Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   FAQ (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Camber (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279)

SkylineR34man 2002.04.07 01:19 PM

what does this do???????

I am going to buy some new alloy front nuckles, but they come only in 3 degre. What does the 3 degre nuckles do?? oh btw the alloy ones are a bit expensive so how are the nylon ones??? nay good?
thanks in advanced
Skyline

mryung 2002.04.07 05:46 PM

For my opinion, I suggest you to buy the nylon one instead of alloy because nylon one is durable enough and light in weight.

Russ 2002.04.07 06:43 PM

the 3 degree means 3 degrees of camber, as in the tops of the wheels tilt inward 3 degrees. I replace my plastic parts with alloy as I break them and see the need for alloy in a certain place. I broke a set of nylon knuckles, and therefore upgraded to alloy 2 degree :)

If you are looking at the front of the car, the front tires will look like this:

/---\

It adds traction when turning, and creates more oversteer, but only if your tires are flat across and not rounded like the new, stock, kyosho tires.

Hope this helps!!

Wedginator 2002.04.07 08:58 PM

so Russ, which is the better camber angle? 3 deg or 2 deg?

Russ 2002.04.07 10:19 PM

hard to tell somtimes, but mostly depends on how much your car pushes in the turns, or how much understeer it has, and if you want to get rid if it.

I run 2 degree, if that says anything. But yeah, I just can't say which one is the best, because sometimes 1 deg. is the best, and sometimes 3 is the best, ya know??

SkylineR34man 2002.04.07 10:49 PM

Thanks 4 taking ur time writing Russ it helped alot!!!!!!!!!!

mini-z 2002.04.08 08:21 PM

SkylineR34man, I would avoid the nylon ones, they are really fragile. Go with the alloys.

PorscheGuy964 2002.04.09 02:59 AM

R34man, yes you definatly should go with alloy steering knuckles. They won't break,although I'm sure someone with someday, and the travel alot smoother along the kingpin, even more so if its a stainless steel king pin. Plus nothing beats the look of ally parts on a mini-z....

herman 2002.04.11 12:44 AM

yep... having more camber (the higher the degree's) will have you turn more aggresively into the turns. choosing the right camber would depend on how aggresive you would want to turn into the curves, and how technical the track is. normally the more turns the track has, the more camber you want.

to turn more aggresively into turns you can try this, take out the stabilizer bar in front, and place the springs over the steering knuckle where the steering pins are... aside from making your car turn more aggresively into the curves, this provides independent suspension (without costing a cent :D)... hope this helps.

Ken Mifune 2002.04.11 08:53 AM

what camber?

Isn't real camber when you change the angle of the axis of steering? In this case it would be the angle of the king pin.
So, to increase camber you would need to angle the king pin back. (or back and in).

Russ 2002.04.11 09:04 AM

Ken, that's caster ;) Camber is indeed tilting the tops of the wheels in, and caster is the rake of the kingpin. And toe is toe. Hehehe...

Ken Mifune 2002.04.11 10:39 AM

I thought caster is how far the axle is set back from the king pin.