PDA

View Full Version : motor rebuild ?

morati
2003.03.20, 09:27 PM
Just wondering how many hours of use I can get out of my NML motor before I have to take it apart for maintenance? It has been run under pretty much ideal conditions (very clean floors). Thanks in advance.

dohc
2003.03.21, 10:35 PM
like what NML says, you shouldnt take apart his motors. voids warranty :D

deathsp33d
2003.04.03, 03:25 PM
soon or later the carbon brushes will wear out and you will HAVE to open it ,..right??

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.04.03, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by deathsp33d
soon or later the carbon brushes will wear out and you will HAVE to open it ,..right??

You can open it, but don't expect the performance to be the same, if you don't know what you're doing. Also, my motors I designed to be rebuilt, as soon as brushes are worn out. I cut the comm with my customized lathe, clean the insides, replace brushes and capacitors with new ones. All this for $11.00.

deathsp33d
2003.04.03, 08:44 PM
sounds decent. what do u mean by cut the comm?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.04.03, 10:18 PM
Cut the comm means to resurface it with a lathe with a diamond bit. This means longer motor life.

hilljd
2003.04.10, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by NOMOTORLIMIT
Cut the comm means to resurface it with a lathe with a diamond bit. This means longer motor life.
This is I think the best one to get...
http://www.hudy.net/products/lathes/101400index.htm
the # 10 1406-v is the one ...
here is another...
http://www.teamcobra.com/cobra/slot.htm
The Cobras do just as good job as the Hudys when new,but the Cobras get loose and "funky"after about a year of regular use.

BobT
2003.04.11, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by hilljd
This is I think the best one to get...
http://www.hudy.net/products/lathes/101400index.htm
the # 10 1406-v is the one ...
here is another...
http://www.teamcobra.com/cobra/slot.htm
The Cobras do just as good job as the Hudys when new,but the Cobras get loose and "funky"after about a year of regular use.

An alen wrench can be used to tighten the Cobra lathe up when it gets loose. Mine works fine after cutting an average of 5 motors a week for 7 years. Thats 1820 comms trued if your counting.
Diamond bits are nice but expensive. I have used $1.50 (USD) carbide bits and replace them when dull. Cheaper than an $80 diamond bit.

Where can you find brushes for the Mini-Z motors?

hilljd
2003.04.11, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BobT
An alen wrench can be used to tighten the Cobra lathe up when it gets loose.
Diamond bits are nice but expensive. I have used $1.50 (USD) carbide bits and replace them when dull. Cheaper than an $80 diamond bit.

You can tighten the gibs as you said,but the leadscrews wear fast because they are made from all-thread.
The Twister Mini-lathe was the original lathe I designed everyone else copied.
It and the Hudy have custom hardened and ground leadscrews.
I have been using the Twister Prototypes since the '80s,and they are as tight as when they were made.

Carbide vs Diamond
Carbide works fine if you sharpem them after each comm.
The proper sharpening machines cost several hundred dollars,so for Hobby work,a Diamond tool is the way to go.
I have been using the same tool bit since about '85.
The slotcar lathe has seen weekly use for about 15 years,the retired R/C lathe saw weekend use for about 8 years.
Both saw everyday use in an armature balancing buisness for about 3 years.

Josheus
2003.04.12, 08:39 AM
whoops!

BobT
2003.04.15, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by hilljd
You can tighten the gibs as you said,but the leadscrews wear fast because they are made from all-thread.
The Twister Mini-lathe was the original lathe I designed everyone else copied.
It and the Hudy have custom hardened and ground leadscrews.
I have been using the Twister Prototypes since the '80s,and they are as tight as when they were made.

Carbide vs Diamond
Carbide works fine if you sharpem them after each comm.
The proper sharpening machines cost several hundred dollars,so for Hobby work,a Diamond tool is the way to go.
I have been using the same tool bit since about '85.
The slotcar lathe has seen weekly use for about 15 years,the retired R/C lathe saw weekend use for about 8 years.
Both saw everyday use in an armature balancing buisness for about 3 years.

So what you are saying is that the lathe I am using quite successfully wore out 6 years ago. Is that correct? ..... Because it seems to be working just fine.