Mini-ZRacer.com Forums

Mini-ZRacer.com Forums (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RCP Support Forum (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   RCP Tracks 30cm to 50cm Adapter Tiles (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15596)

Twenty-Se7en 2004.10.25 09:32 PM

when are we going to see the mini-tile to 50cm tile conversion??

Draconious 2004.10.25 10:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A long time ago I gave RCP a 2D drawing of a working Transition concept... here is the latest in 3D ;) it actualy matches up pretty damn good... lots of possibilities with it.

Twenty-Se7en 2004.10.25 11:19 PM

when I visualized it in my head I saw the 50cm narrowing to the mini-tile width ... like what you did there as well though :)

Draconious 2004.10.26 12:18 AM

The original plan was for a 50cm to narrow down... drew those first... but the possibilities where VERY LIMITED... this is exactly 1/5th of the 50cm tiles and exactly 1/3rd of the 30cm tiles... wich makes it blend well ... the 10cm works every other tile it will mesh perfectly back to the other size... and if it dont you can swap the transition tiles.. and it will move 10mm in the other direction... perfection ;)

Twenty-Se7en 2004.10.26 07:47 AM

sounds much nicer :)
You don't happen to know what RCP is planning do you?

Maxfield 2004.10.26 05:16 PM

Very elegant work Draconius. I'll be experimenting with some of the blanks and rail sections to do a homemade transition while we're all waiting for a precut transition pack. I'll post some pics if it works out.

Anyway you can show some close ups of that last transition idea of yours. (I have your other three designs saved also, hehe.)

Thanks again.

Draconious 2004.10.26 06:03 PM

I split this thread, since the last few posts were about Trans tiles and not the expansion blank set... Its a simple concept realy... could be made with a pair of 50cm tiles... and have some bulk foam left over... Pondering making one my self ;) but I dont have real 30cm tiles yet.. I sort of fudged those in 3D I had just enough known dimensions... to make it at least 98% accurate... if its worse than that when iget a real tile Ill redraw it I guess lol... I gota have it perfect or im not happy ;).

If you go by the tile... it has corners.. ^ shaped this marks the 4 corners of the 50cm and 30cm grid... imaginary box...

If you make the trans tile 10cm long from corner to corner, and 100cm wide (2 50cm tiles).. you will get the 50cm side... then you just line up 3 of the 30cm tiles on the other... and cut along the edge of the 30cm tile.. and you can prolly make it your self... I forgot that the pattern was mirrored on the 30cm and 50cm so in my drawing its basicly wrong on the 50cm side... just need to mirror the one side I guess...

This is the realy old concept... that I based the 3D one on.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attach...chmentid=10185

Added a Trans3.jpg in the post above that is sort of a close up... remember the puzzle pattern needs to be swapped on the 50cm tiles... cuz its backwards from the 30cm

TNB 2004.10.26 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfield
Very elegant work Draconius. I'll be experimenting with some of the blanks and rail sections to do a homemade transition while we're all waiting for a precut transition pack. I'll post some pics if it works out.

I've been working on my own which are based on RCP's photos of taping the different tiles flat-to-flat. Notice the bridge. The tile at the bottom of the bridge is duct taped to the road course rail--those two pieces do not have the locks. The red corners still "barely" attach. I also cut the side locks of a few tiles and cut out the holes to fit the rails--the tiles going up the bridge and down the other side. I still need to do some more work on the other side though and will probably just have that piece end up flat--making two conversion pieces: One for each tile set up. When I took that photo, the other side dropped down onto the track which I could do with either the 50cm or the 30cm tile tracks.

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album..._Layout_2_0red

rlc77 2004.10.26 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
when are we going to see the mini-tile to 50cm tile conversion??

Refer to this thread for your answer.

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14670

RCP says they will not develop the conversion because this solution seems to work.

I am waiting for my hole plugs to show up to try it.
:)

TNB 2004.10.26 10:03 PM

I made plugs from the scrap pieces of tile I used to fit on the bridge. I simply traced around the inside of one of the holes in the tiles pieces with an x-acto knife. I then dremeled one of the plastic fasteners to a finer edge and imprinted a better circle on the tile, then cut out the circle which also made a plug. After that I duct taped the plug to the tile holes I wanted to plug up--most of which were used on the bridge anyway.

Twenty-Se7en 2004.10.26 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlc77
Refer to this thread for your answer.

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14670

RCP says they will not develop the conversion because this solution seems to work.

I am waiting for my hole plugs to show up to try it.
:)

Did RCP really pull the plug no releasing these??

I thought that they were going to do it?

Maxfield 2004.10.29 12:11 AM

Hey Drac -

From a construction standpoint, it would seem that the gently narrowing tiles would be the easiest to make. (I was thinking of cutting a a couple of 50cm straights in half and narrowing it and making a new 30cm key on the flat "cut" side.) Why do think this would be VERY LIMITED as you put it above. I, obviously, don't want to start slicing up foam if I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

Ken Mifune 2004.10.29 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfield
...making a new 30cm key on the flat "cut" side...

How would you cut that 30cm link pattern? It's a huge task to cut them accurately by hand. You might be better off to cut 50cm and 30cm tiles and glue them together. You would only need 2 straight 50cm tiles, 2 straight 30cm tiles and 1 blank 30cm.

Draconious 2004.10.29 04:44 AM

There is about say, maybe 10 times more layout possibilities witht he 10cm sizes... the problem is when it meets back to the other section ... with the 10cm there is only a small amount of miss match points, were u have to reconfigure to get it to reattach, with a full tile there are more... realy only matters with complicated setups... and using 10mm allows you to use less space with theadapter... less material etc... you would only need 2 50cm tiles to make them, and still have left over... with a 50cm that tapers your gona wind up using more than just the 2 tiles...

many other possibilities... thats just the one I liked.

Twenty-Se7en 2004.10.29 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Mifune
How would you cut that 30cm link pattern? It's a huge task to cut them accurately by hand. You might be better off to cut 50cm and 30cm tiles and glue them together. You would only need 2 straight 50cm tiles, 2 straight 30cm tiles and 1 blank 30cm.

I agree 100%... cutting the key pattern by hand would be insanely hard... I cant imagine it fitting well ... so gluing one of each together would be perfect.