Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z AWD MA-010, MA-015 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   МА-010 with MR-03 board - steering travel problem (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37432)

Bodom 2011.12.16 11:15 AM

МА-010 with MR-03 board - steering travel problem

Hello,
My MA-010 is on 03 board from some time on.
The problem is that with the KT-18 transmitter I couldn't get the steering to use it's whole range. I hit the maximum to the left on the controller and not on the servo.

Now I got EX-10 Helios with RF-901SM and I've read this thread.
But with 70% steering travel and steering balance - my servo barely moves.
I can get it to hit both left and right maximums of the servo by setting the Steering Travel to 122% and steering balance to 69% both left and right.
I've also moved the Steering Sub Trim to L30.

My MR-03 works just fine with the recommended settings, but the patched MA-010 doesn't.

Is it safe to use it that way - at 122% ST.TRAVEL ?
What is your setup for MA-010 with 03 board ?
I've thought for modifying the steering pot's resistance to increase steering travel..

machgo5go 2011.12.16 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodom (Post 425732)
Hello,
My MA-010 is on 03 board from some time on.
The problem is that with the KT-18 transmitter I couldn't get the steering to use it's whole range. I hit the maximum to the left on the controller and not on the servo.

Now I got EX-10 Helios with RF-901SM and I've read this thread.
But with 70% steering travel and steering balance - my servo barely moves.
I can get it to hit both left and right maximums of the servo by setting the Steering Travel to 122% and steering balance to 69% both left and right.
I've also moved the Steering Sub Trim to L30.

My MR-03 works just fine with the recommended settings, but the patched MA-010 doesn't.

Is it safe to use it that way - at 122% ST.TRAVEL ?
What is your setup for MA-010 with 03 board ?
I've thought for modifying the steering pot's resistance to increase steering travel..

That is the drawback in such high range travel with 03 board since steering servo motor is not coreless like a normal 03 chassis.
I rather live with this then fighting Reverse delay from it's original 02 board.

JuniorWKR 2011.12.16 02:14 PM

try 0.5 degrees of toe in. this wil help you out a bit.. Its what i did on mine.

color01 2011.12.16 02:18 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just a potentiometer thing... just replace the MA-010 potentiometer with the MR03 pot. Since the actual steering angle range on the pot is almost the same between the 03 and the AWD, the MR03 pot will not register any difference back to the PCB, and thus you'll be back to normal. If the steering is reversed left/right afterwards, you can reverse it again on the Helios to make it work properly. :)

Bodom 2011.12.16 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by color01 (Post 425748)
I'm pretty sure it's just a potentiometer thing... just replace the MA-010 potentiometer with the MR03 pot. Since the actual steering angle range on the pot is almost the same between the 03 and the AWD, the MR03 pot will not register any difference back to the PCB, and thus you'll be back to normal. If the steering is reversed left/right afterwards, you can reverse it again on the Helios to make it work properly. :)

I use the pot that came with the board (MR03 pot), since it's a new one and I wanted to replace everything. The motor is also new one. I just swapped two wires from the pot. So it's not that.
Do you have MA-010 with 03 board color01?

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuniorWKR (Post 425747)
try 0.5 degrees of toe in. this wil help you out a bit.. Its what i did on mine.

More toe-in helped a bit. Thanks.

color01 2011.12.17 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodom (Post 425749)
I use the pot that came with the board (MR03 pot), since it's a new one and I wanted to replace everything. The motor is also new one. I just swapped two wires from the pot. So it's not that.
Do you have MA-010 with 03 board color01?

I do not, but I was following MK2kompressor's build very closely as he was one of the first people to put an 03 board in the 010. No problems reported from his end. The problem you're describing seriously doesn't make any sense if you assume all the components (pot, motor, PCB) are working properly. Why would the same pot read the same steering angle differently between two cars? That's the logic behind my conclusions...

This technically shouldn't work, but have you tried swapping the wires on the pot? What happens?

