PDA

View Full Version : Retiring My Xspeed... Where to next ??

Kid_CojoneZ
2002.11.03, 10:56 AM
I didn't think i would be writing this so soon , but i think it's time to put my xspeed to bed (permanently). So I have a few options open to me. I know I could just fit a turbo or do a fet upgrade, but I don't like turbos, and don't trust FET upgrades either...

1. Is there anything i can salvage from this motor, or my (also knackered) stock motor that could go towards building a better custom motor (can/arm/coil, etc.)?

2. I have just ordered a PN so1 motor to replace it, and a set of Neo's from Drac. Can I put these Neo mag's from Drac's into either the xspeed, or the SO1, (or the stock??)or are there problems?

3. Would it be easier to replace what's worn in the x-speed?

I don't know what to think any more, I think I'll move way from the computer before I Buy anything else.....

Cheers,
Cian

baseline
2002.11.03, 11:53 AM
s01 is a turbo only motor

i think there's no problem putting neo magnets in any of those motors

why don't yoy trust fets?

herman
2002.11.03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Kid_CojoneZ
1. Is there anything i can salvage from this motor, or my (also knackered) stock motor that could go towards building a better custom motor (can/arm/coil, etc.)?

2. I have just ordered a PN so1 motor to replace it, and a set of Neo's from Drac. Can I put these Neo mag's from Drac's into either the xspeed, or the SO1, (or the stock??)or are there problems?

3. Would it be easier to replace what's worn in the x-speed?

hmm.. since you mentioned that you don't like turbo's (internal and external)... the pn so1 is out of the question...

my suggestion would be...

1. open your x-speed and clean it (with electric motor spray - available at your hobby shop)... inspect the brushes and change it... this would definitely improve the performance...

2. open your x-speed and get the armature and put it in a squat motor can (i think the shop sells them)... the squat can has ball bearings which provide more rpm's compared to the x-speed can which uses bushings... you can use the old brush if it looks ok, otherwise get new brushes...

hope this helps

mini-z
2002.11.03, 02:49 PM
My suggestion would be our Z-130-A-BB - it's the most power you're going to get without a turbo!

jeffrey
2002.11.03, 05:07 PM
i also suggest the A motor!

herman
2002.11.03, 10:48 PM
My suggestion would be our Z-130-A-BB - it's the most power you're going to get without a turbo! - by mini-z

well i must admit... i did try mzr.com motors... and yep they are pretty fast... the magnets must be really powerfull... as when you let go of the throttle, they have a braking effect due to the magnets...

some like it, some don't... fortunately i'm one of the guys who like it... especially when your going really quick and enter a hairpin... hehehe... off throttle, turn, on throttle out of the apex...

baseline
2002.11.04, 12:29 AM
that's an interesting idea for a braking system....

Kid_CojoneZ
2002.11.04, 02:35 PM
Oh dear, I'm after ordering a PN SO1 motor... I thought it ran either with or without...
Guess it's back to the drawing boards...

Herman, unfortunately there isn't a hobby shop within 100 miles of where i live, so sourcing the spray might be a problem. I suppose a DIY shop would carry it??

I think I'll just order the MZR 'A' motor, seems to be what I want. What about the squat can, neo magnets, and my x-speed arm, with new brushes, if needed?

b-line, I just don't like the idea of someone tinkering with my ESC. It's a precision machine built piece of hardware, and i'd hate to have to replace it. I get nervous swapping chassis!
I have a tlp twin turbo , and fitting it means having a mess of wires all over the place, which i'd rather not have. I've fitted it a few times, but I would sooner go without and try something else.

Thanks a million for your advice,
Cian.

Tango
2002.11.04, 02:41 PM
hm...Cian...
u got a 3000cc V6 twin turbo....
but your chassis can't stand for it if no upgrade.
be frank, install the turbo to enjoy speeding on tracks with S01 with neo magnet.
Or, use Atmoic tuned and change the brushes can serve you better then using Xspeed.

Note:
S01->38 turn motor
Atomic tuned->44 turn motor
Xspeed->50 turn motor

Fewer turn, more speed but lower in torque.

