Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Lexan! (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40143)

byebye 2015.01.20 05:13 AM

Lexan!

Who is interested in custom lexan bodies?

I plan to build a vacuum forming rig and will start with some of our popular ASC's. I would start with a vacuum formed mold then fill that mold with plaster to add clay to and modify different aspects of the original design.

I'm shooting for durability, functionality and ease of use. My goal is to create a design that can be used with all offsets and mount as easy as an ASC.

Currently Home Depot sells sheets of lexan but at 2mm thick. I picked up a sheet hoping to do some heat testing. I know Amazon carries lot of it in different thickness'.

lfisminiz 2015.01.20 11:59 AM

Good possibility..,;)

arch2b 2015.01.20 12:51 PM

i'm still holding on my purchase of alain's caddy CS-V... would be interesting to see that in lexan but it's not a highly popular body though.

trouble with much of the current supercar craze shapes and forms, the contours make them near impossible to pull off in vacuum forming without sacrificing much of the detail.

byebye 2015.01.20 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch2b (Post 455470)
i'm still holding on my purchase of alain's caddy CS-V... would be interesting to see that in lexan but it's not a highly popular body though.

trouble with much of the current supercar craze shapes and forms, the contours make them near impossible to pull off in vacuum forming without sacrificing much of the detail.

You're right Ray. This is where varying thicknesses of Lexan come into play and it's relatively cheap so it's worth a shot. I've been scouring the web for different die cast models. I recall there was a "perfect fits" thread that had different models that would fit a Mini-z chassis.

mleemor60 2015.01.20 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch2b (Post 455470)

It would be if it were available with more wheel offset.

byebye 2015.01.20 05:52 PM

One other option is to carve it out of wood or 3d print it.

lfisminiz 2015.01.20 06:23 PM

Being able to mount them more like the autoscales/white bodies would be MUCH nicer. Dont like the clumsy post on most.

byebye 2015.01.20 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfisminiz (Post 455484)
Being able to mount them more like the autoscales/white bodies would be MUCH nicer. Dont like the clumsy post on most.

Yeah that will definitely make it's way into the design. I plan to make a full front bumper and side clips. I hope to have a rigid skeleton that the body will mount to and can be removed just as easily as an ASC.

golgi 2015.01.21 04:33 PM

Depending on which cars you plan to make, I am very interested in this.

arch2b 2015.01.21 05:02 PM

i also have a soft spot for a Honda Civic EK9 :rolleyes:

byebye 2015.01.21 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi (Post 455521)
Depending on which cars you plan to make, I am very interested in this.

Cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch2b (Post 455523)
i also have a soft spot for a Honda Civic EK9 :rolleyes:

Ahh that's right;)