PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Overland

BLiND
2003.06.15, 02:58 AM
Got some new goodies for my overland, man this truck is so much fun!

http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/ol/ol-front.jpg
Tiny little flex over stock size tires...I love these rims!
http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/ol/ol-rear.jpg
Who said the GPM shocks werent soft?! I have done nothing to these shocks, they work so smooth!
http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/ol/ol-gutsfront.jpg
Here you can see my bloody battery clips pretty good, and my wide 5 spoke rims with MT tires
http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/ol/ol-motorclip.jpg
Here's a good shot of the bloody motor clip/heatsink, and the tread of the MT tires
http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/ol/ol-incdamper.jpg
This is the only alloy rear shock tower which is adjustable for either wheelbase, you simply change the holes that the suspension link balls screw into for the pejero wheelbase (I think, I dont have a pajero body). I lost the spacers for the shocks that came with the shock mount, so I am using some temporary ones until I find them again...The spacer makes it so the shocks are at the correct angle so they dont bind.

BLiND
2003.06.15, 03:15 AM
oh yea, I've got black GPM shocks on there too ;)

I'm probably going to swap the red springs on for no reason other than the looks, the shocks work perfectly right now though! I'm so happy with this truck.

oh and for the alloy nay sayers, this truck still pops wheelies....ON WAXED HARDWOOD.

http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/wheelie.wmv (120kb)

WhiteyP
2003.06.15, 03:49 AM
Nice truck there blind. I gotta post pics of mine. I don't got much in there right now except knuckles, xspeed, locknuts, and MT tires. Pretty soon I'll have the biggies like alloy dampers, delrin, undergruard, and heatsinks. THen i'll post some pics of the Whitey P (White Pajero) :)

Nice truck though, glad to see someone who likes hte GPM shocks!

WhiteyP
2003.06.15, 03:50 AM
Yo one more thing. How did you get on the clear servo case and clear chasis. I wanna replace the chasis because my battery tabs are screwed up and my servo case is all scratched up. Was this hard to do? Lemme know :)

BLiND
2003.06.15, 04:28 AM
the clear chassis was a PITA to install.

well the chassis wasn't, but the clear servo case is tough because the servo is hard to get back together perfectly, I had to rebuild mine about 3 times to get everything to work perfectly again, the first time I put it together it wasn't centered, the next time the wires going to the POT were being squished, so it wouldn't steer right (wouldn't center, did other weird stuff).

3rd times the charm though, hehe. Your truck sounds cool, get some pics!

Nosser
2003.06.15, 05:10 AM
hey blind if I order parts on your website how long would it take. I would like the extra wide rims, tires and idler gear.

BLiND
2003.06.15, 05:12 AM
you're in socal? probably get there by Tuesday ;)

I'd rather not talk about my shop here though, these arent my forums...

arch2b
2003.06.15, 09:49 AM
nice pictures! i feel your pain on the servo pod problems....mine are well posted here, hehe. took me the better part of 2 weeks to get mine back together just right. the upside down trick helps...alittle more tricky but worked for me.

BLiND
2003.06.15, 09:52 AM
I still need to throw in my alloy ti-rod (1 deg toe-in) alloy servo saver set (doesn't come with the spring though? I dunno haven't looked at it much) and alloy knuckles.

I can't bring myself to taking that d@mned thing apart again to put the stuff in...lol!

arch2b
2003.06.15, 10:40 AM
no way getting around it for the tie rod/servo saver... don't have to for the knuckles if your good at jimmying things in, hehe. it took me longer than had i opened it up, but saved me the headache of actually doing so.

the spacers on the inc damper seem less strong/durable than the one peice dampers... we'll have to wait for your extended testing review;)

i see you split the front damper screw holes too, hehe. the stock plastic damers are crap! nearly impossible to remove/replace them wthout cracking the plastic somewhere. i suggest full alloy dampers, although it doens't keep you from cracking the mount holes on the chassis, which i've done as well. now if they only had an alloy/derlin chassis...i'd get that in a hearbeat! added weight aside and all. what would be nice too, are alloy lower swing arms with drilled holes to reduce weight!

ohh, sorry for drifting way off topic! red is awsome! now if someone airbrushed weathering on them....damn that would be nice!

