PDA

View Full Version : new to Overlands, clarification please.

cardesigner
2003.05.24, 05:51 AM
As my subject implies, I'm coming over to the mini world from 1/8 nitro monster trucks. Not switching over, but I can't run the beasts every day so I need some indoor offroad action, and something to chase my girlfriend's cat with.

That said, I haven't taken delivery of my Overland yet, but I can see myself tearing it apart soon. I hear of "FET stacking", among other unfamiliar lingo. What exactly is going on when you add FETs? Any info would be great!

If there is a particular mod you recommend to the first time Overland owner, that would be great. I don't need it to go rocket speed, I have nitro cars for that. I'd like a lot of torque for indoor trials courses though, so your recommendations are welcome. I don't want to turn it into a monster truck, make it pop wheelies, lower it or turn it into an aluminum money pit (made that mistake on my micro RS4!) I'm interested in light weight, scale and realism. I'll definitely be hooking up LED's for night trials! Thanks, and I'm glad to have another forum to cruise in!

notarex
2003.05.24, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forum! Do a search for fet stacking, there are tons of past posts that can explain better than I can, but since you seem to share the same goals as me w/ your overland, fet stacks are unnecessary unless you are subjecting the OL to extreme abuse (i.e. monster tires, hot motor). You'll definitely want to pick up a bearing set and the GPM idler gear, these are necessities for a long lasting and smooth running OL. Then think about an x-speed or one of mini-z's comparable non-turbo motors. LED's are fun and one of my favorite mods. Good luck!

cardesigner
2003.05.24, 01:43 PM
Thanks notarex, will do. Can't wait!

Natedog
2006.10.21, 04:19 PM
...but since you seem to share the same goals as me w/ your overland, fet stacks are unnecessary unless you are subjecting the OL to extreme abuse (i.e. monster tires, hot motor). You'll definitely want to pick up a bearing set and the GPM idler gear, these are necessities for a long lasting and smooth running OL. Then think about an x-speed or one of mini-z's comparable non-turbo motors...

GPM idler gear for the steering servo correct?

Draconious
2006.10.21, 06:09 PM
a thread from the dead ;) ... the idler gear is part of the drivetrain on the overlands and moster... it goes between the motor-pinion and the spur-differential gear... lowers the gearing a bit...

Natedog
2006.10.21, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I try to search first... :D Oh I see, part number MV10...doesn't GPM make an idler gear for the steering servo assy too? If they do is it a good upgrade too?

Draconious
2006.10.21, 09:13 PM
there are alloy gears for the servo's in the Mini-Zs as well... all the Z's except the orginal MR01, have servo savers now, so they are not really that nessessary... unless you really expect to be hard on the servo... they use to be 10$-40$ a gear at one time (there are 3 gears in the servo), no clue what they go for now.