PDA

View Full Version : question on wheels

West.F1
2002.08.23, 08:14 PM
i'm fairly new to the sedan scene as i'm more an F1 fanatic.

anyway i have the mini sedan with D2 mercedes DTM body. i have the ball diff, rear roll shock set and 1 degree toe in rod.

i purchased a set of alloy rims for this car and even though they look nice, especially with the visible brake discs, the rims are slightly smaller in diameter and also are more inset that the stock rims that came with the D2 body. With this, i noticed the handling has a more sensitive feel especially during cornering. sensitivity may be good for some but for me it's a big turn off.

anyone else had this problem? the D2 rims are better handling than the smaller diameter alloys and of course the stock rims.

anyone know who makes larger diameter rims for the mini sedans? i take it the larger the diameter the better. or is this thinking wrong?

cheers.

mini-z
2002.08.23, 08:34 PM
Square is the only larger rim maker, the Inch Up series give you a slightly larger diameter.

W-tone
2002.08.24, 01:08 AM
Also, if the alloys are not spesifically made for CLK the offset is wrong and the the whees sit too much inside the wheel wells.
I have 2 sets of GPM alloys, one is for CLK and one is for general use.
If I mount the general use wheels on my CLK they do not look good, can't comment on the handling though.

Mondo
2002.08.24, 03:26 AM
West.F1

Z-Speed wheels for the CLK are awesome.
A little on the costly side, but they ship with foam tyres.
Here's a pic from a previous Thread of my CLK with Z-Speeds fitted.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=21875

Slonik
2002.08.24, 02:20 PM
Are these as wide as normal CLK wheels by GPM?

Mondo
2002.08.24, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Slonik
Are these as wide as normal CLK wheels by GPM?

Look at the picture of the rear end..
That says it all.

Yes they are

Slonik
2002.08.24, 03:51 PM
I love the z-speeds but Im still not gonna get them due my funding problem, unless someone has used ones and is willing to sell them

diego50
2002.08.25, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by West.F1
... i noticed the handling has a more sensitive feel especially during cornering. sensitivity may be good for some but for me it's a big turn off.

The best thing is to make changes to the suspension setup to make the car more suited to your driving.

Most of the aftermarket wheels do have different offsets, but, Mini Z racers are very tuneable, so you can always get the handling you are looking for.

BTW, are the front wheels the same WIDTH as the stock CLK? Some wheel sets come with wider fronts. This will definitely add more traction, making the car more sensitive to steering inputs. Track width usually makes a difference in handling "feel", but usually only to those more experienced racers.

West.F1
2002.08.25, 07:56 AM
BTW, are the front wheels the same WIDTH as the stock CLK? Some wheel sets come with wider fronts. This will definitely add more traction, making the car more sensitive to steering inputs

actually the fronts ARE wider than the stock CLK by a slight margin now that i've taken a closer look. they are wider, smaller in diameter and are more inset. i switched back to the CLK rims which helped. Our carpet track is high grip since we use the reverse side so i must have been getting too much grip with the wider wheels. Obviously too much grip is possible which is not always a good thing.

diego50
2002.08.25, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by West.F1
...actually the fronts ARE wider than the stock CLK...

You could try installing harder front springs like GPM gold or Kyosho Yellow. That might be enough to solve your problem.

323iT
2002.08.26, 05:20 PM
here's a pic i took of my Z speed mounted comparing to the stock wheels. notice the Z Speed front wheels are slightly wider than the stock rear wheels!:eek:
here's the pic http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid15/pd6eb7c137ab1bb89d5e8f6e937fd0a12/fde94825.jpg

BOOST13B
2002.08.29, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone, i am hoping someone may be able to tell me who makes the z-speed wheels, as i have looked everywere and could not find them, any info would be appreciated as i would realy like a set.

butler
2002.08.29, 08:00 AM
Email the shop here. They will either get them in or give you a contact. They are German I think.

mini-z
2002.08.29, 08:10 PM
BOOST13B, the only way to get them short of flying to Germany is to participate in our Group Buy:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4154