PDA

View Full Version : LapZ lap counter?

gRC
2002.12.04, 10:36 AM
Has anyone here used the LapZ lap counter?

http://www.lapz.com/

According to the specs, it uses infra-red light and is very accurate.

Dutch Mini Racer
2002.12.23, 06:17 AM
Would it fit in a mini-z f1?? it would be "THE" solution for lap counting :D

Sm0lders
2002.12.23, 06:32 AM
I think it can fit under the hood of a F1

DavidDeLaurier
2003.01.01, 08:58 PM
lapdraggon looks like the better choice because there is no need for a PC hook-up

go to http://www.metrocast.net/~bchampig/ for more information on this GREAT product!

wcrotty
2003.01.01, 10:06 PM
You can't run races with the Lap Dragon.
It looks ok for practice.

The LapZ looks like a great system.

Infact i would like to build a system like that
in the future. My product now works for mini zs
and micros. The new product like LapZ would
be for 10th scale also. I just have to get off my
butt and design it.

latency
2003.01.02, 12:01 AM
Hey guys, I have for about a month been building my own timer, and have been emailing the guys at Lapz. In a heart beat, this is the system to have. The ir transponders are easily programmable from id 0-255. The problem is they do not know pricing yet, and it is not available.

So I built my own using phototransistors, laser pointers, and flags on my antennas. Works like a champ, and I run Virtual Race System timing software.

You can see how I built mine here...

http://www.latencyproject.com/miniz/timer/timer.html

Btw, the lapdragon will not work for racing. You could have a friend/wife/who ever time you with a stop watch, same basic concept.

The system I chose was all built using parts from Radio shack, and it has audibles for fastest lap, race winner, race count down starter...etc. Not the best, but works for a home track.

kyle458
2003.01.02, 11:08 AM
www.minizlapcounter.com

latency
2003.01.02, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kyle458
www.minizlapcounter.com

Same concept as mine, but I only spent $45 total. :)

wcrotty
2003.01.02, 03:26 PM
Yep yours is the same concept but will not work if you have a printer attached and will not work with many lap counting software systems out there.
Now if you wanted lists of your lap times printed out and to run races with a bunch of friends it would be hard.

latency
2003.01.02, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by wcrotty
Yep yours is the same concept but will not work if you have a printer attached and will not work with many lap counting software systems out there.
Now if you wanted lists of your lap times printed out and to run races with a bunch of friends it would be hard.

You make a good point, because I am using my parallel port, I can not print to a local printer, so we use my network attached printer. :D It is a work around, but is ok for home. I am not a huge fan of the flag systems...I would really prefer the transponder based...we find flags get in the way when changing batteries etc.

Just our experiences.

I like the system you have devised, but I was not willing to spend that much money on something I could also do. Not knocking your system, just letting folks know they can build their own if they like. I invested a large amount of time, for less money....others may choose to spend some more money for less time...

Lapdragon
2003.01.02, 10:06 PM
To say that you can't run races with the Lapdragon system is somewhat innacurate. It all depends on how you run these races. As long as there is a way to compare lap data, you can hold a race. Since each car has it's own lapdragon counter, each car will have lap data stored. There is no limit to the number of cars that can run simultaneously with Lapdragon counters. I just wanted to clarify, that even though the Lapdragon was designed more as a personal practice/tuning device, it can still be used for informal racing.

Also, new for 2003, the Lapdragon counts up to 99 laps, and calculates average speed based on track length.

regards,
BC