Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parts and Hop-ups (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Atomic ball diff gear running loud (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28329)

dameetz 2008.04.23 10:32 AM

Atomic ball diff gear running loud

I ve been using atomic ball diff for a while now and has changed the spur gear 3 times already, the latest being the delrin gear. The problem is I just cant make it to run smooth and quite. I have tried using lots of different pinion gears such as atomic delrin / aluminum, stock kyosho gears and Hpi steel pinion to match the spur. But its still running loud and i always check the meshing between the gears. I m getting frustrated with this. Is there any spur gears that can be fit to the atomic ball diff? Will Kyosho ball diff gear a perfect drop in?

mikez 2008.04.23 07:04 PM

R U still running the stock motor mount?

CristianTabush 2008.04.24 12:10 AM

I would make the switch to PN Racing 64 pitch gears. They will drop right in. Just make sure you get rid of 5 of the diff balls...

Programmers 2008.04.24 02:46 AM

Have you tried the atomic derlin gears?

I had the same problem as you until I used the matching atomic gears and it now runs real smooth. Now after some wearing in, it's almost silent! :)

dameetz 2008.04.25 12:12 AM

Im using atomic 94/98 motor pod and I ve tried the atomic delrin gears as well but its still making noise. I wanted to try the PN 64p gears as CT suggested but from where I live there is no PN stuff available only Atomic, Kyosho and 3racing stuff available. However I will try Kyosho gear first and wonder whats the size of the balls in the gear its self.

crazyracer 2008.04.26 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dameetz (Post 300559)
Im using atomic 94/98 motor pod and I ve tried the atomic delrin gears as well but its still making noise. I wanted to try the PN 64p gears as CT suggested but from where I live there is no PN stuff available only Atomic, Kyosho and 3racing stuff available. However I will try Kyosho gear first and wonder whats the size of the balls in the gear its self.

Where you living, I try to contact your LHS, or you can order from tinyrc.com or rckenon.com

RobinZ 2008.04.27 09:29 AM

my new ATM ball diff was terribly loud until I found out that the friction plates were as flat as Pamela A. The brand new rings showed huge curvature (really, not just a bit). Sanding them patiently, making them as flat as possible, resulted in much smoother and quieter run.

tribe 2008.04.27 10:05 AM

Interesting regarding the friction plates, my pn ball diff has always been quieter than the atm ball diffs used by others in our local crew. I always assumed it was from the ring and pinion gears.

mleemor60 2008.04.27 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dameetz (Post 300559)

You might just try 1 drop of Rem oil on the motor bearing on the pinion end after cleaning the motor. I started having a noise issue and found that continued motor spray between runs had dried the bearing out. Silent again with no other changes

dameetz 2008.04.28 02:58 AM

I just replaced my atm spur gear with kyosho gear and i think it fits nicely. i tried it on the track and all the noise was gone. Its very silent now and the gear mesh is very smooth.

Jebroni 2008.04.29 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CristianTabush (Post 300375)
I would make the switch to PN Racing 64 pitch gears. They will drop right in. Just make sure you get rid of 5 of the diff balls...

Christian, do you mean removing 5 of the little balls in the Diff??? Does that really help?

marc 2008.05.01 12:03 PM

Hi there. Are we talking AWD or MR02 here? Cause my Atomic AWD seems noisier than my PN AWD. My Atomic AWD has front and rear diff's and seem's to mesh pretty well, but it's noisy as heck. Nothing is grinding, nothing is interfearing with the gear's, it's just noisy. The PN is smooth and quiet. What's the difference? Aren't they both ball diffs?

dameetz 2008.05.01 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc (Post 301500)
Hi there. Are we talking AWD or MR02 here? Cause my Atomic AWD seems noisier than my PN AWD. My Atomic AWD has front and rear diff's and seem's to mesh pretty well, but it's noisy as heck. Nothing is grinding, nothing is interfearing with the gear's, it's just noisy. The PN is smooth and quiet. What's the difference? Aren't they both ball diffs?

Its MR02, anyhow I have solved the noise issue by changing to Kyosho spur gear. Its now running silent. I m not too sure about AWD gears though.