BLiND
2003.06.15, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by arch2b
the spacers on the inc damper seem less strong/durable than the one peice dampers... we'll have to wait for your extended testing review;)
red is awsome! now if someone airbrushed weathering on them....damn that would be nice!

Actually the spacers that come with the inc damper mount is much nicer than what I'm using! I put these parts together with the screws and such in my lap, and I got mostly everything on, then I had to get up to go pee...yea I dropped the spacers and the longer screws for mounting the shocks. I found one of the longer screws so far, thats it.

the spacers are supposed to be white delrin, which is great because the carpet in my room here is beige...and very messy!

I agree, airbrushed weathering would be nice, I wonder if anybody is going to do that ;)

I went with the black shocks instead of red for scale reasons, see in the very first pic how you can see the shocks through the wheel wells? Well my 1:1 scale truck doesn't have bright red shocks, it has black shocks! hehe, ok I'm lame.

arch2b
2003.06.15, 11:02 AM
actually, the black does give it a more accurate appearance. it's funny that i'm anal about the realism of my custom parts but not with the ol chassis parts;) i like the red because it fits with the rally look of the red lc. i like the silver for the white pj. if i had a 3rd ol, i would get black for the silver lc.

OverlandPajero
2003.06.15, 01:13 PM
nice pics, which rear damper is that? gpm or topcad?

BLiND
2003.06.15, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by OverlandPajero
nice pics, which rear damper is that? gpm or topcad?

every part on my overland is GPM except the clear chassis :)

akura2
2003.06.15, 01:52 PM
No roof racks?

BLiND
2003.06.15, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by akura2
No roof racks?

well I've got these, they look like OEM roof rakes for the landcruiser soccer mom's that I see driving around on the street...

akura2
2003.06.16, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BLiND
well I've got these, they look like OEM roof rakes for the landcruiser soccer mom's that I see driving around on the street...

Ah..... I want one like yours...:(

warnoffroad
2003.06.16, 10:17 PM
Finally! lets see em on the LC.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.17, 04:18 PM

oh and for the alloy nay sayers, this truck still pops wheelies....ON WAXED HARDWOOD.

http://www.blindbatts.com/temp/wheelie.wmv (120kb)

:D The truck is saying, "I know I can, I know I can, if I back up far enough."

Gotta pull back, because horsepower lack.:D ;)

BLiND
2003.06.17, 08:39 PM
it lifts the front wheels without backing up, but it wont scrap the back bumper unless I back up

akura2
2003.06.17, 09:54 PM
You guys are funny

Josh
2003.06.18, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by NOMOTORLIMIT
:D The truck is saying, "I know I can, I know I can, if I back up far enough."

Gotta pull back, because horsepower lack.:D ;)

LOL. Anyway cool pics.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.18, 10:10 AM
Blind,

I will bring my OL to train your OL on how to do it the right way. :D I'm kidding, bro. Cool pics/vids.

My OL says, "Don't do it like that. Do it like this!" ///////////////////wheelie.

BLiND
2003.06.18, 01:47 PM
NML, you know the pajero wheelies more than the land cruiser when both are stock anyways right? lol, throw a land cruiser on yours and see what happens ;)

any word on the next g2g?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.18, 03:09 PM
Aight, Blind. I'll take you up on that. So, you don't think FUZION OL can pull it off, using a LC body? :D :)

c0ckeyed00
2003.06.19, 01:21 AM
hey blind,
nice pics, nice vid. i just wanted to know why there are wires from the batteries directly connected to the motor?
thanks
jon

HO502cid
2003.06.19, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by c0ckeyed00
hey blind,
nice pics, nice vid. i just wanted to know why there are wires from the batteries directly connected to the motor?
thanks
jon

I think those are for his light kit.

BLiND
2003.06.19, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by HO502cid
I think those are for his light kit.

yup.

I think I'm going to make a seperate battery pack for the light kit, the functioning brake lights are cool and all, but at full throttle the lights dim to the point of being off, so I can only have the lights on at partial throttle :mad:

arch2b
2003.06.19, 06:35 AM
i was willing to sacrafice the braking function of the lights inorder to have a constant high ooutput from the rest on my many lights on the front. a seperate battery source is really the best way to go. post what you use for your battery pack as i'm always interested in alternatives for mine.

notarex
2003.06.19, 12:18 PM
I'm using a 12v battery from rshack that fits nicely in an n size holder (although it's not exactly n size) Lights up good but i'm concerned about battery life although it hasn't run out yet....

arch2b
2003.06.19, 01:05 PM
notarex,
can you give me some more info on the 12v battery you are using? i have to use a 8.4v nimh to get enough v's to run all my leds (need atleast 7v for pairing the ultrabrights, reducing the amount of wiring)

XtremeDareDevil
2003.06.19, 01:48 PM
I have a vid of my Monster OL being the master of wheelies on my bed. I can e-mail it to someone who can post it on here. I can't get a vid on here. It is in .avi format.

