Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Setups (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Questions about 90mm Hi roof hatchback bodies (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39872)

dameetz 2014.08.14 12:13 AM

Questions about 90mm Hi roof hatchback bodies

I m interested in running hi roof hatchback bodies coz it looks cute and fun to drive around. I hope if I started this many of my friends will follow and we can start a new racing class at my local club. I m particularly interested in these bodies:

Mini cooper S JCW
Toyota Vits
Fiat Abarth
Citroen WRC

Now before i buy these bodies I have a few question regarding what stuff do I need for it to handle very good. I will be running this using my MR03 chassis at my local track which is using smooth side RCP with a very good traction.

Motor pod:
- I plan to get the PN mount MR9094 - as it can be use with a disc damper although i need to buy it separately. Having said this, will a normal MR03 ball diff fit into this motor pod?

Wheel:
-I know these bodies will require a narrow wheels at the rear. What is their usual offsets?
- Can I fit a wide rear wheel (11mm), if yes what offset and what bodies that can fit with no problem at all.

Tyres:
-We usually run K30 (trued to 22-23mm) upfront with PN Parada 5/6deg rear tyres. For these bodies set up will i need a different tyres (possible harder front)? Please give suggestions which one have you guys been running successfully.
- If i have to run narrow rear tyres, which tyre is good for it?

Motor:
-What are the motor limit this bodies can handle? I m planning to run the stock ECO brushless motor or maybe a 5000kv motor. Comment please....

Those are all I can think about at the moment, if you guys have any suggestions on what else do I need to get please advice me. Thanks.

dwight 2014.08.14 01:42 AM

90 mm

You should start out with k40 on the front to keep it from rolling over. And the pn pod is good but the old atomic pod is better and it take a a puck to but just one and that's on the top

herman 2014.08.14 05:08 AM

having a 90mm high mount class is pretty fun... my answers in yellow

Motor pod:
- I plan to get the PN mount MR9094 - as it can be use with a disc damper although i need to buy it separately. Having said this, will a normal MR03 ball diff fit into this motor pod?
sorry wish i could be of more help... i think this can be used but not sure

Wheel:
-I know these bodies will require a narrow wheels at the rear. What is their usual offsets?
- Can I fit a wide rear wheel (11mm), if yes what offset and what bodies that can fit with no problem at all.
you can make up your own rules regarding the rim/tire combination... but to make things simple, just run the body with the corresponding rim that came with it... i don't think 11mm rims will fit... unless they are inset (as opposed to offset) since most of the bodies you mentioned require a 0n offset rear... anything wider, would make the wheel stick out of the wheel well... :D

Tyres:
-We usually run K30 (trued to 22-23mm) upfront with PN Parada 5/6deg rear tyres. For these bodies set up will i need a different tyres (possible harder front)? Please give suggestions which one have you guys been running successfully.
- If i have to run narrow rear tyres, which tyre is good for it?
sorry wish i could be of more help here... generally soft rear, hard front... depending on the track surface... if you experience traction rolling go to a harder front... you could go as far as to regulating the tires to use so that it would be fair for everyone... again it's up to you

Motor:
-What are the motor limit this bodies can handle? I m planning to run the stock ECO brushless motor or maybe a 5000kv motor. Comment please....
i've never tried brushless on a 90mm hm setup before... you really don't need to go fast to have fun... i've read that there was a club who mandated a box stock 90mm hm race... meaning you run your chassis right out of the box... with the exception of tires of course...

=====

these are just basically guidelines and suggestions, however, how you want to run your race will be all up to you... if you want it fun and simple... go box stock and the only modification will be tire choice... which you may regulate as well...

for me the main idea is to have fun by allowing more participants in a class that would be equitable to everybody, such that not one racer will have an unfair advantage of another...

good luck... :D

Pierro 2014.08.14 08:16 AM

Hi!

And welcome to the mini-band if I may say... :)

In Belgium we have a HM cup for two years now. But we are racing much more stock. Last year was the rule book mainly base on stock pod, only bearing, springs, Carbon T-bar and kyosho damper allowed. All body that could fit the HM pod were allowed, meaning we could run some RM and AWD cars.

As for motor pod, having using both the PN, the HM stock mount and the atomic 90mm pod, I would go for the atomic first gen pod as Dwight or the original plastic. Lower position of the whole assembly for the atomic means more clearance for all possible bodies. But if your idea is to go for hatchback, then the PN or original should be good too.

