PDA

View Full Version : ESC confusion!

MaukaRunner
2001.12.17, 01:12 PM
On the Mini Z the ESC controls the motor for forward and reverse and it also controls the motor in the servo. Is the norm for all "regular" R/C cars? Does regular R/C cars use two separate contoller for each motor? Is this what they mean by two channel. I saw in the post about the race chassis from Japan they don't use the Mini Z electronics but something else. Is there something else to use to control the steering servo and motor that is compatable with the AM conroller that is provided with the Mini Z? Any help or FAQ page would be appreciated. Thanks.

Russ
2001.12.17, 01:24 PM
This isn't the way most bigger scale RC cars work. There are separate modules for the Speed control, the Receiver, and the servo. You plug the ESC & the servo into the receiver, and the servo is on channel 1 and the ESC is on channel 2, mabye the other way around, but that is what they mean 2 channel...2 different signals are transmitted/received at the same time (eg, steering & throttle).

Hope this answers some ?'s :)

Russ

Russ
2001.12.17, 01:28 PM
Forgot to add something...You can use your controller (perfex radio) to control other RC cars, as long as they are 27MHz AM. This is what I did for my 1/10 HPI rally when I used to have it. So, yes, you can get other things that will control the speed / servo, but they are generally going to be too big to fit under the Z's body. You could build one with no problem, you just couldn't put a body on it without alot of work :)

Russ

wrcracer
2001.12.20, 08:45 AM
hey russ, you had an rs4 rally? i just got one, havent driven it yet (when it came, mother dearest informed me that it was a xmas present, even tho I paid for it). how did you like it?

Russ
2001.12.20, 09:38 AM
it was great, it had the suspension for jumps and mild offroading, but it handled well on the street too. I highly suggest getting a second set of wheels with street slicks on so you won't wear down your rally knobbies. If you run those on the street, they wear down in 1 or 2 battery packs.

I just didn't have the time to keep up with it or the space to run it, but it was super fun!!

Russ