PDA

View Full Version : Mini-z Track bldg project in Mich

lightfighter
2002.08.27, 08:43 PM
Need your help to get the ball rolling post ideas here or email me

ScottMcLeod
2002.08.27, 09:05 PM
Start working on something modular, and have each person contribute to the design.

The more people that get together on a given day, the more track peices show up :-)

West.F1
2002.11.07, 10:13 PM
ha. just now realized this section was even in here.

well lightfighter.. what's the update on the construction?

Draconious
2002.11.08, 02:25 AM
I too plan to build a track, in MI of course... but since I also plan to put it in a store or someting, I will have to charge to use it to afford the store. Guess I could always solicit at a local park :) cuz if I do build a track it will likely be sectional, similar to the castle hobbies track, semi portable.

I will help build another track as well...

Is it just going to be your basement track or building another? if so were the heck ya gona put it? ;) I am gona try to make mine about 3 to 5 pieces to put in the back of my truck... hehe.

mini-z
2002.11.08, 08:43 PM
Hehe, MI is going to have a full circuit of tracks soon! :D

lightfighter
2003.01.15, 10:20 AM
how the track projects??

Draconious
2003.01.15, 05:23 PM
Its your thread, you tell US!

West.F1
2003.01.15, 07:26 PM
hey, what's up with you michigan guys. there's supposed to be three tracks in the works right? lightfighters, dracs and i think one at the Shop

Draconious
2003.01.15, 11:23 PM
Cold Weather = I wont be working on a track any time soon ;) -- tools are in the garage, and its cold in there.

And Time $$ is another factor ;) I likely won't have a track this year either unless I make it portable for set up in parks or someting.

lightfighter
2003.07.10, 10:06 AM
track project is back in action

mini-z
2003.07.10, 08:44 PM
Nice, let us know when to come over! :D

lightfighter
2003.07.22, 04:20 PM
expanded the project to a race site and series hopefully

nothing new to add

Mazda787b
2004.08.12, 08:15 PM
I would like to help get a leage for 1/2x scale cars in Metro Detroit. I was looking in the Wyandotte/Tranton area because it is 30mins from just aobut everywhere (canada, toledo, ann arbor). I have two halls in mind, one in Trenton, and one in Wyandotte. The one in trenton is owned by my mom's friend, and I will be speakign with her soon about having a weekly or bi-weekly race night. Unless anyone has a better idea, I planned on buying some PVC pipe, and cutting it in diffierent lengths to make a track. The hall has a concession stand where we could sell pop or chips to cover the room, and eventually a Lap timing system (even an orion one would work).

mini-z
2004.08.13, 01:46 PM
Mazda787b, I'm assuming you're Ryan who emailed us - we've already got the track and timing system, so all we need is the location and a way to transport the track (my car is a 2 seater convertible) and we're golden! How many racers are there in your area who would be up for it? Thanks! :)

Draconious
2004.08.13, 02:03 PM
well ive got a pickup lol... gona get a flat cap for the rear soon...

but same problem that we always have... LOCATION, facility... we got the tracks lol... just no place to set them up...

mini-z
2004.08.13, 02:13 PM
:confused: Did you see above? Mazda787b may have it taken care of! :cool:

Mazda787b
2004.08.19, 12:07 PM
Mini-z, yes I am him (xmodsperformance) from the email. I am waiting for the hall owner to contact me. I know for sure I could get some Xmodders to come, because I know most of the people at my local Radioshack. My friend, as well as I are ordering an Iwavers. I plan on ordering ones for two of my family members. As soon as I get the location secured, I will let you guys know and that way I can get some flyers and we can post them up at our Local Hobby Stores.

Sorry for the taryness of my reply, I have been very busy lately.

I will be re-calling the hall owner today, to try and get a response.