I did 3 wheelies in a roll only backing up an inch or 2 on the first one and that is with a 12t pinion. I ran out of room also. Anyone willing to host the vid?

akura2
2003.06.19, 07:02 PM
I ended up making my own roof rack based on the instructions that Arch2b made.... the other roof rack made with just piano wire with the three braces would have probably come out better... but it's not too bad for my first go...

Brass soldering is a LOT harder than electrical soldering... take my word for it

I may try it again... but as it stands right now...hellllll no

Don't look at it too closely...until I put some wheels and junk in it

akura2
2003.06.19, 07:19 PM
better

BLiND
2003.06.19, 09:16 PM
that came out pretty good! those are some funky rims and tires you're using now though, lol.

oh FYI - first official race of the hybrid 540 micro will be on the 28th of this month at the track in camarillo, intelligentsia from the yourmicro forum is coming up to race me at the hobby people race :D

arch2b
2003.06.19, 09:30 PM
akura,
nice job! especially with only music wire! your right, brass soldering is not easy;) . it helps to have a higher watt iron than what you would use for electronics work. trust me, the more you make....the better they get! and the more you'll like them!

wait to you see my latest design! it will be posted when i get my group buy bodies!

akura2
2003.06.19, 11:28 PM
The one I posted pics of was made with 3/32 and 1/16 square brass stock like the step by step instructions... but the one in your 5 minute instruction sheet that was made from piano wire would have come out better...

This is the one I want...

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album58/mz128.sized.jpg

BLiND
2003.06.20, 06:22 AM
arch: I just got these batteries in the mail today...gonna try them on my light kit this weekend probably.

gonna experiment with them, they are NiMH and only 40mAH, but to be honest, LED's dont draw crap...oh yea, this string of cells is 7.2v also :D Hell, I've got an LED keychain that uses a single 3.6v lithium button cell, and its like a year old and I use it every night to get from my truck to the side door and through the garage...still bright as the day I bought it...

at the least I can throw them into my zip zap as a tri-cell mod, hehe :p

arch2b
2003.06.20, 06:40 AM
blind,
that looks like it would save me alot of weight on the inside! let me know how it works.

notarex
2003.06.20, 02:07 PM
Arch- The battery is Rshack 23A, It's for some sort of remote (car alarm?) I'm only running six leds (head/tail and two fog lights) so it might not have enough juice for 8. On mine it fires up the leds so bright they look like Hid! Oh man I wish I had a digicam, if you guys saw my roof rack with integrated fogs, you'd totally freak :D

akura2
2003.06.20, 02:33 PM
those are some funky rims and tires you're using now though, lol.

Those are Mini-Z racer Altezza rims with Bridgestone Dirt Duelers from Aoshima/American Satco from a Nissan Pathfinder kit... :D they are really grippy and soft...

but I'm back to my monster tires now...:D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2003.06.20, 07:18 PM
arch: I just got these batteries in the mail today...gonna try them on my light kit this weekend probably.

gonna experiment with them, they are NiMH and only 40mAH, but to be honest, LED's dont draw crap...oh yea, this string of cells is 7.2v also :D Hell, I've got an LED keychain that uses a single 3.6v lithium button cell, and its like a year old and I use it every night to get from my truck to the side door and through the garage...still bright as the day I bought it...

at the least I can throw them into my zip zap as a tri-cell mod, hehe :p

I have those too, Blind. Way back when I used to run my 56 mph ABC on the street at night, when I would get to the corner, the car disappears. I can't see it. So, I used those. They don't last too long. I used 5mm Leds, and the life per charge was a little longer than my 5 minute runs. And those were 70 mah. It doesn't hurt to try though.

BLiND
2003.06.22, 04:48 AM
how many LED's? do 5mm LED's draw more/less than what is used on standard light kits for the mini-z's?