JuniorWKR 2011.12.18 08:46 AM

there is definitly a decrease in overall turning radius when you put the 03 board on the awd... dont know why... everyon has the same issue that i have personally seen on their cars as well with the same conversion... a little bit of toe in solved our issues... we are all using the stock awd steering components and just swapped boards..

Bodom 2011.12.18 12:46 PM

The story is the following:
Got an 27Mhz AM MA-010 Readyset. Hopped it up.
Got pissed up by the glitches.
Got an KT-18 transmitter with MR-03 (different story).
Got an RA-22 board and new Atomic steering motor.
Swapped the board and motor (just removed the core-less motor from the RA-22 kit) and swapped green and orange pot wires on the board.
I got ridiculous turning radius with the KT-18 so I gave up using my AWD as racing car.
Now I have Helios and the MA-010 turns fine again, but I wonder if this high ST.TRAVEL is fine with the RA-22 board...

It is reasonable that the pot should read the same values used in the two types of servos, but the MA-010 servo has less travel overall I think..
Don't know what's wrong with my car, that's why I ask for your configurations on the radio using MA-010 with RA-22 board. :)

Thank you all for the replies :)

Cheers.

color01 2011.12.18 02:45 PM

I see I see... well, there's certainly no problem putting the ranges above 100% -- as long as you don't hear any mechanical strain coming from the servo, there is probably nothing wrong with it. You can always decrease the steering travel to 100% and increase the steering balance L/R up to 90% or so, which will bring the steering travel back up. :)

If you want to play around with it and understand the MR03 PCB, you can swap both the pot wires and the servo motor wires so the servo runs in reverse. If the PCB is reading the pot any differently, you'll notice a change in servo travel, and that will make it clear why everyone gets this result on the MA010. Otherwise, I think you're good, just have fun. :)

z3zinho 2011.12.18 03:33 PM

The different turning radius doesn't make much sense unless either a) 03 boards have a different pot (same size , different value), or b)the pot doesn't rotate as much on the 03 vs the awd/02... Anyone checked this?

color01 2011.12.18 04:53 PM

The MA010 has a tiny bit less (10% or so?) travel than the MR03, and either the pot or motor needs to be reversed if I recall correctly, since the MA010 has one less gear in the servo. In all cases (MA010/MR03/MR02) the pot is attached to the final servo gear, which has almost the exact same travel as the actual steering angle at the servo saver. So I would expect that there is some difference in steering travel, but not as large as what bodom is reporting. :eek: That's unfortunately all I can help with. :o

lfisminiz 2011.12.18 06:33 PM

You should not have any trouble with the higher radio setting. ALL my cars have an 03 board in them....F-1, AWD, 02. ALL my radio setting are higher than the recomended 70/70 etc...I have been racing with them all with the higher radio setting with no trouble at all.:)

lfisminiz 2011.12.18 06:34 PM

My 03 cars with 03 boards do have lower radio setting. I think its just a difference in the 03 board when put in other cars other than a 03.

GIHOSU 2011.12.19 11:35 AM

The difference is not in the electronics. There is one major difference between the servo gears in an MR-03 and the older gears in the MR-02/015s and the MA-010s that explains the differences in steering with the 03 board swap.

If you look closely at the servo gears and compare the final gears with the peg, the distance from the pivot point of the gears to the center of the peg that moves the arm is 4mm on the older gears and 7mm on the new ones that are used in the 03. That longer final gear, which is essentially a servo horn, makes the arm to the servo saver swing on a larger radius and so 03 servo moves more distance for each degree of gear rotation than the older cars. This change in geometry is a roughly 40% difference.

I am using 90% steering travel on my Helios with my MA-010 with an 03 board, on all my other cars I use 50-65% steering travel depending on the setup. My radio settings needed to have increased travel to account for the decreased steering throw from using a old servo gear set with an 03 board. It is like installing a longer servo horn on a bigger scale car.

Bodom 2011.12.20 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIHOSU (Post 425879)

That pretty much explains everything :)
Thank you!