*edit*

Well, my father has a Ford F-250 Superduty Diesel truck with a hydraulis lift gate in the back, which would be perfect. The only problem is that some days it is full of semi-truck tires! If not, I am sure I am sure I could get someone to do it. We have a Dodge Dakota, or my Grandpas Dodge which would fit the bill quite nicely.

mini-z
2004.08.19, 02:52 PM
Very cool - I got your emails btw and will reply shortly - thanks! :)

Stagg
2004.09.11, 12:37 PM
I was wondering what the deal is with the track? still trying to get a place? I love pretty close to detroit so i'd be in anytime. Humm... Do u guys know any good hobby shops around that have room, so they could sponser it, but we provide like a track? It would draw people to there store, we just need there area.

mini-z
2004.09.13, 09:47 PM
We've got a track, just need a place to set it up. This option is still looking like it may work out.

Mazda787b
2004.10.05, 09:15 PM
Well, I have been searching (still), and have some places in mind. The only problem is making rent. I need to know how many people would be interesed in comming. I do not know what is good for everyone, so just for starters, state if you woeuld be interested in comming, what class you want to compete in, and when you would like to come. Mini-z, feel free to edit or make a poll of some sort, or change what you want.

lightfighter
2004.10.22, 10:39 PM
hey what did you have in mind..........I don't think you should rent a place we need some where free that we can use the space..........I have tried a few place and they all just laughed at me

my invite is still open we can race at my work if we can get a good showing of ppl

Draconious
2004.10.23, 01:09 AM
im up for it if we can get a lap counter lol...

Mazda787b
2004.10.28, 05:03 PM
Mini-Z said he has that taken care of. We can use my dad's truck to transport it all. All we need is a location. I figured we could advertise on all sites. It will make it easier to get people. I want to have an xmod clas so I can race my ultimate xmod. It has Mini-T electronics in it.

Mazda787b
2004.10.31, 07:54 PM
Well update, I am in the market for a Mini-Z again. going to bu a iWaver or a used one next week. I found a place, rents out for $100 all night to another r/c club. I am calling monday to see if they will do the same for us.

Mazda787b
2004.11.01, 04:59 PM
Ok, update again. I called the Dom Polski Hall. It is in Wyandotte, MI. They only have tuesday nights open, and it runs $100. For weekends it is $299 or $399 (I forgot). Tuesnday I don't think is a good night, I will continue to look. How many people would be interested in comming out?

lightfighter
2004.11.10, 08:40 AM
Kinda expensive...............I we can race at my work or in my basement for that matter............like Drac said we just need a lapcounter

mini-z
2004.11.10, 12:05 PM
I have a lap counter (KO), I just need a few parts for it and we'd be up and running. I have tracks too, but everyone knows they won't fit in my two seater. We just bought a new house, which has a 3 car garage and a large basement, so those are options if we can't find a location. :cool:

lightfighter
2004.11.10, 09:01 PM
I'm trying to org a Michigan-Ohio series.......maybe expand it later if ppl show some interest in it............Let make this happen we have been talking about it for too long :D

lightfighter
2004.11.15, 03:54 PM
bottom line is to just org a G2G for our area.............I have a track at my house you have a track at your house so we can alternate sites and just bring food and drinks and just race :D

Mazda787b
2004.12.07, 04:38 PM
Sorry, I ahve been out of the 'scene for a while. I have called just about every place around here, and the gtg sounds liek the best idea. I am ordering a new iWaver for christmas, so I will most definately want to come. How does something over christmas break sound?

will3kgt
2004.12.09, 11:51 AM
Sorry, I ahve been out of the 'scene for a while. I have called just about every place around here, and the gtg sounds liek the best idea. I am ordering a new iWaver for christmas, so I will most definately want to come. How does something over christmas break sound?

I race every Sunday in Grand Blanc, MI at Hobbytown. We race 1:18, Mini T, and mini-z on a RCP track. Cost is $10 if interested in racing. I like to race at other venues also, so anyone let me know where and when and I'll be there to race.

