PDA

View Full Version : Kawada Mid 24's Rock

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.09.20, 01:55 PM
I heard that these things are awesome. Anybody have one?

herman
2002.09.20, 04:50 PM
donut has one... i think he posted something about that some time ago... he was able to use mini-z wheels, ball diff, motor mount and motor... was able to put on a mini-z body too...

he also posted his review on tinyrc.com

herman
2002.09.20, 04:56 PM
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388

herman
2002.09.20, 05:00 PM
seen it run on the track too... no more twitchy steering syndrome

herman
2002.09.20, 05:10 PM
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993

more recent pic of donuts 24

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.09.20, 05:51 PM
Man!! after looking at those pics, it seems that Kyosho finally has competition.

Let's see here:

Kawada Mid24
Kit: $74.99 - $94.99

Hop-ups needed: Ball Diff, Bearings, and Special Tie-rods, and ??

Electronics: ES-01 or Team Orion Flash, or Other Micro ESC's, and Dynamite or Shredder Receiver by Hitec

Controller: Can use same Kyosho Perfex

Estimate on Electronics: from $60.00 - $75.00, depending on preference

Uses Same body as mini - Z yet can be adjusted to fit 1/24 model cars WOW!!

How does Donut's Kawada handle?

herman
2002.09.21, 09:08 AM
in one race, the guys at the track allowed him to use his 24 along with the other z's... ran like (here's the old cliche) it was on rails...

but seriously folks... i only got to see him run it one time... which was to my knowledge, the first time he brought it to the track set up the way you saw in the picture...

and when i saw it... man it looked really stable... (read - no glitch)... he went on to be top quilifier in class b and if i'm not mistaken, took class b top honors...

now i'm thinking of getting one... should i, or shouldn't i... that is the question... kinda like the hpi i've been thinking about...
now it's like hpi or kawada... that is the question...

there is another one coming out though... yokomo... but that is another story... still have to see an actual one since from what i know...they've got them in pictures... anybody seen an actual one?

ScottMcLeod
2002.09.21, 04:27 PM
The 24 sounds like quite the "pro" step up from the Mini-Z.

Personally I think the 24 and the HPI are 2 completely different cars. The 24 is still limited by the same requirements for (relatively) smooth surfaces that the Z are, while the RS4 Micro is quite well accustomed to racing on decent asfault.

If you're track racing, you'll have to get a 24 crew together, or "dumb down" your 24 to race with other Z's. You'll find quite the following of micro racers in just about any area.

I've chosen the HPI in my case, because I scored a fairly good deal.

mini-z
2002.09.21, 11:23 PM
NML, you have to try the MID, it's great. The handling is just amazing. And you can mount just about any body on it due to fully adjustable tracking and wheelbase. This thing is perfect for you as it can offer the kind of stability you need as well as the ability to use nice electronics. Check out the TinyRC.com Shop, we've got a full line of hop-ups.

urq435
2002.10.17, 02:14 AM
Don't know whelther or not it's rock yet. But soon. I placed an order recently from Hong Kong because this is the only place currently available and it is the cheapest online store so far. Even adding up the shipping cost to US, it is still the cheapest overall. :D Anyway, I love its flexible feature on body choice. I have my M1 procar body on the way. Hopefully, MID won't let me down. :)

bbc5
2002.10.17, 01:09 PM
hmm, has anyone managed to fit an altezza body on the m24?
i pretty much gave up a while ago ;)

ZGhostDogR8Dr
2002.10.17, 01:32 PM
Can you all stop posting "such and such ROCK !!" threads. Cause'
now I have to get , well I am about 92% sure that I will be getting a Kawada M24. I like the sounds of it. Esp if I can easily fit my custom shells on it !!!! Not to mention that the tinyrc/mini-z shop seems to support it. I know the word has been out but never really inquired into them. Now.. I will be getting one.

Mini-Z .. the Gateway RC

ScottMcLeod
2002.10.17, 03:01 PM
LoL... Give in to the dark side!

First, you start innocently with the Mini-Z's, then you get an M-24... then you get a micro, the darkest, and most powerful of all evils.

