Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z Monster MM-01 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   SSMT Questions (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19747)

cunnibra 2005.11.03 07:36 PM

SSMT Questions

Hello everyone, I've been reading the forums for a little while and was looking to get a MZM, but after reading some of the good reviews on the SSMT I decided to go with that. I bought it today and it is the first RC I have ever purchased. I like the quickness of the Monster (a friend has one), but I'm on a pretty tight budget and the SSMT seemed like a great way to get into the hobby. So I have a few questions for the experts. Please pardon the noobness.

First, how do I go about locking the front diff? I read on another forum that you can buy some lock washers and put them in there, but I think that might have been for the 1/43 and I have the 1/24. I have also heard mention of super glue, but I'm not sure where or how much to put in there. Can anybody help?

Secondly, I am interested in the full propo Idea as well as the steering mod, but I don't have any spare parts laying around to use so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a list of the parts needed and where I should look for them. Remember, I'm looking for budget stuff here so if you know where I can get a PCB, etc. cheap that would help. Can this stuff be found used here on the forum? I'm guessing I will need a new radio and crystals too right?

I guess that is enough questions for now. Sorry for the long post, but I'm really excited about this and I can't wait to get started. I'm surprised I've stopped driving this little truck long enough to type this. It's too much fun.

DogbreathRacing 2005.11.03 07:55 PM

There are two ways to lock the SSMT diffs, one is to use silly putty in the gears, locks them up tight but can be removed later if needed. The other way is to glue everything tight with super glue, but once it's done it's done!

Open the front and rear gear cases and remove the diffs (big round green things) remove the small screws that hold the diffs together, they should pop open now, add your locking agent and reassemble.

To go full propo you will need a Kyosho or Iwaver board with steering pot, a radio, and a set of crystals.

The radio is porbably the easiest part to get...many members here have several spare stock radios laying around that they will gladly send you for a nominal fee.

The PCB board will be a little more involved to get, I'm not sure if they have them here in the shop or not, you might post in the MISC. section to see if anyone has a spare for sale....I know Gasman has them sometimes.

Good luck, let me know if you need more help.

El Tigre 2005.11.03 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunnibra
Hello everyone, I've been reading the forums for a little while and was looking to get a MZM, but after reading some of the good reviews on the SSMT I decided to go with that. I bought it today and it is the first RC I have ever purchased. I like the quickness of the Monster (a friend has one), but I'm on a pretty tight budget and the SSMT seemed like a great way to get into the hobby. So I have a few questions for the experts. Please pardon the noobness.

First, how do I go about locking the front diff? I read on another forum that you can buy some lock washers and put them in there, but I think that might have been for the 1/43 and I have the 1/24. I have also heard mention of super glue, but I'm not sure where or how much to put in there. Can anybody help?

Secondly, I am interested in the full propo Idea as well as the steering mod, but I don't have any spare parts laying around to use so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a list of the parts needed and where I should look for them. Remember, I'm looking for budget stuff here so if you know where I can get a PCB, etc. cheap that would help. Can this stuff be found used here on the forum? I'm guessing I will need a new radio and crystals too right?

I guess that is enough questions for now. Sorry for the long post, but I'm really excited about this and I can't wait to get started. I'm surprised I've stopped driving this little truck long enough to type this. It's too much fun.

Welcome to the forum, I have seen these trucks and some Mini Z Monster parts may fit, like the oil shocks, but I personally havent tested it. As far as making a propo out of it, I'm sure its possible, but with the time and money you will have invested, I would maybe look the way of the Mini Z Monster, XMods Truck or even the Iwaver monster, which appears to be somewhat original if they ever get here. Its your call my friend, its seems a shame to tear apart a nice car that you apparently enjoy using, just to mod it into some Frankensteins monster. In my opinion, leave it alone, buy the stuff that SuperSlicks has for it and when you get bored/unchallenged, move up. Anyway, like the old public service announcments used to say, "Your the boss, its your choice, its your money, so think before you speeeend!" (That last little stretch of the word spend was of the owl puppet zooming away in a toy sports car with some other talking abomination of the animal kingdom, I think.....???) I have a feeling Arch2B will remember those P.S. announcements, heck, anyone else remember those things? Sorry Cunnibra, I just hijacked this thread.