SonicFury
2004.12.10, 12:40 AM
I'll race your mini-z with my xmod, and when I win, I get your 3000gt :)

lol nice to see you Will, how you doing

Mazda787b
2004.12.10, 06:25 PM
Hmm that thing in Grand Blanc sounds fun, but I live in southern Wayne Co. A bit to ofar of a drive for me to make regularly. But who knows, mabey I will have to bring the Mini-T and IW-02 out there (I ordered my 02 today).

mini-z
2004.12.10, 06:30 PM
I've got a Mini96 set up in the basement now, the hard part will be finding a time that works for everyone.

Draconious
2004.12.10, 06:59 PM
im limited only by there being ice on the road lol
cant drive in that stuff... lol

mini-z
2004.12.10, 07:14 PM
My schedule is a nightmare, so that will probably be what makes it tricky. About the only time I can see working is early Sunday afternoon. And w/ the holidays coming up, I don't know if that will even work. :rolleyes:

SonicFury
2004.12.10, 09:45 PM
Hmm that thing in Grand Blanc sounds fun, but I live in southern Wayne Co. A bit to ofar of a drive for me to make regularly. But who knows, mabey I will have to bring the Mini-T and IW-02 out there (I ordered my 02 today).

you should come. there's always a good amount of competition, the track layouts are big and challenging, and the races are taken seriously.

ruknd@aol.com
2004.12.11, 01:35 AM
im limited only by there being ice on the road lol
cant drive in that stuff... lol
tape up your z wheels an practice on that then take your 1:1 to the ice ;)

Draconious
2004.12.11, 06:37 AM
No I just need to fill the entire back end of my truck with sand bags...

The problem is sitting at a light when ice is on ground, if I just slowly let off the brake the tires start to spin LOL... (Ford Lightning).

But yea, its kinda like driving a Z with 60 (50 is stock lol) tires, on a shiny smooth tile floor...

Stagg
2004.12.23, 07:52 PM
well like i said in another thread we may be able to have a place that my grandpa owns, ill find out tomorrow.

will3kgt
2004.12.24, 02:43 AM
I'll race your mini-z with my xmod, and when I win, I get your 3000gt :)

lol nice to see you Will, how you doing
Are you serious?! I'll beat that X-mod with everything stock! Then I get your Lumina. HA! HA! HA! Hope to see you there this Sunday. Tell the fam' I said Merry Christmas. :cool:

will3kgt
2004.12.24, 02:47 AM

I got my IW-02 last week and it is nice! I won on the track last weekend with everything stock except the motor. (Used an x-speed.) You won't be dissappointed.

SonicFury
2004.12.24, 02:49 AM
Are you serious?! I'll beat that X-mod with everything stock! Then I get your Lumina. HA! HA! HA!

spring break, my friend, spring break :)

will3kgt
2004.12.24, 02:57 AM
spring break, my friend, spring break :)
Spring break it is then. I'll have a nice suprise for that Lithium-Ion slug of yours.
I hope it doesn't fall apart trying to keep up. :D

will3kgt
2004.12.24, 03:15 AM
well like i said in another thread we may be able to have a place that my grandpa owns, ill find out tomorrow.
I'll race with you guys. I just need directions.

Stagg
2004.12.24, 05:33 PM
well im off to take some pictures at the hall, dont mind the peopel in the pictures,lol.

SonicFury
2005.01.03, 12:48 AM
well, I was racing again today at Hobby Town, and Will3KGT, better known to us as just Will, basically OWNED everybody. M18 XRAY, and MiniZ both.

yay for Will :)

Mazda787b
2005.02.22, 11:45 AM
Hobbytown where? They race Zs?

SonicFury
2005.02.22, 02:33 PM
Hobbytown where? They race Zs?

yes they race 1/28 and 1/18 cars/trucks on RCP every Sunday from noon-4. It's located in Grand Blanc in the Grand Mall on Saginaw Street. If you would like directions, I would be happy to help you out :)

Mazda787b
2005.02.26, 10:44 PM
Please, mabey I can try and make it out with my iWaver sometime. I would love to go!

