PDA

View Full Version : Can an overland handle a jump?

Viper racer
2003.05.24, 08:41 AM
I dont have one.....yet!
And im wondering becuase if I get it, I'd like to jump it without breaking it:confused:

nonrisca
2003.05.24, 08:45 AM
I been jumping mine all the time and nothing is broken.

Viper racer
2003.05.24, 08:47 AM
everytime i post i seem to want it more and more!!!

MitsuEvoVI
2003.05.24, 06:22 PM
Your not alone viper racer

ViperKid
2003.05.24, 07:52 PM
mines on backorder....i can't wait either:D :D

HO502cid
2003.05.24, 09:04 PM
Mine "jumped" down my stairs, a 20 foot fall and nothing broke. These are some strong little cars.

Viper racer
2003.05.24, 09:14 PM
wow I thought I was the only person who didnt have one:)

BitBasher
2003.05.24, 09:31 PM
No, you're not alone, i don't have one yet either, mine shipped Thursday from Hong Kong but I don't have it yet. :)

minizmaniac
2003.05.24, 09:32 PM
i dont have one yet:( i just need that thing that everyone needs....money:(

Viper racer
2003.05.24, 09:47 PM
yeah.....im only 14 so I kno what u mean......

i have to buy stuff from holiday and birthday money
(but my b-day is in august so im gettin there! {and if anyone wants to get me a gift feel free to})

arch2b
2003.05.24, 10:56 PM
my overlnad does a fair amount of jumping! mostly outdoors though...the body will take a beating, but scars are cool see me (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album54/IMG_0075.jpg) . you can barley make out my front tag anymore and there isn't a decal on the front end that isn't scrathed somewhere!

like all things plastic...some things will break. replacement parts are cheap, upgrade parts are better but of course, cosst more.

the important thing is to have fun with it! oh, and stay out of the servo pod...consider yourself warned...

HO502cid
2003.05.24, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by arch2b
my overlnad does a fair amount of jumping! mostly outdoors though...the body will take a beating, but scars are cool see me (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album54/IMG_0075.jpg) . you can barley make out my front tag anymore and there isn't a decal on the front end that isn't scrathed somewhere!

like all things plastic...some things will break. replacement parts are cheap, upgrade parts are better but of course, cosst more.

the important thing is to have fun with it! oh, and stay out of the servo pod...consider yourself warned...

Scars are cool! Just a little off-topic but how did you make that whip antenna and license plates? Your truck really looks great.

arch2b
2003.05.24, 11:11 PM

the tags are made on the computer (snagged image from virginia dmv and edited text), printed on photographic paper and applied ith very strong tape. hasn't come off yet, as you can see!

the whip antenna is made from music wire, will not break, atleast i've been unable to break one. ther are better picutes of the antenna in my album. i just bought some more music wire today...email me.

minizmaniac
2003.05.24, 11:55 PM
arch, why should i stay out of the servo box, is it really complicated or something, i usually like to take apart everything on a rainy day;)

ps i dont have my ol yet so it is not like i have taken one apart:)

arch2b
2003.05.25, 12:33 AM
maniac,
if you can find all the threads about the overland servo pod...you will get a better understanding. the short of it is, there are lots of small parts and it all has to stay in place during reassembly...not the easiest thing to do. i've pinched a couple of wires and just today..the green wire to the pot was pinched by the top servo cover and pulled it off the pot. i was furious(shaking fists at the gods)...i had just gotten my ol with a 2x2 fet stack and never got the servo parts in just right...caused steering problems. i've had the thing back for a few of days now and have yet to run it around outside...it will go forward and reverse, but no steering, hehe. now, i'm at my parents until moday with no ol manual and soldering iron...big bust. it has been fun to run my 2nd stock ol around...big difference in handling/speed. (i went to pearl today, so you might see some cool stuff on my new ol soon!!! also ordered more leds!!!)

overlandkevin
2003.05.25, 01:00 AM
My overland can handle a jump when it is runable. Everytime I start to fix something that is working incorrectly something else breaks to piss me off.:mad: Such as today when I was just trying to fix my overland steering problem (see post 12 t pinion) and when I just got it right guess what breaks. The part that the pillow ball screws into. By then I was like ok calm myself 5.........4.........3........2........1....... and I was ok so I busted out the epoxy and tried to fix it. It is drying as I speak so Ill probably try it out tommorow. Im tired of kyoshos weak ass plastic. It cant stand to have a screw in it.

Kevin

P.S. what do u think I should do about the servo case. Should I get a aluminum one or get a cool clear plastic one or just try again with a stock new one. But of course any of these ideas will take days to ship.

Thanks in advance

minizmaniac
2003.05.25, 01:27 AM
(i went to pearl today, so you might see some cool stuff on my new ol soon!!! also ordered more leds!!!)

cool i cant wait;)

overland kevin, although i dont have one yet, instinct says alloy because your right kyosho plastic is crap and i heard that the clear/colored is even more brittle than the stock plastic :)

overlandkevin
2003.05.25, 02:26 AM
i dont want to order anything for a long time for my overland since ive been ordering parts left and right. The epoxy method is working good right now. No breakage.

Also I have the tamiya monster tires and wheels on my overland right now. Im using a x-speed/neo mags/ squat ball bearing can for the motor. Im just afraid that the fets will burn out and I dont want that happening......

So what should I do....keep on running it........or put smaller tires back on?

Also Im really loving the monster tires and neo mags since it can climb over almost anything now.