Kid_CojoneZ
2002.11.04, 03:12 PM
Hiya Tango!
I see you are a fan of turbos! I know there are many out there like yourself thinking 'Fit the damn turbo!' ;)
I'm not building a flat-out, 50' in under 2 sec screamer. I'm trying to see how far can i go without having chips and wires all over the place when i take off the shell.It seems a bit messy, and although I know a FET upgrade is a great way to avoid this, as i explained I am wary of those as well....

P.S. 3.0 V6 twinturbo?? which are you referring to?

mryung
2002.11.05, 02:31 AM
I sure Tango is not a Turbo fans because he has been using internal FET upgrade for a long period of time. hehehe.:D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2002.11.05, 03:51 AM
Hiya Tango!
I see you are a fan of turbos! I know there are many out there like yourself thinking 'Fit the damn turbo!' ;)
I'm not building a flat-out, 50' in under 2 sec screamer. I'm trying to see how far can i go without having chips and wires all over the place when i take off the shell.It seems a bit messy, and although I know a FET upgrade is a great way to avoid this, as i explained I am wary of those as well....

P.S. 3.0 V6 twinturbo?? which are you referring to?

KCZ

This is my honest truth opinion. I don't know how many turbo services there are, but I had the opportunity to meet mr. E this past weekend, and i can only say that the quality of his turbo upgrade service is EXCELLENT! The fets are not crooked, nicely and neatly done. It's as if it was factory installed.

I did it myself, but the fets were all crooked. Partly because I was in a hurry (not enough time to set-up). I'm a neat freak when it comes to my electronics, and all I can say is Mr. E's work is absolutely beyond excellent.

I did a 7x2 fet upgrade and I can only tell you this: It's the next best thing to turbo 3 , if not better.

I remain loyal to the turbo 3 because this is what I use for my seriously (non-production) fast motors. But you can achieve the same thing when you do an 8 to 10 fet upgrade.

jeffrey
2002.11.05, 05:00 AM
8 stacks or FET's?

herman
2002.11.05, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by baseline
that's an interesting idea for a braking system....

well... i guess i can say it was a pleasant surprize... anybody else experience the same thing with thier mzr.com motors?

herman
2002.11.05, 06:14 AM
Oh dear, I'm after ordering a PN SO1 motor... I thought it ran either with or without...
Guess it's back to the drawing boards...

Herman, unfortunately there isn't a hobby shop within 100 miles of where i live, so sourcing the spray might be a problem. I suppose a DIY shop would carry it??

I think I'll just order the MZR 'A' motor, seems to be what I want. What about the squat can, neo magnets, and my x-speed arm, with new brushes, if needed?

b-line, I just don't like the idea of someone tinkering with my ESC. It's a precision machine built piece of hardware, and i'd hate to have to replace it. I get nervous swapping chassis!
I have a tlp twin turbo , and fitting it means having a mess of wires all over the place, which i'd rather not have. I've fitted it a few times, but I would sooner go without and try something else.

Thanks a million for your advice,
Cian.

you mentioned that you have a tlp turbo... i think (but not sure) that the tlp can handle the s01, so you're ok there...

i'm not sure if diy stores carry motor cleaning spray (i use motor prep spray)

the squat can includes magnets, all you have to do is to put in an armature (from your x-speed) and get them extra brushes... and i almost forgot, the capacitors...

as for the electonics... don't sweat it... if you give it to someone who has done his own internal turbo thing i'd say go for it... at least he knows what he's doing... or if you have good soldering skills you can try it out yourself...

goodluck

Kid_CojoneZ
2002.11.05, 08:46 AM
Hi Herman, I've been in touch with the boss, and i'm switching to the MRZ 'A' motor.... The TLP is being donated to my brother, who is not so turbophobic...:D

wrcracer
2002.11.10, 07:47 PM
Hi Herman, I've been in touch with the boss, and i'm switching to the MRZ 'A' motor.... The TLP is being donated to my brother, who is not so turbophobic...:D

why the turbophobia? a little mess here and there can be a good thing:p