SonicFury
2005.02.27, 01:18 AM
where will you be coming from? Do you know how to get into Grand Blanc?

will3kgt
2005.02.27, 04:48 AM
Please, mabey I can try and make it out with my iWaver sometime. I would love to go!
You should come out I need some competition..I have a feeling you'd be a good challenge. If you're interested we also race X-rays and Mini-Ts. We'll be racing today starting at 11:00am, we usually run until 4pm or later. Hope to see you there. I'd also like to race you in your hometown if you have a place to race.

Mazda787b
2005.02.27, 06:31 PM
I live in Woodhaven, exit 32 off of I-75. Heck, Im getting an RC18 next week, I could come out with both, and even my Mini-T. Sounds like a fun time.

Mazda787b
2005.03.03, 08:18 PM
Well I can't edit my posts, so yeah. Shoot me some rules 1/18 offroad, on-road, and Z). I'm working with one ofmy LHS to get a Micros & Minis race day going, but Id love to come out.

Im looking for a nice M18 currently, the RC18 fell through.

SonicFury
2005.03.04, 12:34 AM
Well I can't edit my posts, so yeah. Shoot me some rules 1/18 offroad, on-road, and Z). I'm working with one ofmy LHS to get a Micros & Minis race day going, but Id love to come out.

Im looking for a nice M18 currently, the RC18 fell through.

I'm not sure exactley what you were trying to say there in the first part of your post. Were you asking for rules? Basically, as long as it runs and it's in the right class, you can race.

to get here, you need to take I-75 North, and take exit 106 (S. Saginaw Road), continue on that road (Saginaw) for a while until the speed limit is slowed to 35. When you see a sign saying reduced speed limit ahead of 35, you're entering the town. Immediately ahead of you on your right there should be a big sign that says Grand Mall. There's a bunch of stores in the grand mall, but you need to go the main entrance. It's right in the middle you'll know it when you see it (right next door to the Sugar Buzz). Walk in and you'll see us. If you see Kessels or McDonald's you've gone too far. Good luck!

if you're going to come let us know what you look like or something

Mazda787b
2005.03.04, 11:53 PM
Alright, I will have to come out this spring. Yeah, I was asking for a set of rules to see what my cars fall into.

Thanks,

Mazda

will3kgt
2005.03.05, 06:54 AM
Alright, I will have to come out this spring. Yeah, I was asking for a set of rules to see what my cars fall into.

Thanks,

Mazda
As long as your car runs you can race. The laps are counted by computer. If you don't have a transponder then you'll be hand counted. I'll be out to race you sometime this spring and summer thanks for the directions.

Mazda787b
2005.03.05, 09:29 PM
Ill have more info as I get it on the racing down here.

But, which transponders do you need? I am looking to buy an AMB personal to use in all my cars, will those work?

will3kgt
2005.03.06, 12:55 AM
Ill have more info as I get it on the racing down here.

But, which transponders do you need? I am looking to buy an AMB personal to use in all my cars, will those work?
I'm not sure exactly. Hobbytown provides transponders for you. Hey SonicFury! Are you coming out tommorow?

SonicFury
2005.03.07, 03:28 AM
Will turn on your email!

will3kgt
2005.03.11, 05:02 AM
I'm here to report that after 21 weeks of running everyone off the track in the Mini-z class, my G'Zox NSX lost to an MR-01 in 3 out of 4races. My wheel fell off in one race, my pinion was knocked out of place after getting hit in another race, but in this third race I just ate RCP track dust. So I ask my friend
"What motor are you running?"
"A Kyosho X-speed."
"My a-- an x-speed! That's what I'm running and you're killing me on the straight away. You can barely control that thing."
"It's an X-speed with 3x2 FET upgrade."
"Oh." :o
Come to find out, his job is in electrnics and he has access to all kinds of FETS. So after getting my a-- handed to me for the 1st time in a very long time, :rolleyes:
He kindly offered his services to me and I'm having two of my cars getted modded with 3x2 FET upgrades.

