PDA

View Full Version : concrete floor traction

wallscraper
2001.12.16, 09:15 AM
Does anybody have any ideas what I could do to make my smooth concrete floor have more traction? I have washed it with soap and water but it only helps it a little. I don't want to put carpeting or any other material down for I need to put my wife's car back in the garage after we are done racing. thanks
PS. Pics cominig soon!

mini-z
2001.12.16, 10:46 AM
Is painting it an option? (you could put the car in even if it is painted)

wallscraper
2001.12.16, 11:26 AM
I didn't think of that option. Wouldn't it make it more slippery? Is there a special paint for traction? I wonder how it would hold up with me wrenching on the atv's and trucks (full size). :D

Mondo
2001.12.16, 01:31 PM
Wallscraper

Instead of going through the labours of floor painting and coatings, ever considered trying different setups and tyre compounds?

I have run my Mini-Z on smooth concrete (Warehouse) flooring with the stock tyres only to find that it slips and slides.
I tried the Kyosho soft compounds tyres (As in the UK I battle to find real hop-ups like GPM etc..) and the difference was amazing.

I also toyed with font spring settings, added a single (Kyosho) rear shock, fitted Kyosho carbon fibre H-Plate and ball diff.
The result is a car that handles better and with the ball diff being adjustable, you can limit your tailsliding through diff settings.

The hops ups should offer better traction on the smooth surface and they also make your Mini-Z a lot more interesting to tinker with :D

Remember Mini-Zracing.com has all those great little parts that turn your Mini-Z into a mighty Mini-Z.

Keep up the faith :D

Mondo

mini-z
2001.12.16, 02:30 PM
wallscraper: you can get rubberized paint which would mean awesome traction. Not sure how it would stand up to the big cars. mondo: good point, I completely neglected to check with wallscraper that his Mini-Z was already optimally configured!

Draconious
2001.12.16, 03:52 PM
Seal yer garage off how you need to maintain the foundation of your garage, more important.. Then just get carpet, and built a long tube, to ROLL it up on.. once the carpet is down you can just cut some pipe insolation in half, then PIN it to the carpet... (if pining it dont work add a layer of cork baord ;). --- just an idea I was going to try.. but my garage is so full of junk aint no way I can get to it, I hate having a house with no basement, the junk piles up in the living quarters... hehe.

Mondo
2001.12.17, 08:57 AM
Wallscraper,

If you really want to paint the floor, why not try some tennis court paint, available in green or reddish colours.

The stuff grips like mad and is obviously durable as most tennis courts are outside and have the full weight of adults and children skidding along the same areas with their grippy tennis shoes.

:D

Mini-Z Admin - hehe! Thanks!

Mondo

Draconious
2001.12.17, 11:49 AM
Tennis courts are not usualy subject to parking lot messes, spilled oil greese, lubes, antifreeze.... go dump some on the local court see what happens ;) (hehe kidding, dont you get arrested).

wallscraper
2001.12.17, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. My Z has a few hop-ups on it already. I am running a CLK D2 body Kyosho front springs(green),ball diff.,and med H-plate(long wheelbase). RC Model rear spring,ball bearings, and soft tires :D I am currently trying to dial everything in, for I haven't had to much time to run on the new track. I will research the tennis court paint and let everone know what I find out. As for the carpet, I to don't have a basement Drac, and space is also at a premium in my garage! Luckily I have an oversized 2 car and made my track 18x14 ft. Pics to come soon! thanks for your advice, keep them coming!:)

wallscraper
2001.12.27, 11:44 PM
I finally got around to researching the tennis paint and a local supply co. said that the paint should stand-up to all the abuse I would put it through. The only bad part is that the paint is mixed with a sand like plastic pellets and would make the floor rough. Also if the paint did start to peel(over time) they said it would be a pain to get the remaining paint up.:( But! I was talking to some freinds at work about my delema, and they said to put a small amount of cola syrup on the floor. (like Pepsi) so I tried it and it WORKS!!!!. I took a 2 liter of Pepsi and put a very fine mist down from a bug sprayer and let it dry. Man the traction is AMAZING!!! and to top it off all I have to do to clean it is use soap and water!:D
Can't talk now-----I'm going racing!!!!!!

wallscraper
2001.12.27, 11:46 PM
Pics to arrive soon!!!!

Draconious
2001.12.28, 05:50 AM
There is a rather nasty side effect to doing that to a garage floor... ants, they will start to flood into your house/garage area come warm weather, even if you think you washed it all off ;).

Mondo
2001.12.29, 05:36 PM
Wallscraper,

Yup, good idea using the Cola concept. I've seen the 1/10 eletric and 1/8th scale Nitro racers use cola on the bends and start line of their tracks to improve traction too.

I look forward to the pic's

As for the ants, well, if ants invaded my Mini-Z circuit, I think I'd squish 'em dead with my CLK's wide tryes :D
Obviously, mopping the garage floor after the race would prevent a six legged invasion!

Keep up the faith :D

Mondo