PDA

View Full Version : Screw holes way too tight?

Inferius77
2017.07.01, 11:08 PM
I bought my first Mini-Z about a week ago and have used it almost every day. I am blown away by its quality. It's a perfectly tuned machine. I bought a MR-03 VE Pro MM2 Chassis, with a La Ferrari body and a KT-18 transmitter.

To use the La Ferrari body I had to extend the chassis by one notch. (I think its called HM to MM). I also had to switch to wide suspension. My concern is how difficult it was to do. Basically, any time I had to screw screws into a different set of holes (holes that haven't been used yet), it was EXTREMELY hard to do, and in fact there are a few screws that are still like a millimeter away from tight. I don't understand why it is so hard to screw them in. Has anyone else experienced this? I need some suggestions for how to make the holes less resistant to screws. Because some screws were in danger of becoming pretty stripped.

I have a few other threads with different concerns you can check out if you'd like:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=464061#post464061
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=464063#post464063
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=464062#post464062

arch2b
2017.07.02, 09:02 AM
it's surface tension/friction of the stock aluminum screws and the plastics. i've stripped some screws just trying to change a T plate. one thing that helps is using a philips driver that is perfectly sized for a superb fit. this reduces the opportunity for slipping and stripping the screw. once you break the seal so to speak, they should come in and out OK. it's for this reason i switch to steel head head screws. you can strip these as well with a dull driver or a defect screw with a socket out of tolerance but in general, it's well worth the meager cost simply to avoid the frustration. Titanium screws are much more costly and in most cases you really don't need to shave weight but add to not necessary. if i ever found the source for these, i'd buy in bulk as the markup makes them expensive. in the mean time i get most of mine in buying used stuff that already has them.

a helpful tip, don't over tighten, even it it isn't full seated. stripping out a hole is a pain and you end up having the replace the part. placing the screw in and turning backwards a touch to feel the threads seat themselves before turning down also helps.

Inferius77
2017.07.02, 12:28 PM
Excellent advice, thanks. It's helpful to know that it's not just me having that expierence, and I'm glad you let me know it's possible to strip the hole itself, that wouldn't be fun. I'll likely get steel head screws next. I definitely need to order some spare screws soon, before I need one and there's none on hand

TeeSquared
2017.07.05, 06:32 PM
The problem is that you are screwing into holes that have not yet been threaded. The extreme resistance is from cutting the threads for the first time. It's normal. Go slow and use a screw you can afford to strip. If you don't have any extra screws, I'd look at getting an MR-03 screw kit for spares/threading holes for the first time.

Follow Archs advice though :) Especially about over-tightening!

Inferius77
2017.07.06, 12:29 AM
Ahh thanks so much for the explanation. I'm actually in the middle of throwing together a shopping cart right now, so I'll throw screws in there too.

Minizorro
2017.07.09, 11:14 AM
hehe your posts are funny: I'm blown away with the quality of the car, however: screws don't fit, radio signal is weird, rear damper sticks and LaFerrari shells doesn't fit properly...
You'll find these little problems, and the troubleshooting of them, are also part of the fun!

EMU
2017.07.12, 04:21 PM
In virgin holes, I screw one turn in then quarter out
.. repeat until screw is fully seated. If you have self tapping screws, the ones that have a little notch in the thread these are designed to create threads and allow space for the excess material that is being cut to fill.

In many cars that I replace the chassis, I use a tap and only use machine screws with fine thread since all holes are new.

TeeSquared
2017.07.12, 06:53 PM
hehe your posts are funny: I'm blown away with the quality of the car, however: screws don't fit, radio signal is weird, rear damper sticks and LaFerrari shells doesn't fit properly...
You'll find these little problems, and the troubleshooting of them, are also part of the fun!

...sounds like every niche hobby ever :p :rolleyes: