Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Chassis (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   New 1/28 scale chassis unveiled at iHobby 2010! (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35264)

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 12:04 AM

New 1/28 scale chassis unveiled at iHobby 2010!

This isn't from Kyosho. This is from Sun Star, makers of some nice die cast cars.

There was a bit of a communications gap so I'm not 100% sure on all of this.
  • Target is 1/10 scale owners who want to supply their own electronics (RTR was using the same 2.4ghz set Hobbyking sells for surface use)
  • 4wd chassis
  • larger motor then the 130 size
  • RTR will include LiFe power and charger (not so sure here. Some type of lithium battery but not sure if LiFe or Li-ion.)
  • includes Ball Bearings
  • Uses their own body mount and bodies are lexan. Mounts are not compatible with Mini-z
  • Doesn't have a name yet and they are looking for suggestions.

First impressions.

1. Larger motor and lithium power. It's pretty darn fast
    2. AWD makes it manageable. Much better turn in than the MA-010 Kyosho AWD.
    3. Test drive on a very bumpy track and it did pretty well.
    4. Looking forward to testing of fleet at these at the www.chiminirc.com club for durability and performance.

I've got some videos up now. Getting some pics up. Only had my phone so pics and video are ugly. Tomorrow I hope to get better pics and vids.
    http://bit.ly/dj4nZq

http://files.chiminirc.com/system_pr...01021-1030.jpg

color01 2010.10.22 01:23 AM

Looks decent actually. Can you confirm if the wheels are the same as MA-010 wheels?

Also if you have any larger pictures of the car components I'm sure we can ID some of them (servo, motor, etc.). Keep us posted!

EMU 2010.10.22 01:57 AM

Any idea of when these will be available? I really want to get my hands on one and see what it can do.

It might run well with a 3.7v pack and a high RPM 130 motor... Could be comparable to a 4xAAA mini-z AWD with comparable motor...

Double wishbone front and rear looks good :)

herman 2010.10.22 02:06 AM

thanks for the info...
how is the scale against the mini-z... i.e. wheelbase, trackwidth...
will you be able to put an autoscale on it?

EMU 2010.10.22 02:16 AM

If its close in size, you should be able to put an ASC on it by the looks of it. You may have to make your own mounting though.

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMU (Post 396200)
If its close in size, you should be able to put an ASC on it by the looks of it. You may have to make your own mounting though.

I'm going to take a close look today. An autoscale would fit but bodymounts would be an issue. They went with a different method. I'll try to get that in pics today.

I'll have better pics too :) Hopefully a hi-def movie too.

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 06:05 AM

So questions I need to ask ;)

1. Availability
2. Are the wheels ma-010 compatible
3. put a mini-z autoscale on it

arch2b 2010.10.22 08:23 AM

very interesting news and look forward to your reporting.

Draconious 2010.10.22 08:47 AM

It looks like the same concept/design as my MiX chassis only upside down........... which kind of ticks me off, because I just got the funds to build the prototype for my MiX. Oh well I guess I will see how the sales, durrability, etc fare on this thing, save me a few testing stages... lol.

Hopefully they did not do it exactly how I did it, and my few "experimental" parts to save space will still make mine worth producing.

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draconious (Post 396221)
It looks like the same concept/design as my MiX chassis only upside down........... which kind of ticks me off, because I just got the funds to build the prototype for my MiX. Oh well I guess I will see how the sales, durrability, etc fare on this thing, save me a few testing stages... lol.

Hopefully they did not do it exactly how I did it, and my few "experimental" parts to save space will still make mine worth producing.

You can PM any details you are looking for. I'll try to get as many detailed pics as possible.

Draconious 2010.10.22 09:23 AM

I am curious how, or even IF, it can change wheel base lengths?

Due to its design, one part makes it look like it does it the same way the MiX does... yet the other part of the chassis makes that seem like it would be impossible... so it leaves me wondering.

I hope it is another GOOD 1:28 scale RC car to promote the hobby, but I also hope it is not TOO good, that it makes my chassis pointless to produce. ;)

Cherub1m 2010.10.22 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc (Post 396206)

1. Availability

The chassis looks great guys, I have a few questions:

I would also like to see the car run on a RCP track if you have it available. On that video I thought I saw the car go on two wheels:eek: and that's on carpet :D, RCP has more traction.

Also we're you guys using rubber tires or foam tires during that run (looks like rubber)

I know it comes with a larger motor but can you run the 130 size motor if you want to?

can does it have enough space to run 4 rechargeable AAA?

Keep up the good work.

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draconious (Post 396228)
I am curious how, or even IF, it can change wheel base lengths?

Due to its design, one part makes it look like it does it the same way the MiX does... yet the other part of the chassis makes that seem like it would be impossible... so it leaves me wondering.

I hope it is another GOOD 1:28 scale RC car to promote the hobby, but I also hope it is not TOO good, that it makes my chassis pointless to produce. ;)

The plan is to allow wheelbase changes but it is done by replacing the chassis plate. So I don't think the plan is to be quick, but different chassis lenghts and center drive shafts (since it is AWD) will be available.

ub0211042 2010.10.22 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc (Post 396206)

1. Availability

add this to the list...any current AWD parts usable on it :)

ChiMiniRc 2010.10.22 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub1m (Post 396241)
The chassis looks great guys, I have a few questions:

I would also like to see the car run on a RCP track if you have it available. On that video I thought I saw the car go on two wheels:eek: and that's on carpet :D, RCP has more traction.

Also we're you guys using rubber tires or foam tires during that run (looks like rubber)

I know it comes with a larger motor but can you run the 130 size motor if you want to?

can does it have enough space to run 4 rechargeable AAA?

Keep up the good work.

1, no RCP at the show (besides losi which has a difference surface)
2. Rubber tires but the wheels looks like it could use a wider rear wheelbase.
3. It sure looks like a 130 size motor will fit. I'll have pics up soon that show them next to each other. I'm hopnig to take it apart to see if a standard mini-z after market motor has the same mounting pattern.
4. 4 rechargable AAA doesn't look too good. Unless they have a chassis made for it. Also 4 AAA may require a soldered pack vs the snap in batteries we Mini-z folks are use to.