PDA

View Full Version : striped skrew holes

westbrentwood
2003.07.30, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have a good idea of how to make the skews work agian if the hole there in is completly striped.

PAULANGELO
2003.07.30, 01:06 PM
Try plummers tape around the screws. This can give you a little more usage. Best thing though is to replace the part that is stripped.

westbrentwood
2003.07.30, 02:08 PM
I don't want to get a whole new chassi so i'll try the tape if i can find some.

PAULANGELO
2003.07.30, 03:46 PM
you can find it at your local hardware store.

DAMZer
2003.07.30, 06:34 PM
One more time.................

Take a toothpick and place a drop of CA, medium or thick, onto the end. Stick the tip of the toothpick in the hole and roll it around the interior of the hole. Let it dry or hit with some accellerator.

After its dry, gently thread the srew into the repaired hole. If it is still too loose, go again.

The trick is to remember to "Hand" tighten and not crank down too hard. Easier said than done until you mess up a few servo cases!!

Other methods have been discussed, but this has always worked for me without damaging anything else.

timinater
2003.08.22, 08:04 PM
wouldnt it be easier to completely fill the hole with melted plastic then drill out the hole(assuming the hole was plastic) then just make some new threads?

rckid1
2004.03.01, 04:32 PM
put super glue on the screw

minizer
2004.06.28, 10:08 PM
I've read you can heat the part with a flame until it almost melts and put the screw in and remove the flame so the plastic can mold to the screw.

herman
2004.06.29, 01:07 AM
for me the best method is like what damzer described... :D

herman
2004.09.01, 11:47 AM
hmm interesting solution... i must say i did that when i needed a quick fix...
but eventually i did what damzer mentioned... and still think it's the best solution...

put super glue on the screw
:eek: what happens if you want to take the screw out???

bENZinO
2004.09.01, 03:53 PM
One more time.................

Take a toothpick ... roll it around the interior of the hole. Let it dry or hit with some accellerator.

After its dry, gently thread the srew into the repaired hole...

your actually using the glue as a rethread, so you can take it out again ;)

Twenty-Se7en
2004.09.01, 03:56 PM
your actually using the glue as a rethread, so you can take it out again ;)

nice... i'll remember that if I strip a screw hole and don't have a spare chassis laying around :cool:

herman
2004.09.01, 11:18 PM
that's why i pointed out that damzer's method is better... i've done it a couple of times as opposed to rckid1's method - "putting super glue on the screw." you may encounter problems when you unscrew it...

damzer's method is "... actually using the glue as a rethread, so you can take it out again" :D

Renaultf1
2004.11.26, 08:00 AM
i had a big shunt against the wall with my f1 n stripped the screw which holds the bumper to the front wing, still not sure wot to do.