PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my car

zath
2001.11.11, 02:13 PM
Somthing strange is going on with my car and im hoping some one will know whats up. Whenever i hit somthing head on, hard or soft the car basicaly shuts off, i then have to pull out one battery from each side(break the sercit) nad turn it back on, then its good intel i hit somthing head on agean.

Russ
2001.11.11, 02:37 PM
That used to happen to mine, but only if I plowed into an unforgiving object at full speed....but I haven't done that in quite some time and don't plan to, so I couldn't tell u.

It happened really bad with my friend's Z, what he did was take little paper strips and slip them behind the positive contacts for the batteries and it works fine now.

It also happened to my other buddy who works at the LHS, except his was alot worse. He narrowed his problem down to the batteries, because it would cut in and out when he was driving when he used NIMH cels, but nothing else. He could use nicads and alkallines fine, but his car would cut in and out on the NIMH batteries. He never did try the paper spacer trick though.

The little "nipples" on the NIMH batteries aren't as big as on other types, so this might be the problem.

The spacers go behind the positive terminals because if you look at them, there are little pieces of plastic that will hold a battery away from the terminal if the nipple isn't big enough, just check it out and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you put a spacer behind the terminal, it will hold it torwards the battery more and might solve your problem. I think this is more of a poor-molded chassis problem rather than an ESC problem.

Russ

HKS117
2001.11.11, 04:05 PM
Or you can put a drop of solder on each connector plate to get a tight fitting battery.:)

zath
2001.11.11, 04:31 PM
im going to check that out, dos it make any diferance that it is with both the clear blue chasse and the regular one.
also it donst mater what kind of batteries im using

zath
2001.11.11, 07:07 PM
i tried it and it didnt change anything:( I tried a varity of batterys and it dose the same thing with all of them.

Any outher sugjestions would be good.

Russ
2001.11.11, 07:51 PM
practice and don't hit anything?? :D J/k

Russ

wrcracer
2001.11.11, 09:31 PM
that happened to mine the other day. i saw that some of the batteries had popped out of the tray just enough to break the circuit. what i did was just tape the batteries down. even with the clasps that hold the batteries in, its still too loose, and that solved the problem. btw, concrete and mini-z's dont get along too well...;)

zath
2001.11.11, 11:19 PM
it seams odd to me that, if in deed it is the batterys that the only way to fix it is to take one from each side(dosnt mater witch one) pull it out and put them in, it wont work if you do only one side it has to be one from both, and it quite frankly has me bafald.

Shrubba
2001.11.13, 02:44 PM
this is a problem that plagues racers here too.
what i do is:

1. streatch the springy thing on the negative side. will help push the battery to the possitive contact.

2. use a strip of duct tape to wrap the chassis. this will hold the batteries in place better. make sure it is nice an tight :)

i will try the spacer idea :)

also, if my car goes dead, all i do is pick it up, and with my finger nail pop the battery clip, and then pop it back on. do this to one side, and then then other. This will work 99% of the time. you don't have to take the top of this way. you don't even need to take the batteries out! this will just re-seat the cells, and make contact.

Shrubba

zath
2002.01.20, 02:02 AM
Try froping a biy of soder on each side, wear the nipple hits the mettle pad