys name is Menson Yu, apparently the website says he is the champion of many mini z titles.

They seem to have some really nice looking carbon rims, also some specific rcp tires as well as some t-plates.

I was going to give them a chance and order some tires, but I was just curious if anyone else has tried their products and if so what was your experience with ordering as well as the product.

I found them here. http://gl-racing.com/store/

cowboysir
2017.01.17, 02:01 PM
I've seen a bunch of FB posts on the GLA 1/27 awd chassis. Looks interesting.

Tammer
2017.01.17, 02:10 PM
I've seen a bunch of FB posts on the GLA 1/27 awd chassis. Looks interesting.

It does look very well built. I really want to see one up close and personal. It seems to be setup exactly like a 10th scale. With adjustable tie rods and such.

The FB post states they will be racing in Belgium for the 28th scale championship so I guess I will wait to see how the cars hold up to the tried and true mini z.

TeeSquared
2017.01.17, 03:00 PM
Their products look really nice. Great find and thank you for sharing :) I want to try some of those carbon rims.

EMU
2017.01.17, 03:02 PM
I raced for Menson for some time under Atomic. GL racing products look to be a step up in quality over what I have seen with the Atomic AMZ. The design has similarities, but looks more refined. The AMZ looks built to a price, while the GL chassis is a better base platform. I cannot compare with the BZ, Which uses a belt drivetrain.

I have not tried the GL chassis, just going by the pictures. I also do not currently have contact with Menson.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.17, 03:25 PM
We carry the GLA; it is great for guys coming from 1/10. They don't have to use/buy a Mini-Z specific radio (something that prevents many people from switching or at least trying out a Mini-Z scale car). It doesn't need many upgrades either unlike the Atomic cars that need basically all the options to work well. The factory offering is quite good. I would definately recommend it to someone starting out or those that really want an AWD car. Note, that in many instances, this car will be slower than a modified MR-03 brushless car. Just saying...

If you want more info, there are lots of guys running the GLA and the Atomic counterpart over at 1/28th world series, which we participate in. We also have about 6/7 guys who run GLA at our track. However as stated, MR-03 still reigns supreme.

EMU
2017.01.17, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your insights Shawn. Many 1/10 drivers will relate more to these mini touring chassis than to an mr03.

in high grip, the 2wd should be better, but low grip and carpet, the awd will show it's strengths. When I raced on low pile carpet with silicone tires, awd was faster... on the fast lap, and very consistent. But we would run out of motor even with a chili. And the power level would drop noticeably through the run as the cells ran hot due to current drain of the hot motors on the awd platform. We ran awd separate from 2we due to the differences in line choice.

With Lipo, that should alleviate much of the motor concerns... But runtime will still be more limited than on AAA due to the size of the 2s pack. On rcp, it should be a non issue since rolling resistance it's lower. But carpet eats speed from the car.

One big difference that I have seen with the GLA in video compared with my stock AMZ, is the steering response of the servo. It looks as fluid and precise as the Kyosho units. That is my biggest issue with my AMZ. I didn't want to search for a new servo, and new electronics to remedy the issue. The GLA has options to include a gogolap awd rx, with an esc. Making it easy to use with a mini-z radio. if I were in the market for an awd car, this would be the one I would get.

Sinister_Y
2017.01.17, 08:47 PM
On a related note. Many guys at our shop have had problems with their steering servo. Many have broke gears inside. I stock a crap load due to this. I mentioned to Menson and I think they have plans for a beefier option, but for now just be aware. Note one guy had used an Atomic metal gear servo but it required quite a rework or even custom servo mount.

EMU
2017.01.17, 11:00 PM
On a related note. Many guys at our shop have had problems with their steering servo. Many have broke gears inside. I stock a crap load due to this. I mentioned to Menson and I think they have plans for a beefier option, but for now just be aware. Note one guy had used an Atomic metal gear servo but it required quite a rework or even custom servo mount.

Thanks for sharing that information... is it one gear that breaks?

arch2b
2017.01.18, 06:28 AM
FYI, this thread (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40793&highlight=GLA) was started earlier.