But so F'n sweet!!! :D

My wallet's hurting a bit, but nothing a steady paycheck can't fix.

mini-z
2002.10.18, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by bbc5
hmm, has anyone managed to fit an altezza body on the m24?
i pretty much gave up a while ago ;)

Really? What kind of problems did you run into? I fit my MR-S Mini-Z shell on no problem.

urq435
2002.10.18, 12:45 AM
I think he might have the original M-24, not MID version. :D Anyway, I hope the latest version won't let me down.

bbc5
2002.10.18, 01:09 AM
actually, i have the m24 mid...
basically, i'm wondering if there's anyway to mount the body
without using the mini-z diff and wheels at the rear....
i can see how the clk or modena or the other widerbody mini-z's
might work, but my little altezza just seems like a tight squeeze
:(

bbc5
2002.10.18, 01:11 AM
if anyone can contribute to a list of bodies
that have been known to work with the mid with no problems...
ie: easy to install ;)
let me know......
it's just that, IMO, one of the major components
that makes the mini-z so popular
and such a substantial r/c car is the autoscale bodies...
instead of the lexan ones.......
just my opinion ;)
if i could mount my altezza onto the mid....well... :D

herman
2002.10.18, 05:00 AM
hmm... i wonder which rocks most... kawada, abc's x-4, or hpi???

wonder when yokomo is coming out with theirs....

urq435
2002.10.18, 02:40 PM
Hey bbc5, I believe MID is designed to fit almost all 1/24th models and most mini-z bodies as well. You can purchase a mounting set as an option. This is part of its features on highlights. :D

http://tinyrc.com/shop/product.php?pid=113

bbc5
2002.10.18, 03:08 PM
hmm, actually i'm thinking i've been a little too greedy while setting up my mid ;)
i've slapped on a gm v4r esc when i could just use an es-01,
and i have a 2cell battery holder in series with the original
cells for a 6cell mid...
maybe i should back off and be happy with a
4cell es-01 setup first...hehehe...maybe then the bodies will fit...

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.10.18, 04:05 PM
no bbc5, you're in the right direction. Now, slap on a 180, and you'll see. hehe.

I have an Mazda RX3 on mine, and it looks really good and proportioned.

Sorry for not being able to respond to this thread lately. been busy.

mini-z
2002.10.19, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by bbc5
i can see how the clk or modena or the other widerbody mini-z's might work, but my little altezza just seems like a tight squeeze
:(

Like I said my tiny MR-S went on fine - the only thing I can think of is - you have adjusted the tracking width, right?

urq435
2002.10.19, 03:40 AM
Hey, which brand is your MR-S body? Kyosho, Squat or else? Any photos of yours? I am interested in getting one. :D Do you know anything about Kawada MID body mount set? Is it different from the one coming with the kit? Thanks in advance.

mini-z
2002.10.25, 08:55 PM
Mine is Mini Power; the body mount kit is the same one that comes with the car, it's in case you want to use multiple bodies with one car.

urq435
2002.10.25, 11:02 PM
Cool. I just got my Kawada MID a few days ago. I am still waiting for my hop-ups arrivals. :( I was hoping I can use it for tomorrow at Castlehobbies indoor race. I think I have to stay with mini-z in the meanwhile. :)

mini Z modifier
2002.10.26, 09:35 AM
those things look nice. but i think alot of peoples mini Zs from thios site could kick those kawada cars butts.:D :D :D

urq435
2002.10.26, 08:41 PM
Yeah!:) There is only a few hop-ups available. :( I hope the MID version of Kawada coupled with 180 motor can hang on with those modified mini-zs. :D

Donut
2002.10.31, 10:07 AM
Check out my new M24 Mid setup at http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2715

ZGhostDogR8Dr
2002.10.31, 10:38 AM
Donut - thats a clean looking setup.

Looks fun...

I have a question.. I havent seen too much pics on custom shells from lets say static kits. I hear how easy it is , but again not a lot of pics. ANyone?

bbc5
2002.10.31, 11:03 AM
hmm, i was thinking of doing the same, but haven't had the time.
might get lazy and try out some 1/24 scale slot car bodies...

zghostdog: did you get your mid yet? ;)

donut: does the spy work well in your m-24?

ZGhostDogR8Dr
2002.10.31, 11:24 AM
bbc5 - Its definately not out of the question but no, not yet. I really like to do custom bodys and that is one of the factors as to why the Kawada Mid is attractive to me.

So I still check up on the Kawada crowd.

