PDA

View Full Version : What Hop Ups to get First, SERIOSULY

WhiteyP
2003.05.25, 02:45 AM
I seriosuly just want to know the best hop ups to get first. I like to go fast, do a lot of jumping, and don't like when things break. I jump off binders and go on carpet a lot...soft pile a lot too. I NEVER go outside. Im indoors only. I rarely lock the rear diff.

So please, what are the best parts to buy first? Any help would be glady appreciated.

Peace

BLiND
2003.05.25, 03:35 AM
bearings, alloy knuckles, and a faster motor.

I would also get better tires, the stock ones look lame after you've seen the GPM mud tires or the kyosho MT tires in comparison. I prefer the look of the GPM mud tires (look for part #896 - they have them in the shop here)

I personally haven't broken anything on my overland, and if you've ever seen pics of it on this forum, its been through a lot.

WhiteyP
2003.05.25, 03:59 AM
I see the Kyosho MT's. Are those really necessary for all sorts of carpet and hard wood floors? If so, what exact GPM ones should i get since i only see 2 piece ones. I can't find the exact 1 :/.

What company bearings would also help. Please clarify a little bit of some stuff. Thanks

BLiND
2003.05.25, 04:04 AM
not necessary, but the stock tires look lame, the MT tires look like mud tires (as the name suggests) with larger knobbies and overall much better traction.

there's a few brands of bearings you can get, I used RCRM, but Topcad makes a set also. Just make sure to get a 9 peice bearing set, as the 7 peice sets are for the normal mini-z racers, not the overlands.

If you click on tires at the top right of this page, you will see the GPM mud terrain tires, get 2 sets of them. The degree number is how soft / sticky / how much traction the tires offer, I would suggest getting a pair of each so you can tune the car how you like. I have a set of full 30G GPM mud tires on my overland and it will traction roll at high speed, but that is easily fixed by putting a harder tire up front.

minizmaniac
2003.05.25, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by BLiND

there's a few brands of bearings you can get, I used RCRM, but Topcad makes a set also. Just make sure to get a 9 peice bearing set, as the 7 peice sets are for the normal mini-z racers, not the overlands.

this is true but i heard that mini-z said that you can buy the racer bearings and use them in the ol and when they get the other bearings for the gear case they will send you the two small ones for the difference in price, and these bearings at this site are the best.

if you dont want any chance on breaking anything get all alloy everything, very expensive but indestructable;)

BLiND
2003.05.25, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by minizmaniac
this is true but i heard that mini-z said that you can buy the racer bearings and use them in the ol and when they get the other bearings for the gear case they will send you the two small ones for the difference in price, and these bearings at this site are the best.

thats just silly...when I buy a bearing set I want the whole set, not to have to wait. I read the post where he said they were sourcing the bearings/making them, and that was back around new years...

BitBasher
2003.05.25, 03:04 PM
The Catch-22 here BliND is that I couldn't find a single 9 bearing set other than the TopCad, which several people on these forums have said fail after a week or two. That's why I went for the 7 bearing set and will wait for the other 2.

arch2b
2003.05.25, 05:32 PM
no offense intended, but i have the mzr 7 set as well. i would rather wait than shell out money for an inferior product.

i'm glad your rcrm 9 set works well! my wife bought me a set and they were crap. i kept the main gear bearings in though, heck, i couldn't get them back out;) . my wife bough me the tc 7 set for my racer as well and those sucked even more...i bought squats 7 set (before mzr had his). now i have a set of squats and a few of mzr's.

HO502cid
2003.05.25, 05:47 PM
I am using Yeah racing bearings... I think they may be d i n b a l l's own brand.

I figure if I end up going with the MZR set I should probably buy all 9 at once so they are all the same age, no sense in having some bearings that are 3 months old and some that are 2 days old. The way I drive my car my cheapo bearings may last me for awhile.

arch2b
2003.05.25, 05:55 PM
brand names aside...go with what works for you;) . everything else is relative and opinion. after you go through a few manufacturers yourself...you'll have a good idea of what worth the money and what's not, and be sharing the info with the rest of us of course;)

every forum menber will have his favorites....not all of them will be the same.;)

WhiteyP
2003.05.26, 07:06 PM
I will probably just go with MZR bearing after hearing all the negative feedback for hte YEAH racing and TopCad ones. Thx