PDA

View Full Version : PN LSD spur

Blf
2017.01.26, 02:31 AM
I ordered a few of them thinking I could use them with my existing diffs but I don't see bow it will work/sit flush with the pressure plates from any manufacturer..... Assuming these are not even a fit with modification or is there an LSD housing I need?

Ivr been modifying my kyosho diffs to accept the reg 64p spurs and would like your try these out somehow as it seems like I neat concept.

Anyone have any experience with them

Traveler
2017.01.26, 07:02 AM
I use them and like them. Should be a direct replacement for the regular PN 64p spurs, no additional modifications needed. Did you get the ones for Mini-Z? What part number did you order?

Blf
2017.01.26, 02:13 PM
MR2951 PN Racing Mini-Z 2WD Machine Cut Delrin Limited Slip 64P V2 Spur Gear 51T

They just have a little lip on each side around the center bearing hole and the pressure plates would not sit flush

Blf
2017.01.26, 02:20 PM
Can you only use pn plates? I don't have it in front of me but I think the kyosho ball diff plates seem to leave a lot of room on t the outer portion - smaller diameter

cowboysir
2017.01.26, 02:46 PM
I have trimmed the lip on PN spurs for certain diffs that have plates that weren't quite right...the removed lip does not affect performance.

Traveler
2017.01.26, 03:08 PM
Can you only use pn plates? I don't have it in front of me but I think the kyosho ball diff plates seem to leave a lot of room on t the outer portion - smaller diameter

I have them on diffs with Kyosho plates and QteQ diff parts with no problem. But you do have to sand the inner QteQ and Kyosho diff part flush with the plates to avoid binding. But this would be required on regular PN 64p spurs too.

Can you post a picture?

Blf
2017.01.26, 05:12 PM
Right - I've been sanding the kyosho parts to fit flush with my reg 64p PN 10 ball spurs - are the qteq diff parts available anywhere?

Blf
2017.01.26, 05:49 PM
Just got one on a pn copy( x power) diff and yes it works but you can see a tiny bit of the exposed ceramic ball slots at the outer edge of the plate. Same with kyosho plates .....I any take a pic at moment but it seems like tire / rcp debris will get in there easy and foul up the action of the balls moving in the slots

lfisminiz
2017.01.26, 07:17 PM
Yes the Kyosho diff plates, you will see more of the ceramic ball on outer edge of plates. The PN plates cover them more. Never really noticed any issues with the Kyosho plates and ceramic balls showing more.
I mostly use the full PN diffs now....just like them better.

Blf
2017.01.27, 04:36 AM
Thanks Larry - now it makes sense

Are you using those LSD spurs or the reg 64p?

Also, to those using the LSD spur, how many and where do you put the balls? I put 12 in this first one

lfisminiz
2017.01.27, 04:58 AM
I use that spur in 64p. Use 6 balls. Either 6 balls in regular holes ( more round) or 6 in oblong holes (limited slip).

Traveler
2017.01.27, 05:27 PM
are the qteq diff parts available anywhere?

Reflex used to be the US authorized dealer, but I've been out of the mix for 3 years, so don't know if that is still the case. I may have an extra new set laying around.

mleemor60
2017.01.27, 05:57 PM
Reflex still has a limited number of Z parts on hand. It was a wall full in 2015 while I was down there. Contact them and see.

Blf
2017.01.28, 05:38 PM
Why do the spurs seem so loose/wobbly with all that play even when the diff is set at normal slippage - the reflex and pn LSD
Spurs seem to have it there worst - any fix for that or is it normal?

mleemor60
2017.01.28, 05:59 PM
The dif is set on ball tension. The spur serves as support for the balls and receives torsional rotation in return.

Blf
2017.01.29, 12:28 AM
Ok - so totally normal for all that play? The reflex white 64p spurs seems the loosest but the pn LSD are pretty loose as well

mleemor60
2017.01.29, 06:46 AM
The Reflex spur's have very little cross section so the gear has less thickness or width than the dif balls do. You can actually make your own lightweight spurs minus the hokey LSD part with a piece of 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Just sand the gears on both faces until all material other than the dif ball area has been removed. I have never found any loss of durability in the gears by doing this. If I am running anything other than a 70T I leave the gear a little thicker to absorb the torque increase.

yasuji
2017.01.29, 04:20 PM
The Reflex spur's have very little cross section so the gear has less thickness or width than the dif balls do. You can actually make your own lightweight spurs minus the hokey LSD part with a piece of 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Just sand the gears on both faces until all material other than the dif ball area has been removed. I have never found any loss of durability in the gears by doing this. If I am running anything other than a 70T I leave the gear a little thicker to absorb the torque increase.
Hokey LSD part?... Hahaha... PN LSD has been my go to spur since 2010 I wouldn't necessarily call is hokey....hahaha

cowboysir
2017.01.29, 06:12 PM
Grant, It's hokey in the sense that the every day driver wouldn't feel the benefit or any discernible difference between a standard 64p and an LSD 64p....at least that's the way I would read and understand that.

Blf
2017.01.29, 06:15 PM
Today I tried a slightly thicker Tamiya silver 2mm e-clip, it cleans up a lot of the slop & does not seem to inhibit smooth, consistent diff operation ..... seems like a winner

mleemor60
2017.01.29, 06:52 PM
Grant, It's hokey in the sense that the every day driver wouldn't feel the benefit or any discernible difference between a standard 64p and an LSD 64p....at least that's the way I would read and understand that.

Well put Cowboy. Thanks. In truth I still run them in one class for the additional loss of rotating mass but I install it backwards so it can't lock. It has proven to be a very durable part.