Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motor Tech (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   motors 101 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2759)

herman 2002.05.15 02:32 AM

motors 101

er since i'm practically new to this topic, can anybody give me a simple rundown on electric motors? can anybody point out a website that can help me out on this topic?

i've got a couple of questions as well...

what will less winds do? result in more torque or more speed?
how many ways can you wind an armature?
how do you balance the armature?
what's an axis?
what's a commutator?

given the same number of winds....
- what will a thicker gauge wire do?
- what will a stronder magnet do?

any other info would be helpful :D

Russ 2002.05.15 04:48 AM

Re: motors 101

Quote:

Originally posted by herman

what will less winds do? result in more torque or more speed?
how many ways can you wind an armature?
how do you balance the armature?
what's an axis?
what's a commutator?

given the same number of winds....
- what will a thicker gauge wire do?
- what will a stronder magnet do?

Less winds will increase the top speed of the motor a little if you are using the same gauge wire. If you have a stock mini-z motor and unwind 1/2 of the winds, you won't get much torque out of it, but you will get a higher top speed. The real power comes from less winds with thicker wire. In general, about the same amount of material is wound around the armature in mod vs. stock, but if you go for less winds, you will need thicker gauge wire to show a real improvement.

Many many different ways.... First off there are turns, or how many times the wire is wound around the armature, and is usually spoken of as 28T for a 28 turn motor. Then there are words like "single, double, triple..." This means that you run 2 wires in parallel around the armature. It simulates a thicker gauge, but still isn't as good as using a thicker gague. There are good reasons for doing this though, such as a speed motor. The more wires you have, ie double vs. single, the more top-end torque you will have, but from a standstill it won't be anything impressive. When you wind more than one wire, there is a process called layering. You could just wind both wires in the same path together, but if you layer for example a 28T double, you would wrap one wire 28T around one of the armature wings, then the other wire would get 28T also...just wind one wire then the other instead of along side eachother.

When you get done winding a motor, it is more than likely going to be a little lop-sided, and vibrate when it spins (if it spins at all LOL) I usually balance the armature out with solder on the little tabs where the wires loop over. If your motor is out of balance, it just means that there is a little more wire, or weight for that matter, on one side of the armature than the other...same idea as balancing the tires on your car so you don't get a wicked vibration around 65 mph.

axis??? LOL

The commutator are the 3 plates that the brushes rub on. They work very similar to the firing order of a real car's engine. When a brush rubs a certain plate on the comm, it is grounded to another plate with the second brush, which activates one of the three wire loops on the armature, which turns it into an electro-magnet and pulls it torwards the positive or negative maginet, depending on what way the power is run through the motor. As the armature spins, the brushes keep contacting different plates and activating the next wire loop, and again pulling the armature around torwards the magnets.

Usually when you wind a motor, the 3 wire loops on the armature are about full, so if you used a thicker gauge wire, it wouldn't fit, so you kinda have to use a smaller number of winds. If you do use the same number of winds with a thicker gauge though, you will get more torque because the electromagnets made from the wire loops will have more current in them with less resistance (fatter vs. skinnier wires)

Stronger magnets will increase the overall full-range torque of the motor.

Anyone feel free to correct me and add to my big long list of babble ;)

Hope this helps!!

Mondo 2002.05.15 06:39 AM

Russ' explaination

Russ,

You summed it all up.. :D

herman 2002.05.15 11:03 PM

although i'm not one to re-wind an armature anytime soon, thanks a ton russ... hope others learn from this :D

Russ 2002.05.15 11:39 PM

No problem :) glad I could help out. Also, this may help those first time re-winders out there....

Lets say you are rewinding your stock motor. You fix one end of the wire to one of the comm tabs, then wrap N number of turns, then loop over the next comm tab. Everywhere a wire is touching a comm tab, you must scrape off the yellowish coating until you see silver showing through. I know it doesn't look like it, but that big mess of gold wire you unwound is actually a tiny tiny silver wire with a shielding around it.

I wish they still did the 39 cent cheeseburgers at McDonalds....grrrrrr......