*As for the race I won...I won by 3 laps. :cool: So what will happen when I get my FET upgrades? ;) ( Any challengers with X-mods please take your car off the track.)

Mazda787b
2005.03.11, 04:24 PM
What FETs is he running?

will3kgt
2005.03.13, 01:58 AM
:D He used the 4562DY. He completed fetting my cars and I picked them up this afternoon. He charged me $40. I took my car home and it flies!

will3kgt
2005.03.21, 01:13 AM
Well, I raced my fetted car on the track this morning and I made the mistake of putting in my IW X-speed pro. It was just too fast for me to handle. My back tire came off of its rim (It was superglued on by the way.) I got my a-- handed to me by an F1 with an x-speed motor.

Mazda787b
2005.05.17, 04:23 PM
LoL Will, it always seems like you get your arse handed to you because you have too fast of a car.

Anyways, that was an old post and I am here to revive this thread.

Anyone still up for this? I sold my iWaver to buy a Kyosho and I would really like to get some racing going here.

SonicFury
2005.05.17, 04:56 PM
LoL Will, it always seems like you get your arse handed to you because you have too fast of a car.

Anyone still up for this? I sold my iWaver to buy a Kyosho and I would really like to get some racing going here.

If you can get to Grand Blanc, we'll give you people to race, and we have a great surface.

Mazda787b
2005.05.17, 08:18 PM
Ugh, alright. Not that I should really be complaining, but I was looking for something more in the Metro Det. Area.

SonicFury
2005.05.17, 08:27 PM
Ugh, alright. Not that I should really be complaining, but I was looking for something more in the Metro Det. Area.

Well Will and I may look into a compromise for you.

Draconious
2005.05.17, 09:35 PM
best we can do is just get together and race like maniacs on some gym floor some were lol

Mazda787b
2005.05.18, 03:16 PM
LoL.

Yeah, I am looking into something down here. If people will be willing to meet on a weeknight, I can get us a hall rental for $100. Basically, we charge $10 per class (discounts for multiple classes) and have 10 people show up, we're sold. We could even race 1/18s too, if we wanted.

SonicFury
2005.05.18, 03:28 PM
as long as Monsters are fair game, I'm in. Because I really don't feel like racing my XMOD.

Mazda787b
2005.05.18, 10:05 PM
as long as Monsters are fair game, I'm in. Because I really don't feel like racing my XMOD.

Sure, as long as we can get people there. I am making some flyers to put up at the local Radioshacks (the more people we can get, the easier it is to make rent and the cheaper it is to race), and the local hobby shops.

We can get the hall from like 4pm until 11 (or whenever) on either a tuesday or thursday night for only $100. Even if Mini-Z can't make it out there, we could make a track out of PVC and get some ozite-type carpeting. The only speedbump we would hit is a timing and scoring system.

SonicFury
2005.05.19, 01:35 AM
sounds awesome when/if you get a set time and place, Will and I will start spreading the word.

will3kgt
2005.05.19, 03:08 PM

That's old news and I just had two bad weeks of testing out something new. Kinda like Tiger Woods going thru his swing change. Anyway if you come up this way with your mini-z you might see why it's very hard for me to get my arse handed to me. :D
Here's why

Mazda787b
2005.05.19, 04:00 PM
Nah man, I was just giving you a hard time. As soon as I can sell my TLT, a MR-02 will be on it's way. I sold my iw-02 awhile ago. But wait a tick, you are running iwavers up there? How do they compare to the MR-02s? I see you have lithium, eh? Is it making a big diffierence in runtimes, etc?

Mazda787b
2005.05.19, 06:48 PM
Doubble Post!!!

Anyways, Rider's Taylor will let us race at their asphalt track on Sundays. It only costs $5 for the day. I will have a list of dates soon. Check www.downriverrc.com for more info. Al 1/2x cars invited!

will3kgt
2005.05.19, 09:15 PM
Doubble Post!!!

