PDA

View Full Version : BB Can with stock armature

Slonik
2002.08.23, 08:35 PM
How much will my motor improve if I just my stock armature in a BB can? Or can anybody suggest a good armature fit for the miniz size.

mini-z
2002.08.23, 08:59 PM
A fair amount, but you may as well take some winds off while you've got it apart for a bigger performance increase with the new can and magnets.

Slonik
2002.08.23, 09:48 PM
Mini-z,

Do you have those cans in stock?

mini-z
2002.08.23, 10:22 PM
Yep:

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=312

:)

ianc
2002.09.09, 07:04 PM
mini-z,

About that Squat can...

How are the magnets in the thing? Are they stronger than the X-Speed's? Can you use the standard Mabuchi arms in this can? Does the endbell itself have a bearing too, or just a bushing a la X-Speed? How about brushes? Are the bearings replaceable and sold separately?

Thanks for any info,

ianc

Draconious
2002.09.09, 07:09 PM
squat = ball bearing at both ends, 2 different sizes, the plastic end bell is specificly made to hold the bearing... the magnets are not that much stronger then stock/xspeed, but they are a bit stronger.

mini-z
2002.09.09, 08:17 PM
How are the magnets in the thing? Are they stronger than the X-Speed's? Can you use the standard Mabuchi arms in this can? Does the endbell itself have a bearing too, or just a bushing a la X-Speed? How about brushes? Are the bearings replaceable and sold separately?

They are stronger than X-Speed, but not insanely strong. Yes, standard 130 arms. BB at both ends. Brushes are not included, and the bearings are replaceable. If you can wait a day or two we'll have brushes, magnets, etc. available in the Shop. Thanks!

Karl.no
2002.09.14, 03:55 PM
"-How much will my motor improve if I just my stock armature in a BB can?"

Quite a bit. A lot more punch in the lower end of the rpm scale. But we're having trouble deciding which is the stronger motor, Squat BB+stock or x-speed. It's a close race...

I received my Squat BB cans from HERE (thanks mini-z!) a little while ago and didn't tell the others :-) But I had a hell of a time shimming it properly, 'cause the outer diametre of the bearing flange is SMALLER than the stock motor. It would therefore "slide around" in the two endbell motor-brackets in my F1. Two pieces of urethane tape solved the problem.

DOHCrazy
2002.10.19, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by mini-z
A fair amount, but you may as well take some winds off while you've got it apart for a bigger performance increase with the new can and magnets.

can someone tell/show me hwo to perform this operation?

Karl.no
2002.10.21, 04:54 PM
"-If you need to ask, dont attemt to do it yourself"

(No pun intended):)

DOHCrazy
2002.10.21, 05:53 PM
your right...but ill never learn if i dont try..i have extra motors to mess around withthat i dont care about!

Psyklops
2002.10.24, 03:23 AM
Do what I did....kill your stock motor after you get something better. I completely unwound and threw away the stock wire, and went for thicker stuff, namely 26 AWG, and 28 AWG. The 26 is thicker than the 28. I even bought some 130 size motors from the electronics store, just for the armatures. They were like US$1 each. Have a search for threads on winding motors and have a shot. It takes practice, but I am sure you'll get it right eventually. It took me a few attempts to make one that worked well. I will just re-iterate that there is quite a bit of info in this site about it, and quite recent too, so have a search. Let us know how you go..good luck:)

Karl.no I disagree with your comment about if you need to ask don't do it. I have successfully made my own motors, and replaced my FETs with a 2x2 of IRF7389s. I was able to do this because I asked questions, and received guidance from other forum members, for which I am grateful. DOHcrazy might be better than me at wielding tools and creating things, and for that one speculative reason I will encourage him.I am sure you can see the logic in this;)

Karl.no
2002.10.24, 04:04 PM
My statement was intended as... a thumbrule, not a rule.

I have another thumbrule aswell:
"-If you think you can do it, or you think you cant do it, YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!"