DogbreathRacing 2005.11.08 07:45 AM

hehehehe, at this time the SSMT is a move up (Since no one else can seem to put any kind of 4X4 together) The propo mod is simple, and at the cost of an Iwaver board you still only have $40.00 in the truck, alot less tan any other propo truck and (I think I already said this once or twice..) it's four wheel drive! :D

Wanna racer buy a Kyosho MZM, wanna cheaper racer buy an Iwaver 04, wanna even cheaper 4X4 Crawler buy a SSMT :)

I have no idea how some people can make judgement calls without even putting thier hands on the product.......the blind leading the blind :(

jaejw1 2005.12.08 12:34 PM

im in the same baot as the thread starter.. i saw these at toy-r-us and was tempted to buy but wanted to do more reading on them,, im not new to rc's i own a rc18t,micro rs4, 2 xtm xcellerators and 2 sb sport 4wd buggies... but i have no clue on what is needed for someone that is doing the 1:24 thing for the very first time,,

would it be best to just get the iwaver truck that way there is no need for upgrades and tear-downs or is getting the ssmt still a better buy eventhough i have to purchase all this stuff just to make it worthy.. im not ito climbing,, but i do like a lil speed and the lil drifting i can do on my hardwood floors..

i would probably just race the lil bugger inside the house and have lil jumps for it in the hall way ...

has anyone done lipos for it???
for the ssmt can you use a small esc from 1/18th scales??
has anyone tried jumping these trucks..??

if buying the ssmt is better and cheaper than any other eventhough i have nothing to mod it with.. i may buy several of them for me, my son and my nephews

SuperFly 2005.12.08 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaejw1
im in the same baot as the thread starter.. i saw these at toy-r-us and was tempted to buy but wanted to do more reading on them,, im not new to rc's i own a rc18t,micro rs4, 2 xtm xcellerators and 2 sb sport 4wd buggies... but i have no clue on what is needed for someone that is doing the 1:24 thing for the very first time,,

would it be best to just get the iwaver truck that way there is no need for upgrades and tear-downs or is getting the ssmt still a better buy eventhough i have to purchase all this stuff just to make it worthy.. im not ito climbing,, but i do like a lil speed and the lil drifting i can do on my hardwood floors..

i would probably just race the lil bugger inside the house and have lil jumps for it in the hall way ...

has anyone done lipos for it???
for the ssmt can you use a small esc from 1/18th scales??
has anyone tried jumping these trucks..??

if buying the ssmt is better and cheaper than any other eventhough i have nothing to mod it with.. i may buy several of them for me, my son and my nephews

Based on your description of what you want to do, I'd go for the MZM or the iW04. Running around the house and jumping will cause something to break on the SSMT eventually.

Then again, I find the SSMT pretty fun right out of the box, and fully modded you're still only $40 into it. They just won't live long if you drive them fast.

DogbreathRacing 2005.12.08 10:35 PM

Agreed, if your gonna jump it or race it then get a MZM or IW04, the SSMT is best suited as a low speed crawler for those who want a full time 4X4 with full propo control

jaejw1 2005.12.09 03:33 PM

well if that is the case then maybe i should jut buy a bunch for my nephews and my son,, and then get myself an iwaver,, if i can still find them,, www.************.com no longer sells the monster truck..

DogbreathRacing 2005.12.09 07:23 PM

TE has the new Monsters with LCD digital transmitter for $89 free shipping :)

jaejw1 2005.12.10 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogbreathRacing
TE has the new Monsters with LCD digital transmitter for $89 free shipping :)

TE???? what place is this and where can i find them

hobbycar 2005.12.11 11:35 PM

You can apparently get the IW-04 Monster Truck from this site's store on sale for $70

this site's minizracers.com store

new shop.tiny.rc store

Double check to make sure they are in stock.

TE is overseas and who shipping time seems to vary greatly from what I've read from several people in this forum.

Bclark 2006.01.20 12:25 PM

Ok, so being new to the tiny rc truck stuff, and loving my SSMT , I tried out the diff lock with
silly putty and while it worked at first, it seems after a few min.. it gets soft or quits holding
and the gears go back to being a unlocked diff?

Ideas or hints as to how to do this with out making it permanet?

Also I have always been a bit confused about what the pros and cons are of having the dif locked vs. unlocked since most cars come with an unlocked diff? Does it cause the car to be
slower? etc.. just always wondered

Also .. what kind of batteries are people running in their truck.. I am looking at some of the 2500ohm energizer recharables since it seems to eat up normla battries.

