PDA

View Full Version : Do people use NICADS on their OL's?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.03, 11:15 PM
I'm curious as to what kind of batteries people use.

Replies would be appreciated.

warnoffroad
2003.06.03, 11:19 PM
I have 4 sets os ray 700s, and a set of the new PN 780s. They seem to be the same $. I'd go with the PNs, i got mine off eBay for 11 or so.

arch2b
2003.06.03, 11:21 PM
energizers in all my mini z's

BLiND
2003.06.04, 12:13 AM
I use my own batteries :D

Kamen
2003.06.04, 12:38 AM
GP 800s here and I love them :D The performance seams great but I have nothing to compare them to other than Duracells. the run time is great and since I have 2 sets and a 1 hour charger I never run out of batterys. :D

Kamen.

overlandkevin
2003.06.04, 12:55 AM
Yea Im loving the GH800 batteries too.:D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.04, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the reply, guys. I also would like to know if people are more concerned about run time or power?

Since Nicads provide more punch, and NIMH provide longer run time, there's definitely a compromise.

I personally like Nicads over NIMH, mainly because when both have been used quite a bit, the Nicads seem to maintain a lot of its power, whereas the NIMH decreased dramatically. I found this out when I was testing motors.

I'd like to hear your input and thanks in advance.

overlandkevin
2003.06.04, 01:04 AM
Hey NML what tires are those on your overland and where did u get them?

HO502cid
2003.06.04, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by BLiND
I use my own batteries :D

I use his batteries.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.04, 03:20 AM
Lol! Careful using those, you might go BLiND. hehe.

Anyone using Nicads at all? Honestly, I got rid of my NIMH because I love the extra juice that I get from the Nicads. Runtime for me, is not really a concern, since I was into 1/10th scales. You know the deal with the 1/10ths.

HO502cid
2003.06.04, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by NOMOTORLIMIT
Lol! Careful using those, you might go BLiND. hehe.

Anyone using Nicads at all? Honestly, I got rid of my NIMH because I love the extra juice that I get from the Nicads. Runtime for me, is not really a concern, since I was into 1/10th scales. You know the deal with the 1/10ths.

BLiND gave me such a great deal on these batts that I could not refuse, maybe I would be using Nicads if I hadn't gotten these.

Mondo
2003.06.04, 03:59 AM
I use GP800's (4 sets), Energizer 750's(4 sets), LG 700's(3 sets)and Engergizer 650's.(4 sets) All are NiMh.

I do have a few sets of NiCAD, but as NiCAD's are so tempramental, I couldn't be bothered with them.

XtremeDareDevil
2003.06.04, 10:20 AM
I just got started so I only have my Rayovak 700's. They are great. I had to run practically an hour on hardwood and carpet to notice a slight decrease in power on the bottom end but top-speed seemed the same.

I put them in my 2 way radio and left it in for 22 hours so far and it is still showing full juice. Alkalines may have lasted three hours before going dead.

I am looking at the Energizer NiMH 750's next. I am perfectly happy with the way the stock OL runs. With a couple sets of batteries I could last practically all day up at my dirt track. I could set up a tent out there or something.:D

I think NiMH's are just the way to go anymore. New NiMHs are having just as much voltage as NiCd's so with the NiMH's running longer, it is a no brainer. While I haven't tried NiCD's in my Overland, I had both cell types for my 1/10 and the NiMH's were clearly the winners. My NiMH's would do wheelies in my Pede for over 4/5 of the battery while the NiCD's would do them better at first, they would only last 1/4 of the battery. They may keep there peak voltage as long as the NiMH's sometimes but not most times.

NiCd's aren't very consistent and while they are cheaper, in the Mini-Z world, there is not much a price difference. If you can't afford a 10 dollar set of batts, something is not right.

While we are asking questions, I want to know what charger you all use?

I use a Rayovak Universal that can charge 8 AAA's/AA's, or 4 C's, or 1 9V.

It can charge the AAA's pretty fast, maybe 3 hours or so. If you have a couple sets then you won't need to worry as you can run the others as your other set is charging. The fact that I can charge 8 at once is also a timesaver. It peak charges each cell and then shuts off to a trickle charge to maintain the battery voltage. It's a very nice charger.

arch2b
2003.06.04, 10:42 AM
extreme, read here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7453&highlight=chargers)

XtremeDareDevil
2003.06.04, 10:58 AM
Thanks arch, I don't venture out of the Overland forum much.

arch2b
2003.06.04, 11:39 AM
it can be overwhelming;) , there is soo much cool stuff though...you really should just read around when you have the time. i spend most of my time in the ol section as well, but i still keep up with the rest....it's easy when you don't watch much tv!

XtremeDareDevil
2003.06.04, 11:49 AM
I was checking out the tracks just a second ago. There were some good ideas. I think I will start to take a look around. I will have a lot of free time on my hands this summer.

I think half my post count came from today, lol.

OffroadOverland
2003.06.04, 07:21 PM
NML what kind of NiCADs do you use?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.04, 07:40 PM
I use GE/Sanyo 1.25 V. They are the best nicads I've used. Me and another forum member have done comparisons vs. other nicads and these are pretty much the most powerful nicads I've ever used. That person was the one who first discovered them.

I also have the 750 nimh duracell ACCU's (5 sets of four). They are good at first, and later declined in performance.

Now, I gave my nimh to my nephew. I only have 2 sets of NIMH and 7 sets of the GE/Sanyos. I always enjoy the extra juice it gives.

I personally prefer power over run time. I get bored when I feel that the batteries are at a plateau.

OffroadOverland
2003.06.04, 08:40 PM
hmm maby ill pick up a set i also pefer power over run time
i use NiCADs on all my other rcs

pchan0
2003.06.05, 11:26 AM
NML, I use GP800 nimh and GP300 nicd...

good thing about the nicd is that you can charge the batts at a higher amp then nimh to give you that punch, I once charged my GP300 at about 1.5amps. They were very punchy but it didn't last long, they dump very quick...

nimh is more consistant with power...

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.05, 09:20 PM
Thanks, PChan.

I think people should have at least one set of Nicads. I'm the other way though.