Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   iWaver (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   02M or Nanoracer2? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31002)

hypertek 2009.02.23 12:55 AM

02M or Nanoracer2?

So im curious,.. considering getting one of these budget racers... I could probably get a friend to pick one up so we can race.

I like the idea of being able to hop it up.. Which one has more potential or is better out of the box? I guess the nanoracer is more a direct mr02 clone? where as the 02m has somewhat of a special unique design to it? I know the rear suspension is different.

EMU 2009.02.23 01:01 AM

My honest opinion, get a Mini-Z. I have had many of the older Iwavers, which became the Nanoracer, and the electronics are not good. Also, the parts are kind of brittle and not as precise as Kyosho.

I have an 02M, and it needs some attention out of the box... my steering was not centering properly. The tie rod design isnt very good, has a bit of binding and too much play.

I would only get the Iwaver/Nanoracer2 if you want progects to work on...

hypertek 2009.02.23 01:22 AM

thanks., i dont mind projects to work on.. consider it this way, would be my first micro and i could learn to see if i like them or not.

Just curious between the 2 models.. i know i did a google search and everyone says go with a mini z.. but as far as best bang for the buck, im just curious between the 2.

EMU 2009.02.23 02:10 AM

I would get a used AM Kyosho MR02. You should be able to find them cheap... and make a project out of them.

I really dont want to comment on which one is a better bang for the buck. Do you like being stuck up with a gun or a knife? Its a little harsh, but my experiences were pretty poor. Out of about 10 cars that I had, I had one that I was able to get to work well.

When I first got into RC, I saw many people talking about how the Iwavers were the same as Kyosho, at half the price. I decided to build a fleet of Iwavers, needless to say, that fleet sank pretty quickly, and I almost left the hobby. I ordered a used MR01, and it kept me satisfied, although I had to repair the servo gears almost once a race night. Soon after I got an MR02, and thought... man, this is what I should have bought in the first place.

Dont go cheap, or you will either buy twice, or buy once and leave.

Best bang for the buck, but a Nanoracer 2, and get a used AM Mini-z PCB. All hop up parts are the same for the Nanoracer 2 and the MR02, so you will get to know how to work on and setup the car. The transmitter that comes with the Nanoracer should work with the Mini-Z PCB (27mhz AM). Although, I think that the Iwaver/Nanoracer transmitters arent that great, but should be a little better than the box stock Kyosho TX.

Cherub1m 2009.02.24 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertek (Post 336918)
thanks., i dont mind projects to work on.. consider it this way, would be my first micro and i could learn to see if i like them or not.

Just curious between the 2 models.. i know i did a google search and everyone says go with a mini z.. but as far as best bang for the buck, im just curious between the 2.

Don't do it man if you want a project get a Miniz and work on it and you will notice great improvements in performance, the I waver maybe cheaper at the start but to get it running anywhere near the Miniz will cost you much more then a Miniz. Trust me I had an Iwaver 02M I got it to run well (close to a miniz level but not to the miniz level) but it cost me much more then a Miniz that is modded to run very well. I came very close to going back to my 12 scale racing until I got a Miniz and now I own 10 miniz's :D. Go with the Miniz and don't look back:D

EMU knows his 1/28th scales very well listen to him.

woolleyman 2009.07.03 06:15 AM

im wondering if i should either iwaver or mini z, and i live in the uk and dont no any shops online that do these types of car and i really want a budget car aswell.

color01 2009.07.03 08:02 AM

An AM Mini-Z these days can be a very good budget car. Get a good second-hand one for the price of a new Iwaver, and it will perform better for a longer time. pfcparts is selling a pristine MR-015 RX-7 for a ridiculous price, I'd definitely look into it. ;)

woolleyman 2009.07.05 11:17 AM

thanks m8, what shop is it cant understand, how much is it

HSVXU6 2009.07.05 04:53 PM

What is a "ridiculous price?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by color01 (Post 353496)
An AM Mini-Z these days can be a very good budget car. Get a good second-hand one for the price of a new Iwaver, and it will perform better for a longer time. pfcparts is selling a pristine MR-015 RX-7 for a ?????????, I'd definitely look into it. ;)

Hi color01. What do you call a ridiculous price?

woolleyman 2009.07.06 10:08 AM

hiya, right can anyone find me A MINI Z CAR, that are uk sites looking, because im english and from the uk, but if you find me one that is from america, can you check if they ship to the uk thankyou and it has to be cheapish because i have no money lol

if anyone could find me one in the uk
i will be much grateful!!!
i have been searching ages

TannerT 2009.07.06 10:47 AM

Post a WTB thread in the Marketplace area. I'm sure someone could sell you one for a good price.

HSVXU6 2009.07.08 03:56 AM

Nano racer 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertek (Post 336915)
So im curious,.. considering getting one of these budget racers... I could probably get a friend to pick one up so we can race.

I like the idea of being able to hop it up.. Which one has more potential or is better out of the box? I guess the nanoracer is more a direct mr02 clone? where as the 02m has somewhat of a special unique design to it? I know the rear suspension is different.

My Nanoracer 2 arrived Tuesday and I am more than happy with it. $60.00 USD on my door step. Ordered late Friday, got an email Saturday to say they had no Ferrari's in stock, picked a Mini and it was here Tuesday morning. Found some AAA batteries, pulled the AA's out of one of my other radios, racing at lunch time, can't complain about that. Has the 10 model LCD radio which works fine and has some nice features, not anything like my Spektrum's I can assure you but for what they have to control their fine. Now thinking about my next purchase, perhaps an Iwaver 2, wouldn't mind one of the new buggies!

viper001 2009.10.04 07:07 AM

also got a nano racer, put 4 800mah ni-mh. cleaned the stock diff and used thin ceramic grease. removed the 6T pinon and placed the 9T. dialed a -50 on fwd expo, -50 on the steering expo, reduced streering rate to 70%. trimmed a wee bit off the lower front side of the front wheel well due to front whell bind at high speed. everything stock of the box!!!

went straight 5meter drag race with a semi modded Mini-Z AWD (ball diffs, bearings, etc...)... finished at the same time. ( to me it looked like i pulled ahead a bit, but everyone else said it was a tie).

Did some technical runs an got smoked on the corners, smoked em at the straight way. it ended up on who's better at driving. sadly it wasn't me.

Planning on getting ball bearings, ball diffs and maybe an alloy motor housing, to start with.

marc 2009.10.04 10:11 AM

Let me put it this way. If you are getting into this hobby for the first time and you wind up getting something that is junk, you won't like this hobby. If you get the Mini-Z, you'll fall in love with it and it'll be worth your time and money.
Iwavers, and Xmods are more for kids I think than us hobbyists. Don't get me wrong, their great starters, but Z's are still your best options. Plus, you'll have loads of friends here helping you get started! :D

wildthing 2009.10.05 06:44 AM

marc might be right on some aspect of the hobby (about getting a mini Z).

but considering the "cheap" alternative of the Iwavers... I also (like viper001) opted to try it.

Iwaver 02 is probably better than what I got... an Iwaver 01. It seems that the Iwaver 02 or Nanoracer 02 would have a swapable parts with the after market parts of Kyosho Mini Z MR02.

The Iwaver 01 doesn't seem to have compatible parts with the mini Z.

There are very few Iwavers/Nanoracers in the market and their plastic really sucks (breaks easily) big time ... but nothing that a good CA can repair. Even my kyosho MA010 have lots of "cracks" already that were being held now only by CA.