Truth is , lately I have been putting my RC funds into my mini-z's and MRS4. I have three mini-z's I am trying to hop up to race form and I am always wanting something new for my micro.

bbc5 - I may be wrong but you recently purchased a Kawada (relatively)

what is your feedback thus far?

bbc5
2002.10.31, 03:11 PM
feedback on the kawada?
haha, you can ask your lil' bro ;)
but in summary,
i think the mid has alot of potential.
out of the box, i'd say it's main outstanding factor is handling.
it definitely outhandles the mini-z.
in terms of speed, right now what i have is a stock mid
with the following mods:

- kawada ball tie rod set
- hs-55 servo
- es-01 esc with 2x2 stack of irfs
- shredder receiver
- full bb set
- kawada ball diff
- spring antenna
- custom rear suspension plate
(as the m-24 has a mid mount motor setup, there's not
as much travel space for the rear suspension, hence,
i lengthened the suspension plate to put a little space
between the motor and the chassis, i then shortened the
chassis to fit the body and lengthened the rear damper
suspension)
- tamiya atomic tuned armature in custom drilled bb can with N30 neo magnets
- 13tooth pinion
- 6cell setup (added a radio shack AAA battery holder)

as it is now, it has loads of torque with the 13tooth,
more torque than my mini-z with bb can and drac magnets and 12tooth pinion.
i'm thinking if i can somehow fit a bigger pinion on this thing
and add my spare set of drac magnets (N40) it should blow
past my mini-z.
currently though, it runs just a bit faster than my mini-z which
has a lower wind armature.

if you are looking to use custom bodies,
and you use a body with a wide track,
IMO this thing will never flip and outhandle
any miniz on the track...
i'm wondering about donut's use of the novak spy esc,
that should make a big diff as well i'm thinking...
basically, i think if you are willing to invest the time,
the kawada is great...
and if you have spare mini-z parts...even better than great ;)

ZGhostDogR8Dr
2002.10.31, 03:55 PM
bbc5 - great insight man... I have a lot to consider now.
I am getting the sense that the common theme is that it boils down to what kind of time ,money and energy that you want to commit to something ie. R/C make and brand options.
With the right focus a Kawada mid can blow mini-z doors, or not.
Got it.
Hmmm... :( :)

all right bbc5... thanks again.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.10.31, 05:23 PM
Basically, what BBC5 is trying to say is that Kawada Mid24's??? CORRECT! lol. They ROCK!

Coming Soon: Wheelie popping, 35 - 40 mph Kawada

Donut
2002.10.31, 10:17 PM
donut: does the spy work well in your m-24?
No problems so far. Feels much better than my modified ES-01 though I have yet to try it out at the track.

Go to http://www.teamnovak.com/products/2002_newproducts.htm and check out the SPY MODIFIED MICRO MOTOR and SPY LITHIUM-ION MICRO BATTERY. I figure you could put the battery in the radio compartment and put your receiver and ESC in the battery holders. Think about it, 7.8V, 1100mAH, and a modified Micro motor :)

mini-z
2002.11.01, 01:14 AM
Wow, great idea Donut!!!

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.11.01, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Donut
No problems so far. Feels much better than my modified ES-01 though I have yet to try it out at the track.

Go to http://www.teamnovak.com/products/2002_newproducts.htm and check out the SPY MODIFIED MICRO MOTOR and SPY LITHIUM-ION MICRO BATTERY. I figure you could put the battery in the radio compartment and put your receiver and ESC in the battery holders. Think about it, 7.8V, 1100mAH, and a modified Micro motor :)

FAST!

mini-z
2002.11.01, 12:11 PM
Actually I asked Novak about the new motor at the Chicago show, it's only a slight upgrade on stock. Check out pics at http://yourmicro.com/gallery :)

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.11.01, 01:06 PM
Attn: Kawada Owners

I am auctioning one of my Brand New Shredder Hitec 27 mhz receiver. It is under nomotorlimit You may use your Perfex Mini Z radio with it. These are hard to find now, and I only have one to sell. So, it's yours if you want it. This fits between the batteries on the chassis.

Billiam_Returns
2002.11.01, 08:03 PM
Has someone tried it with the Team Orion Flash ESC? That thing is TINY! What does the Novak Spy have that the Flash doesn't?

urq435
2002.11.02, 01:29 AM
style and size perhaps. :D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.12.27, 11:17 AM
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=44651#post44651