PDA

View Full Version : Help with servo

Vagabond
2003.01.10, 03:42 PM
Hi guys, i just want to ask you guys something. I'm having some problem with my servo. When i turn the steering either to left of right, when i release the steering, the wheels don't return to the center but quite close to it. If i turn left and release, the wheels center will be more to the left and vice versa.

Can somebody please tell me what's wrong? and what's the solution?

Thanks

wrcracer
2003.01.10, 04:41 PM
my guess would be play in the steering linkage. theres some slack between the tie rod and knuckles, and i bet its just a little bit excessive on yours. im not sure how long youve had your Z, but after a while, those little loops on the knuckles stretch, and it got to be a problem on my Zs. try an alloy tie rod and alloy knuckles, its only a couple of bucks, and even if it doesnt solve your problem, your Z will be stronger and better looking.

Vagabond
2003.01.10, 04:45 PM
thanks wrcacer. i'm using an alloy tie rod now but the knuckles are plastic. Do you think that setting is causing the problem?

wrcracer
2003.01.10, 04:48 PM
possibly. im usin an alloy tie rod on plastic knuckles as well, and ive already broken a few knuckles, so you might have stretched the knuckles. look at that little loop i was talking about and see if its warped. hope that helps

Vagabond
2003.01.10, 04:52 PM
thanks again.
i'll check to see if that's the problem.
if it's not, what else can it be?

wrcracer
2003.01.10, 05:06 PM
does it do it even if the wheels are off the ground?

Vagabond
2003.01.10, 05:08 PM
yes.. that's why i notice something is wrong.
Do you know what's wrong?

wrcracer
2003.01.10, 05:38 PM
well, if it did it only when the car was on the ground, then i was gonna suggest a weak servo motor, cause the friction b/n the tires and track/road would make it difficult for it to turn, but since thats not the case, then my only guess would be slack between the tie rod and knuckles

Vagabond
2003.01.10, 05:42 PM
Thanks.
I hope that this is the problem. I'm just hoping that the servo/car is working fine.

baseline
2003.01.10, 06:08 PM
somebody asked me to fix this problem before.
turns out they did the paper trick too tightly and the pot was too tight against the gears. did you do the paper trick?

Vagabond
2003.01.11, 11:14 AM
I didn't use the paper trick but instead i stick the motor to the servo box with a double sided tape. Is this causing the problem?
So should i keep the motor stick to the servo box or not?

baseline
2003.01.11, 01:23 PM
i'm not sure if that's the problem, but maybe the gear mesh is too tight for the motor to turn it. just try it without the tape.

Vagabond
2003.01.11, 01:33 PM
sure thing my friend. I'll try it when i reach home.
If that didn't stop the problem, what else might be wrong?

ChaserRC
2003.01.12, 01:30 AM
how old is your car? it maybe due to the VR inside servo box. you know, the VR has its life time also as well..

also, did you use another controller (better brand new one) to test with it? sometimes controller is also factor of the problem..

Vagabond
2003.01.12, 05:42 PM
I've just pinpoint the problem. Well it seems that the alloy tie rod that i'm using right now is a bit loose in the servo box. If you don't understand me, the alloy tie rod is about 1/2 mm thinner than the stock plastic one. So the steering couldn't go back to center when you release the wheel on the transmitter. I'm not sure that changing to a new transmitter will solve the problem. But i manage to find another alloy tie rod which have a better fit in the servo box.

And another problem is that the wire on the VR is a bit loose. I resolder the wire and it works fine now. Just have to try it out on the track tomorrow. But so far, it looks fine and seem to have solved the servo problem.

le-manz
2003.01.12, 06:42 PM
I hate this famous servo jitter, but on the other hand it's kinda the soul of the mini-z. There are about a zillion ways to cure it, some better than others, but you never get rid of it. So you end up loving and hating it at the same time....just qa thought;)

wrcracer
2003.01.12, 06:45 PM
cool. glad to hear you solved it

Vagabond
2003.01.13, 05:54 AM
Well, it's just like all the other parts and settings for MZ. There are just too many ways to deal with the problem