Lets see also my last two questions .. has any one used any other light kits like form the xmods etc to hook in to the light plug on the truck ( I don't have any of the upgrade kits)

and same goes for other motors- any one found other motors/gears that work.. just wanted to tweak and play with out having ot just by the upgrade kits:) I will get the offroad kit some day:) I guess in the same line of thought.. how does the truck deal with having bigger tires since that can throw off the gearing ratios...it would be nice to give it a bit more lift with taller tires.

thanks for the help and for the great forum and giving me some new ways to have fun with a hobby I have been away from for a long time.

SuperFly 2006.01.20 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bclark
Ok, so being new to the tiny rc truck stuff, and loving my SSMT , I tried out the diff lock with
silly putty and while it worked at first, it seems after a few min.. it gets soft or quits holding
and the gears go back to being a unlocked diff?

Ideas or hints as to how to do this with out making it permanet?

Also I have always been a bit confused about what the pros and cons are of having the dif locked vs. unlocked since most cars come with an unlocked diff? Does it cause the car to be
slower? etc.. just always wondered

Also .. what kind of batteries are people running in their truck.. I am looking at some of the 2500ohm energizer recharables since it seems to eat up normla battries.

Lets see also my last two questions .. has any one used any other light kits like form the xmods etc to hook in to the light plug on the truck ( I don't have any of the upgrade kits)

and same goes for other motors- any one found other motors/gears that work.. just wanted to tweak and play with out having ot just by the upgrade kits:) I will get the offroad kit some day:) I guess in the same line of thought.. how does the truck deal with having bigger tires since that can throw off the gearing ratios...it would be nice to give it a bit more lift with taller tires.

thanks for the help and for the great forum and giving me some new ways to have fun with a hobby I have been away from for a long time.

Are you sure you're using Silly Putty and not Play-Doh? It does make a difference, and I know from experience. A locked diff will allow you climb better by not allowing any power to be diverted away from a "stuck" wheel. It comes at the expense of turning radius, but shouldn't cost you any speed. If Silly putty just isn't working, I suppose you could fill the diff with Elmer's glue and let it dry. That would be pretty easy to clean out later if you wanted to open the diff up. Otherwise, the permanent superglue solution works.

For batteries, I use Rayovac IC-3 15 minute rechargeables. Rechargeable batteries are definitely a good investment. By the time you're on your 5th or 6th set of alkalines, you will have spent as much as some good rechargeables. Get either Rayovac or Energizer 15-minute kind. The beauty of the 15 minute charge time is with two sets of batts, your next set will be done charging before the first set dies.

Bclark 2006.01.20 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly
Are you sure you're using Silly Putty and not Play-Doh? It does make a difference, and I know from experience. A locked diff will allow you climb better by not allowing any power to be diverted away from a "stuck" wheel. It comes at the expense of turning radius, but shouldn't cost you any speed. If Silly putty just isn't working, I suppose you could fill the diff with Elmer's glue and let it dry. That would be pretty easy to clean out later if you wanted to open the diff up. Otherwise, the permanent superglue solution works.

For batteries, I use Rayovac IC-3 15 minute rechargeables. Rechargeable batteries are definitely a good investment. By the time you're on your 5th or 6th set of alkalines, you will have spent as much as some good rechargeables. Get either Rayovac or Energizer 15-minute kind. The beauty of the 15 minute charge time is with two sets of batts, your next set will be done charging before the first set dies.

Yeah it is silly putty.. it might be a generic brand though.. could be the problem.
Or I did not get all the grease out of there and it is breaking down the silly putty? hmm I will have to check it out agian.

Ah so the diff is what allows for the inner and outer tires to spin at diffrent speeds to help when turning?

Yeah.. I am getting good power and runtimes from the 2500ohm energizer bats.
Just always nice to find out what other people are running and what kind of run times they get.

Thanks for the info.. any one else have any thoughts on my other questions?
thanks agian,
Brad

Ronin 2006.01.21 05:23 PM

i bought both upgrade kits, the black f150 has the lights in it. It looks really good.
can't go wrong for 10 bucks apiece. The hummer looks cool as well.

I think you mean 2500 mAh. stands for milli-amp hours. It's a power rating. Just so you know.