Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z Racer MR-02 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   MR-02ex bad steering out of the box? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37987)

ChiMiniRc 2012.04.22 09:54 PM

MR-02ex bad steering out of the box?

Has anyone had problems with an mr-02ex out of the box where the steering is weak and stop working? The behavior is like the batteries are almost dead but they are fine as the motor portion of the car is fine. You can set it down on the track and accellerate at full speed. The steering works for a little bit and gets weaker very fast and then stops. If you pick the car up and push the steering it'll work again for a little but then slow down and stop again.

Anyone out there experience it and successfully repair without sending back to kyosho?

chad508 2012.04.22 10:46 PM

i have noticed the pot wires on the ex kits are extremely tight, almost to the point of stretching the wire. its worth taking a look at it but i would send to kyosho before i did any soldering on it.

nikitzo 2012.05.07 10:56 AM

Hi,

My MR-02EX steering works pretty good and fast.

mleemor60 2012.05.07 11:33 AM

Greg. Have you checked the board programming for punch and speed settings?

nikitzo 2012.05.07 12:05 PM

Here I made a video for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkjqo...1&feature=plcp

ChiMiniRc 2012.05.07 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleemor60 (Post 432796)
Greg. Have you checked the board programming for punch and speed settings?

I did not but here is why. It turns as fast as you would expect with the fast stappy action of the 2.4ghz cars. But after a few seconds (or minutes in some cases) it would slow down and eventually stop. Turn the car off and back on and it was fine again. One theory is overheating steering. Either the steering motor itself or perhaps something on the board.

greenepa76 2012.05.21 10:11 AM

I noticed on my EX, it was doing the same thing. I pulled it apart for cleaning and double checked the steering mechanism and gears. Mine was the potentiometer dial having a very tight fit and binding up the gear stack. Physically, it was not distorting the gear stack, so it was ok. I noticed the gears were free and loose without the pot being fitted, but once on, the stack got too tight. I pulled the pot apart and cleaned it up to lubed the shaft and the contacts. Mine was probably binding up and overloading the motor causing excessive heat somewhere and making the symptoms you described worse in my case.
It's much better now with less binding. Replace the pot if you're still having issues after this. The electronics in the EX lineup aren't your typical KO propo spec'd components since these boards aren't made by them.

herman 2013.02.11 03:40 AM

Quote:

The electronics in the EX lineup aren't your typical KO propo spec'd components since these boards aren't made by them.
how's the EX performance (i.e. speed & reverse response) vs. the original ko propo spec boards?

thanks for any response :D

arch2b 2013.02.11 07:17 AM

if your not comfortable taking the pot apart or replacing it, send the PCB back for warranty replacement. once you start in with a soldering iron, you own it, fault and all.

ChiMiniRc 2013.02.11 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herman (Post 442098)
how's the EX performance (i.e. speed & reverse response) vs. the original ko propo spec boards?

thanks for any response :D

I can tell no difference between the first generation mr-02 2.4ghz board and those in the mr-02ex. Plus, the reverse delay is a little easier to work with and the bonus is, with the ICS connection, you can adjust the backtiming like you can with the mr-03.

greenepa76 2013.02.11 11:02 AM

The only isues I've had with the EX board are binding issues. Other than that, it is a decent board and chassis option with the best adjustment being the reverse delay adjustment. My EX chassis has very noisy servo gears though.

herman 2013.03.03 07:55 PM

sorry for late reply... thanks and appreciate the response guys... :D