Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z AWD MA-010, MA-015 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Xtal Room? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20175)

Draconious 2005.12.18 07:09 AM

Xtal Room?

Ok looking at byebyes post... http://www.mini-racer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20174

I was pondering another possible alternative to getting more room for the Xtal..

Can the white xtal mount on the PCB, be unsoldered.. soldered onto the other side.. and allow the Xtal to mount through the PCB? and then the holder holds it tightly on the other side of the PCB? is there room for this? it would lower the XTAL at least 3 or 4mm...

byebye 2005.12.18 07:14 AM

I dont' think there is room. I noticed it's pretty packed and with the third cap(which is need because it's so close) it's nearly butted together. There is also what looks to be a non conductive piece of pastic to keep everything from shorting together.

The other alternative would be to set it up like an F1 board. The crystal is attached to the board with two copper wires. The copper wires are soldered to the board and are wrapped and soldered around the legs of the crystal holder. That would be the best solution.

-Byebye

Twenty-Se7en 2005.12.18 07:43 AM

When I saw the design I thought to myself, damn did they design this and forget about crystal placement untill the last moment? I really limits how much you can lower some bodies and even cuts out the possibility of using some autoscales without modification... the best alternative I have seen is mounting the crystal sideways. Just a little hacking at the chassis and some soddering and you are set for a much lower crystal.

Draconious 2005.12.18 08:25 AM

what I am pondering shouldnt take up much more than 1mm beyond the silver solder points of the xtal hole...

Basicly I am pondering removing the xtal holder.. and puting it in on the other side, then trimming off the metal ends flush with the board... so the xtal actualy goes into the thing in from the bottom... it might not grip the pegs of the xtal tight enough tho...

I think one of the I wavers kind of does something like this...

My idea may require triming the xtal pegs shorter, wich is kind of a bad idea...

If it only moved the crystal down, the thickness of the white block under the xtal.. would that be enough to bother with?

T Man 2005.12.18 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just cut a small portion of the top cover of the chassis and soldered the crystal on F1 style. I think another member by the name of crazyracer did this first. Here's a picture:

Draconious 2005.12.18 12:00 PM

I held one of these in my hand but dont have one righ tnow... so that side of the car is that much higher? I think the F1 xtal slot type of thing shoulda came on the car in the first place if it fits in that specific spot. They should alther the PCB cover and pcb in the next productions ;)

Ken Mifune 2005.12.18 12:24 PM

OMG! you guys solder the Xtals to the holder. And it looks like you melted right through the cover with the iron to do it. ;) It seems like a good idea to lay down the Xtal but is it possible to glue the holder sideways to the board then solder some jumpers from the holder to the board?

arch2b 2005.12.18 12:41 PM

just swap an f1 part in for the stock holder

T Man 2005.12.18 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Mifune
OMG! you guys solder the Xtals to the holder. And it looks like you melted right through the cover with the iron to do it. ;) It seems like a good idea to lay down the Xtal but is it possible to glue the holder sideways to the board then solder some jumpers from the holder to the board?

It's not a big deal for me. I never have to change crystals (probably do to the fact that I only have one set). :p

Ken Mifune 2005.12.18 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Man
It's not a big deal for me. I never have to change crystals (probably do to the fact that I only have one set). :p

And it is an easy fix without having to pull the board. How much lower is it?

techno 2005.12.18 04:27 PM

does anyone know where someone could find the xtal sockets surplus I dont like the idea of soldering on the rx xtal if we can find them surplus it would be better to mod the board and cut the chassis than making a semi perm solution to the xtals

byebye 2005.12.18 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno
does anyone know where someone could find the xtal sockets surplus I dont like the idea of soldering on the rx xtal if we can find them surplus it would be better to mod the board and cut the chassis than making a semi perm solution to the xtals

That's the reason I soldered to wire and stuck them in normally rather than solder to the holder.

-Byebye

T Man 2005.12.18 06:34 PM

Quote:

And it is an easy fix without having to pull the board. How much lower is it?

I'd say about 4 or 5 millimeters. :)

Ken Mifune 2005.12.19 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byebye
That's the reason I soldered to wire and stuck them in normally rather than solder to the holder.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say earlier..."solder some jumpers from the holder to the board". All you need is some wire to relocate the holder. (If that's what I think you're saying:D )

byebye 2005.12.19 02:38 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say earlier..."solder some jumpers from the holder to the board". All you need is some wire to relocate the holder. (If that's what I think you're saying:D )

Yes that was the idea. I think you really only need to hack the body in extreme cases or if you really don't care about chopping it up. Originally I was making a hook that basically went up and over and the xtal would have sat in the same place as when you would hack the body and just solder straight to the holder.

The reason I didn't was because the xtal protector(the highest part of the cover of the chassis) was still low enough to clear the body. At that point I dumped the idea of making a hook and just went 90 off the top.

-Byebye