Anyways, Rider's Taylor will let us race at their asphalt track on Sundays. It only costs $5 for the day. I will have a list of dates soon. Check www.downriverrc.com for more info. Al 1/2x cars invited!
Mazda, I am so there! You just give me the date and time..Maybe some of my crew can make it too. Sonicfury may be able to make it. He's the one who put in my Lith-Ion batteries. My Iwaver's run every bit as good as my Kyoshos..There's been alot of debate on the two so I just bought both. Once you put in all the hop ups with Lith-Ions, there's only a minor difference. (That's just my opinion.) I ran my Enzo (Lith-Ion) for almost an hour. I wish I took a before and after picture of the foam tires. (Might as well have ran on sandpaper. :o )
I'll certainly be there whenever...I'm off on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. I just need directions, or the address. Hope to race ya soon so south MI can see how we do it in Grand Blanc. :cool: Take care.
Here's spme pictures from back in the day.

Mazda787b
2005.05.19, 09:55 PM
Mazda, I am so there! You just give me the date and time..Maybe some of my crew can make it too. Sonicfury may be able to make it. He's the one who put in my Lith-Ion batteries. My Iwaver's run every bit as good as my Kyoshos..There's been alot of debate on the two so I just bought both. Once you put in all the hop ups with Lith-Ions, there's only a minor difference. (That's just my opinion.) I ran my Enzo (Lith-Ion) for almost an hour. I wish I took a before and after picture of the foam tires. (Might as well have ran on sandpaper. :o )
I'll certainly be there whenever...I'm off on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. I just need directions, or the address. Hope to race ya soon so south MI can see how we do it in Grand Blanc. :cool: Take care.
Here's spme pictures from back in the day.

Yeah, I wanna get up there. Looks like my TLT will be sold, so I should be ordering my 02 (most likely Kyosho) soon. I know it is just about every sunday. I really want to do nimh, but if li-ion makes a huge diffierence who knows, I amy even go back to li-polymer. That would be cool if Sonic could go, even with an Xmod. Im putting up flyers for racing up at the Local Xmod tracks, I just need the dates from my LHS. I will go up there this weekend to talk to the guy.

I had my iWaver 02 for awhile, but it just sat because the fets blew after a few days and I lost intrest. The kingpins were marred up and sticking. I wasn't that impressed. The new iws look to be improved, but ph2t said that the steering is weak when running a hotter motor.

will3kgt
2005.05.20, 01:54 AM
I don't doubt that statement, you take a chance when buying an Iwaver. I never had an issue with mine. I have a 2x3 FET upgrade in my IW-02 and I'm running a PN Speedy motor with the Liths. (That's about all the speed I can handle :rolleyes: ) I guess with the FET upgrade I don't get the twitching in my steering.

will3kgt
2005.05.21, 08:45 PM
This is one of our racing spots in Grand Blanc, MI :cool:

will3kgt
2005.05.21, 08:50 PM
Will'z 3kgt

mini-z
2005.05.23, 02:54 PM
will3kgt, you need to set yourself up an Album in the new Gallery!

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/

:)

mini-z
2005.05.23, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I wanna get up there. Looks like my TLT will be sold, so I should be ordering my 02 (most likely Kyosho) soon.

Mazda787b, let me know if you want to pick up locally to save on shipping - I've got some other things I want to talk to you about too... :)

mini-z
2005.06.17, 02:59 PM
Okay, who's up for some racing in Ann Arbor?

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18600

:)

Mazda787b
2005.06.18, 07:07 PM
Mazda787b, let me know if you want to pick up locally to save on shipping - I've got some other things I want to talk to you about too... :)

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a busy few weeks. Check your mail on shop@minizracer.com I will be sending you one in aboue 3 minutes.

Draconious
2005.07.07, 07:00 PM
new thread related too this:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18769

mini-z
2005.11.15, 02:01 PM
MZR Race in Ann Arbor this Friday! :D

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19848

:cool: