PDA

View Full Version : Modular Tracks???

gputo
2002.11.11, 05:16 PM
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed. I have searched for it in the forums and could not find it.

I was wondering if anyone had seen/created a modular track? (One that could be taken apart into sections for storage)

Any ideas, links, or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gargoyle7642
2002.11.12, 11:37 PM
Yes. I started making one. I had to stop due to moving. Place I'm moving to has room in basement for my track. So, by January I should have it up and running. I posted pics of my track. Maybe try searching by my name.

gputo
2002.11.13, 04:04 PM
Thanks Gargoyle,

That track is sweet. The seams don't affect the cars?

I was thinking of using smaller boards, like 2'X2', and painting them using the "rubber roofing paint" I keep hearing about. Just don't know what to use for a "modular" border.

Well,
Thanks for your input,
Gputo

Draconious
2002.11.13, 04:15 PM
Would any one buy plans if I made some?
How about templates for drawing the area to cut out?
Maybe Router templates (expensive), for the actual cutting?
Maybe the completed track!? ;)
the down side to my design is its size.. its BIG, outdoor type of size.. or indoor in a warehouse/shop type of size.

Examples are the larger tracks on bottom of this page, in bluish color... over 40' across is the smaller one ;)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/draconious/Mini-Z/_TrackConcepts.html -- click to enlarge them....

ScottMcLeod
2002.11.13, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by gputo
Thanks Gargoyle,

That track is sweet. The seams don't affect the cars?

I was thinking of using smaller boards, like 2'X2', and painting them using the "rubber roofing paint" I keep hearing about. Just don't know what to use for a "modular" border.

Well,
Thanks for your input,
Gputo

LoL... weird to hear this. I had the exact same idea, and I've actually got a bunch of the peices finished and assembled.

Had to stop due to time contstraints, and I never quite figgured out how to work with the seams.

revgregg
2002.11.14, 11:22 AM
My son , a buddy , & I are just getting started racing and have been building a modular track. It's not finished yet. 1/2 in OSB board with biscuit slots cut in the ends to make the ends level when joined. Sorry the pic is so bad.

nicolas
2002.11.14, 02:32 PM
I have a modular track .
The pieces are 120cm x 120cm big , they're made of painted multiplex.
SORRY, but no pics yet.:(
Works great, but was very expensive to make.:rolleyes:

ScottMcLeod
2002.11.14, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by revgregg
My son , a buddy , & I are just getting started racing and have been building a modular track. It's not finished yet. 1/2 in OSB board with biscuit slots cut in the ends to make the ends level when joined. Sorry the pic is so bad.

Can you provide more details? Costs, materials, etc?

revgregg
2002.11.15, 09:20 AM
Scott,

The pieces are 16" wide (we would use 24" wide if we did it again, it gets crowded with 3 or 4 cars!) made from 1/2 " oriented strand board with slots for biscuits cut into the ends. The straight pieces are 1,2,3, & 4 ft long with a couple 16 " pieces and 1 4" piece but should have all been done in 16" increments (actually you need to do the straight pieces in lengths that are even multiples of the width). The curves are 48",32", & 16" outside radius and some 90 deg were cyt in half to make 45 deg curves. The guardrail is flat screen molding glued to 1/4' dowels. I'm not sure what type the paint is, my buddy actually did most of the construction. The cost so far is probably @ $75 - $100 for the track. We're currently constructing a timing bridge and that will probably run another $40-$50. It's a nice track but it was a lot of work! (it only takes a couple minutes of racing to erase the memory of hours of work tho!)
We'll post more pics later.
Gregg

Shrubba
2002.11.20, 03:10 PM
revgregg, that is a very nice set up!
If some one made nice modular track pieces I would buy!
If you could choose from different straight away lengths, corner sizes (diameter and angle) that would be awesome! You could have people design their track using an online program, and then they would know exactly what parts they needed!
Basicly like a slot car track... build it piece by piece :)
I really really like the idea.

Shrubba

TheBoostInside
2002.11.27, 09:22 AM
Yea if I were to buy modular track pieces though they'd have to be slightly larger than 16". That is tight driving space! If some 1 made 24" modular track pieces I would consider buying them instead of making my own track due to the lack of space I have. :( but if i had a modular track i could set it up anywhere anytime.:D

mini-z
2002.11.29, 06:25 PM
revgregg, where in MI are you located? :)

revgregg
2002.11.30, 12:09 PM
Near Willis (8 miles south of Ypsilanti).

mini-z
2002.11.30, 05:58 PM
We're right by you, in Ann Arbor! Let us know when the track's ready! ;) :D