Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mini-Z Overland MV-01 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How to make an ASF 2.4GHz Overland? (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41261)

BitChar-G 2018.06.28 07:22 PM

How to make an ASF 2.4GHz Overland?

Can I just use an MR-03 board or does the Overland require a special board?

I know Kyosho released a 2.4 ASF chassis kit with no body but it looks to be long discontinued.

arch2b 2018.06.29 06:55 AM

One thing to check on is if the current MR-03 servo motor will fit within the Overland servo gearbox assembly. The early ASF boards used the old servo motor and has since switched over to the coreless servo motor which may be different in size?

You will likely need to rewire the steering as I'm sure the MR-03 wires to the pot and servo motor may not be long enough.

Overall, I'm sure it's possible, just a question of how much effort and which ASF board.

BitChar-G 2018.06.29 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch2b (Post 465679)
One thing to check on is if the current MR-03 servo motor will fit within the Overland servo gearbox assembly. The early ASF boards used the old servo motor and has since switched over to the coreless servo motor which may be different in size?

You will likely need to rewire the steering as I'm sure the MR-03 wires to the pot and servo motor may not be long enough.

Overall, I'm sure it's possible, just a question of how much effort and which ASF board.

Hmm, so it's even possible the MV-03 chassis also had an update to the servo motor? I have yet to buy an Overland, reason why I ask. I am looking at an older AM one right now.

Can all the ASF boards handle the servo motor variants or do I need to match them to the servo motor?

I have no problem soldering whatever needs to be soldered/extended/etc. I just want everything to fit proper and work proper, as the Kyosho released ASF MV-03 chassis kit would have.

Main reason is so I can use one modern radio between my Mini-Zs. Trying to de-clutter, by of course, buying more Mini-Zs....

cowboysir 2018.06.29 08:57 PM

If the AM overland uses a servo motor similar to an mr02 then there shouldn't be a problem removing the 03 servo motor. I would think there only issue you'd have is you have to swap the motor polarity on the board so you get correct motor travel/ spin for the 3 gear servo (an 03 has a 4 gear servo and therefore the travel/spin is opposite).

gctkaz 2018.07.19 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboysir (Post 465681)
If the AM overland uses a servo motor similar to an mr02 then there shouldn't be a problem removing the 03 servo motor. I would think there only issue you'd have is you have to swap the motor polarity on the board so you get correct motor travel/ spin for the 3 gear servo (an 03 has a 4 gear servo and therefore the travel/spin is opposite).

I thought the boards using the coreless servo motor and the cored servo motor were programmed differently... or maybe it is the case you describe after all, it makes sense to me.

If I were to make such a swap, I would get one of those knockoff boards that from Banggood that are sold as AWD versions. I have successfully done two conversions of AM MR-02 this way.

cowboysir 2018.07.20 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gctkaz (Post 465765)
I thought the boards using the coreless servo motor and the cored servo motor were programmed differently... or maybe it is the case you describe after all, it makes sense to me.

If I were to make such a swap, I would get one of those knockoff boards that from Banggood that are sold as AWD versions. I have successfully done two conversions of AM MR-02 this way.

I've had success taking 03 boards (with the coreless servo motor) and swapping into chassis with the 02 style of servo motors.

You cannot take an ASF board from an F1/AWD and swap in a coreless motor and install into an MR03...the servo motor reacts weirdly (jumpy/bouncy steering when returning to center)

bobbyz 2020.06.11 12:20 AM

Old thread, but since I've had a bit of time, I put an extra MR-03 ASF board into a Mini-z Monster (essentially an overland, since same chassis core and servo gears are used) Works fine. I just ran servo wires long from the both the board, and servo housing. My initial wiring necessitated switching the steering channel to Reverse to get correct steering, but then I decided I was being lazy and changed the channel back to Normal, and just re-soldered the wires.

No issues with using the older/larger servo motor vs the smaller coreless for the swap. Having to use all three wires for the pot did prove challenging, since the old AM variants and initial 2.4ghz boards had just 2 wires to the pot. It took a little extra trimming inside the servo cover to get the wires to all fit, and the cover on without binding any servo gears. You will need an older donor switch, as the MR-03 switch does not fit in the Overland/Monster chassis.

Old AM Mini-z Monster runs great on 2.4ghz ASF now!