No problem for the dif. Same size as on all other motor mount. Only the second version of the atomic mount is narrower but it comes with a narrower dif shaft that allows to use wide on the rear even for narrow bodies.

As for tires; this year we have to stick to K20 or 30 radials. Last year I used K20 at rear and k30 or 40 at front depending on the track. You can also use PN 6 at rear.

Motor: No idea about the brushless... Last year we used the stock kyosho motor. Plenty of fun and the biggest challenge was not to fine tune your chassis as to use most of the motor power without traction rolling.
This year we use the R246 "enjoy battle" motor. Fun if you have other cars on the track. Really boring if you're alone. I would go for a box stock motor that is enough for those chassis with the HM mount. If you use Pn or atomic, you might go to a bigger motor but I would prefer to keep a limited one as to favour battle.

On the body side, go for the Vitz. This is the most RCP friendly and with some minor tweak can be a bomb on the track. The DS would be second, then Fiat and Mini. There's also the Lancia Delta or the brera that you can try.

Good luck with this!

dameetz 2014.08.14 10:31 AM

The reason I m going brushless is most of the guys here are new and started mini z ing with brushless and the current interest is towards brushless as well, so to keep the budget tight we just need to convert our existing chassis to HM without buying a new set of brushed board. The slowest motor we have is either the stock ECO (blue) motor and Atomic VSX 5000kv.

Now regarding the motor mount, can you guys give me a link on the mentioned Atomic mount? I cant find it anywhere, or is it not available anymore. Our easiest choice would be the PN mount because we have a PN distributor here.

If i use the PN mount, which T plate should I get? The MM or the RM and which stiffness?

I m really hoping someone knows about the wide rear wheel fitment, i saw on some online shops about -1 offset rear wide wheel, will that fit the bodies? It will be easier for us to get the tyres that we already know that really work on our track.

Thanks for the feed back so far guys.

lfisminiz 2014.08.14 11:58 AM

Pn mm plates. Try #4 and 5 first.

byebye 2014.08.14 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwight (Post 453143)
You should start out with k40 on the front to keep it from rolling over. And the pn pod is good but the old atomic pod is better and it take a a puck to but just one and that's on the top

I second this. I always run 40's for short wheel based high mount and rm mount set ups. I usually use a stiff T-plate with a lot of dampening.

cowboysir 2014.08.14 08:27 PM

Ive built a 90mm mid motor chassis to have fun occasionally with our other club members who have Fiat Abarth set up with HM mounts and slay the field.

I use the 90mm PN mount with a standard ball diff width.

I use narrow rims with Kyosho 20deg medium wide (10mm) as my rear tire and Kyosho 30deg narrow on narrow rims as front...i only traction roll if I cook corner entry (which happens frequently due to my status as terrible driver:D) but I might try a set of 40's as has been suggested here. This of course is built on an MR03 narrow.

I tend towards the stiff front/soft rear and it seems to work on this chassis.

Hope you get everyone into an HM body....its fun when everyone is competing on equal-ish terms.

gctkaz 2014.08.15 12:13 PM

I do not have any hatchback bodies but I can share my experience with 90mm narrow rear end - I run a Nissan S15 body which in basic form is 90mm, 0*narrow all around. Built on a MR-02 with a narrow front end conversion. It really helps to have the 02/03 flat battery configuration rather than the 015 stack config.

Regarding the use of wide rear tires, I use the Atomic #AR-265-V2, along with -1* wide rear wheels. The end result is a +0.5mm on each side which does not cause any problems with the wheel well. I don't think it's possible to get an offset any greater than -1* as the rim will contact the spur gear.

As others have mentioned, use a hard front tire - I use Kyosho 40* (given to me by cowboysir incidentally), on Atomic 19mm S6 wheels to lower the front end just a tiny bit.

I have a 60T motor installed although it would be much more stable with a 70T. It's really fun and looks good! I'm just not into the supercar style...

Mike Keely 2014.12.05 06:45 PM

I have ran the VW bug body and got the 0 degree wide rear rims under that body. K40 fronts with medium soft front springs. I am running the Reflex front end on that car with the long kingpins and using the springs over the upper A arms.