Kevin

minizmaniac
2003.05.25, 02:39 AM
first start a new thread this has nothing to do with jumping;) and second if you feel confident about soldering your own fets on i would leave it and just get fets when yours burn out, if not i would take your monster tires off, and wait until you go on vacation/camp etc.. and send your overland to get a fet job then i would go for like 2x5 or so so you have the extra power if you need it.;)
sorry you have had such bad luck with your ol :( but i hope you can get it to a point that it is indestructable:D

HO502cid
2003.05.25, 03:18 AM
the green wire to the pot was pinched by the top servo cover and pulled it off the pot.

I did the exact same thing on mine!

overlandkevin
2003.05.25, 12:50 PM
Well my dad works on aircraft electronics where he does a lot of tiny soldering so he can solder it but how hard is it to solder up.

Also if I decided to send it to someone how expensive well it be.

Sorry about hijacking this thread guys:D

Kevin

arch2b
2003.05.25, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by HO502cid
I did the exact same thing on mine!

i don't know about you...but i was ready to set mine on fire! it takes alot to get me upset but my wife complains i'm always swearing when i'm in the spare room/my hobby room!;) . maybe it's a good thing i won't be abloe to fix it until mod/tue. give me some distance...right now all i have to do is look at it and my eyes turn red and obsenities start flying;) (it must be an odd thing to see me yelling at this little truck on a table like it just cut me off on the highway)

HO502cid
2003.05.25, 07:28 PM
i don't know about you...but i was ready to set mine on fire! it takes alot to get me upset but my wife complains i'm always swearing when i'm in the spare room/my hobby room!;) . maybe it's a good thing i won't be abloe to fix it until mod/tue. give me some distance...right now all i have to do is look at it and my eyes turn red and obsenities start flying;) (it must be an odd thing to see me yelling at this little truck on a table like it just cut me off on the highway)

I was pissed as heck! I saw that little wire fall off and I was almost ready to throw my truck across the room. I fixed it today though, soldering the wire back on took two minutes but reassembling the front servo took damn near a half hour! It now turns the wheels back and forth with almost no sound and I will NEVER take it back apart unless something breaks.

I know I already asked about your whip antenna but would it possible for you to take a "body off" shot for me? Is the antenna functional or just for looks?

arch2b
2003.05.25, 09:56 PM
hehe, i'm glad i'm not the only one;) . i will likely have mine fixed tuesday night.

about the antenna, yes it is functional! i wouldn't have it any other way!
top off #1 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album58/mz101.jpg)
top off #2 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album58/mz102.jpg)
top off #3 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album57/mz198.jpg)
top off #4 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album57/mz201.jpg) . these are all in my album.

it has since been coated with plastidip intead of heat shrink tubing. i just bought some more music wire sat....if you don't have the materials/tools or whatever to make one, email me. i'll be making more anyway (one for my new silver lc).

BitBasher
2003.05.25, 10:10 PM
You guys are making me cringe at the thought of voluntarily removing my front servo case to slap in the alloy one I ordered... you evil people!

HO502cid
2003.05.25, 10:16 PM
hehe, i'm glad i'm not the only one;) . i will likely have mine fixed tuesday night.

about the antenna, yes it is functional! i wouldn't have it any other way!
top off #1 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album58/mz101.jpg)
top off #2 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album58/mz102.jpg)
top off #3 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album57/mz198.jpg)
top off #4 (http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album57/mz201.jpg) . these are all in my album.

it has since been coated with plastidip intead of heat shrink tubing. i just bought some more music wire sat....if you don't have the materials/tools or whatever to make one, email me. i'll be making more anyway (one for my new silver lc).

Wow, your album was more extensive then I first assumed! What size music wire are you using? I have some 1mm wire that I used on my Micro RS4, is that too big?

I also just found some brass stock so I am going to try my hand at a roof rack.:)

Originally posted by BitBasher
You guys are making me cringe at the thought of voluntarily removing my front servo case to slap in the alloy one I ordered... you evil people!

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

arch2b
2003.05.25, 11:56 PM
thanks, i've put alot of time into sharing alot of information (custom work, etc.).

i don't recall what size i used for the rally lc. i tried .32 or is it .032?!? and it was a tad to thick. works well but not a flexable as my orginal. i bought .025 and .020 sat.

HO502cid
2003.05.26, 12:25 AM
thanks, i've put alot of time into sharing alot of information (custom work, etc.).

i don't recall what size i used for the rally lc. i tried .32 or is it .032?!? and it was a tad to thick. works well but not a flexable as my orginal. i bought .025 and .020 sat.

Mine will be way too thick then...

Guess I get to do some calling around for someone that has music wire in stock. I think I need to get some thicker brass stock as well, the stuff I have now will not make a sturdy roof rack.

BLiND
2003.05.26, 03:18 AM
I need to make one of those antenna's soon...

a guitar shop carries music wire right? there's one of those on every 3rd street corner in ventura county...I think I'm the only person at my college who isn't in a band...bleh

arch2b
2003.05.26, 10:49 AM
you'de be surprised at how sturdy the roof racks are, when built right. my original one is made from .045 or .050 music wire! and has yet to brake. i switcched to brass stock for a couple reasons...1) it looks more scale...2) when done nicely, is much stronger. a good tip is to use the solder liberally yet cleanely. you can always file down any lumps:) also, be liberal with the solder when attaching the screws...(the most important connection). which, surprisingly are the most expensive elements. sixe 80 or 90 x 1/2" hex head (what i use) screw/nut/washer will run almost $6! odd how the tiniest part is the most expensive ;)

BLiND
2003.05.26, 01:51 PM
speaking of off-topic...

I just found this link again, Arch I think you'll like this...

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licensemaker.cgi?state=California&text=blind&plate=1998&r=219003601

Just using my new tag as an example :)

arch2b
2003.05.26, 05:08 PM
blind, i've used that site before;) . they don't have all the plates each state offers...va has probably 50 to choose from. i wanted the newly released "fight terrorism" tag. i had to get it from the va dmz though...